Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: China or Taiwan anyone?

Default Re: China or Taiwan anyone?

I got a Skype interview with Reach To Teach next Monday at 9:30am. That is how I will spend part of my Golden Week.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

For JETs in Japan who want to go on a short trip to China, how do you go about that? Is it possible to apply for a visa in Japan to go to China?

Anyone gone to China during JET?

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

there are a few ways to go about it/ if you book your tickets through a travel agent they will usually processes your visa for you/ just send them your passport/

or if you only plan on visiting southern china i know you can fly into hong kong and then at the boarder you can get 1,3 or week long visas at the boarder/ then getting to0 shenzhen and guangzhou is really easy.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Many times.

Like Mark says but I'd like to add that you'll find it cheaper to go through a visa agency (unless you live in a city with a Chinese consulate). The travel agents will do it but they charge an exorbitant fee.

China's a great travel option from Japan though. Even regional airports often have scheduled flights to Beijing, Shanghai, Dalian and stuff.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Near Candy Mountain past the Banana King's castle

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi! I've been teaching in Taiwan for the past 3 months and love it here.
    我爱台北

I had looked into Hess International in Taiwan.

English Teachers | HESS EDUCATIONAL ORGANIZATION

It's pretty competetive because after a year of teaching and attending infrequent seminars, you end up with a TEFL certificate which would help you get better employment later.
    shortlisted!

Quote Originally Posted by cielya View Post

It's pretty competetive because after a year of teaching and attending infrequent seminars, you end up with a TEFL certificate which would help you get better employment later.
    Eh... a TEFL is kinda "meh." You can get one for a couple of hundred bucks and a little correspondence on the internet. Probably for less money and effort that that, actually. You DON'T get a TEFL cert from JET, but I guarantee most JETs will know quite a bit more about teaching English than your average TEFL cert holder.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

writes letters to Edwin mrfahrenheit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cielya View Post

My hope is to apply to Hess as plan B for JET. I have a professor that claims they're the only "real reputable English school" in Taiwan and that a lot of companies just screw you over. (<-- Pretty sure he had a bad experience himself.)

There aren't as many resources for teaching English in Taiwan as there are for Japan, but it really seems like a perfect alternative...

Plan C involves China. English Teaching Program in Shenzhen, China: CTLC <-- This is a program a friend of mine is doing, and he loves it. But you have to pay a few thousand dollars to the company to enroll/get your visa/whatever? And paying money in order to get a job seems really sketch to me when you're not going through a recruiter or something. So... I don't know. :\

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahrenheit View Post
    Plan C involves China. English Teaching Program in Shenzhen, China: CTLC <-- This is a program a friend of mine is doing, and he loves it. But you have to pay a few thousand dollars to the company to enroll/get your visa/whatever? And paying money in order to get a job seems really sketch to me when you're not going through a recruiter or something. So... I don't know. :\
    Sketch indeed. That should send up all kinds of red flags. Not even recruiters charge you for placements (the school should be the one paying the recruiter to find you, not the other way around). There's lots of other options that don't requrie scamming you, they just take a little extra looking sometimes.

The best advice a friend gave to me was - take your time; these schools need and want you and you have the ability to choose your school, program, whatever (even though some recruiters, websites, etc, might make it seem otherwise). You definitely don't want to get roped into a bad situation, but hey, if your friend is happy, maybe it cost something for a reason! Who knows?

Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by cielya; November 18th, 2009 at 06:25.
    shortlisted!

HESS- the teaching in Taiwan program- is kind of a plan C or D for me right now. I read up on the place, and you seem to be able to make an okay amount of money for the area... and even lets you pay off student loans, assuming you don't have a ton of them.

China is more like plan D/E. I wouldn't mind going and teaching there for a year, but only after I've taken care of the majority of my loans... if I'm not tired of teaching by then, anyway.

writes letters to Edwin mrfahrenheit's Avatar

Mind me asking what plan B is? Another program in Japan?

I'll either apply to another teaching program in Japan, or apply to EPIK over in S. Korea. Or both. We'll see what happens, though.

I'm in South Korea right now and I was planning on traveling to China or Taiwan sometime in the spring. Do they have the same policies as Japan and Korea as far as visas go, or would I actrually hve to do something before I can go over there?
    "Judging the mistakes of strangers is an easy thing to do - and it feels pretty good."
    - the thoughts of K in Sputnik Sweetheart

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

china for sure needs a visa!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80 View Post
    china for sure needs a visa!
    Thanks for the heads up~
    "Judging the mistakes of strangers is an easy thing to do - and it feels pretty good."
    - the thoughts of K in Sputnik Sweetheart

Why is everyone ignoring one key thing about teaching in Taiwan?

Foreigners are not allowed to teach kindergarten. It is illegal there and risk deportation for something really stupid.

We can teach any age above that. If you are with Hess, they have a way around it. They still may have you leave through the back door if there is a raid.

To avoid that all together you can choose contract A, in which you do not teach kindergarten at all.

That is what put me off to teaching in Taiwan. I like teaching kids, it is fun. It would spoil all the fun if I have to worry about being deported for doing my job.

DN

I've heard that you can pick up as many jobs as you'd like in Taiwan, though of course only one can give you the visa you need to work there. If I ever do need to work for Hess or another similar program, I'd bypass the teaching kindergarten deal, work contract A, and find some privates or something for extra income. I don't feel like playing tag with Taiwan officials. Something tells me that I'd lose.

I'm also thinking about Taiwan after JET.
    I know they prefer Caucasian but what's the ratio like? Is it as easy for Asians to get English teaching jobs?

Thaiwan...they're less communist.

Just a quick word of caution about Taiwan...the job market there is shit right now, especially if you want to work in Taipei. Many reputable language schools will ask you to do a free lesson for them as part of your interview to see how well you interact with the students and the material (with close to zero prep time). There are a lot who won't hire you without a demo lesson so applying from outside the country for jobs is a pain in the ass.

If you have certifications and lots of experience you might be totally fine, but I've been talking to a few friends there (since I'm considering my options as well) and they all say it's hard times finding steady work to pay the bills.

One guy is moving back to the States later this month because after pounding the pavement for four months he has let to land a single full time teaching job.

So just sure you know what you're getting in to before you pack up your life and fly there.