Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Default Re: Help getting started...

Katakana word オニオン
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi View Post
    Katakana word オニオン
    Actually I was super impressed by your heisig story for 葱.

Did you know that 玉 means 'ball' in Japanese. So it means 'ball onion!' 玉葱!

Also, Japanese people do not distinguish between scallions(AKA green onions, AKA spring onions, occasionally but confoundingly called shallots) and leeks in the same way that we do in the USA. One time, I was working in an Izakaya as a bar girl, and the lady running the shop was practicing her English with me. She asked me to 'cut the leeks' for her. I tried to tell her that they were actually called 'green onions' or 'scallions' but her dictionary gave the translation as 'leek' so she absolutely refused to take my word for it, and said that I must be wrong.

I tried to explain that a 'leek' was a 'fat negi' but then she told me that 'fat negi is still negi' and wouldn't accept my answer.

I got kinda pissed. Then a drunk old Japanese man bought me another beer and I poured half of it down the sink and smiled sweetly.

Wow. Is Onions the new ITIL fanta?

Quote Originally Posted by capn jazz View Post
    Wow, what Heiseg cult linked here??
    私不好其新来人。

同思?
    Last edited by Wakatta; May 19th, 2009 at 22:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post

If you are really dedicated then you could be reading the following more complicated sentence in the same amount of time it initially took you to go through RTK.

社会党の猛烈な反対にもかかわらず、その議案は過半数で可決された。
    Same for one that has completed RTK.
    But he can learn 50+ of this in a day.
    In 2 months after finishing RTK, so 5 months after starting, I had memorized readings for 40% of the joyo.

This is a post from my blog 2 months after finishing RTK, from 2008年9月10日.
    http://onhowtolearn.blogspot.com/2008/09/jlpt.html

Quote Originally Posted by katsudon
    I tried to explain that a 'leek' was a 'fat negi' but then she told me that 'fat negi is still negi' and wouldn't accept my answer.
    that's gotta be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. she's breaking down boundaries and you're complaining?

Yea I'm deleting any new reference to Heisig in here.

There is plenty of Heisig debate threads elsewhere and if you want to have a Heisig fanboy club start a new thread.

Wakatta - what language is that supposed to be? It almost makes sense in Chinese? Or maybe it's my Chinese that sucks.

--

Does anyone have any tips particularly for the new people about learning J?

I remember back at the Kobe Conference this guy gave a lecture about learning Japanese and he started talking about his friends who got really good by just whoring out his shitty J to anyone who would listen. Striking up conversations with checkout chicks, Taxi drivers, people on the train, whatever.

Struck me as an annoying dickhead personally but you cannot argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Wakatta - what language is that supposed to be? It almost makes sense in Chinese? Or maybe it's my Chinese that sucks.
    It was a joke targeted at the H-...people. A message hammered together using the "key meanings" for each of those kanji.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta
    私不好其新来人。

同思?
    I-not-like-these-new-come-people.

same-think?

I.e., "I don't like these fanboys."
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by youlovetonyt View Post
    Hey everybody!!

So I always wanted to visit Japan since high school. Now that I have a job and some money saved up, I decided to start planning a trip. My goal was to visit in the summer of 2010 and to spend the year in between learning some conversational Japanese so I could travel comfortably and not rely on tour guides and what not.

Anyway, I was talking to a friend about this plan and they told me about JET. After doing some research, I decided that it was something I REALLY wanted to do. So now, I stepped up my goals, and want to learn more than just conversational Japanese. As of now, I have the Rosetta Stone software, the Pimsleur audio books, and the Japanese for Busy People I book (and workbook) (romanized version).

Now this is an overwhelming amount of material to deal with. What do you think should be my first step? I'd prefer to teach myself as much as I can before I spend money on a class. Do I start with memorizing Hiragana + Katakana? Like, I have no clue how to even start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance and I look forward to becoming a part of this online community.
    1. Start putting Japanese into your life - find movies in Japanese (English movies that are dubbed, Japanese movies you know the plot about so you can watch without English subtitles). Find music you like in Japanese. Put Japanese posters up in your room. Put Japanese websites as your homepage. Basically, if you were going to do something in English, try it instead in Japanese. Note: It's much easier to swallow if you do this with stuff you already know (anime you watched with English subtitles, English movies you've seen, Yahoo homepage, music type, etc.).

2. Learn Kana - Don't take more than 6 study hours to do it.

3. To start up basic speaking/understanding, go to Japanesepod101 as many say it's better than Pimsleur in that a) it's basically free. b) it's current. c) it's faster.

4. Learn to write and recognize Kanji. Should take about 100 study hours per 1000 kanji. There are various methods, but the "Movie Method" seems interesting. http://drmoviemethod.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html as you'll learn kanji's meaning (in English) and the onyomi associated with it.

5. After Kanji, learn basic grammar via sentences and a spaced repetition system. I recommend Tae Kim's guide to Japanese (www.guidetojapanese.org) basic and essential chapters here. Those 550 sentences can take about 100 hours to learn.

6. After Grammar, build up basic vocabulary via sentences and an SRS. I recommend the Smart.fm lists built from Cerego's Kanji.Odyssey.2001 books. Assume about 100 hours of study/review per 1000 words/sentences.

By this point, you've invested anywhere upto 500 study hours. In addition, you should have watched 1000 hours worth of shows in Japanese (repeat viewings are just as cool). Hopefully you've been writing during your reviews and reading stuff such as mangas, scripts, websites and books.

It doesn't take long to where you find you can understand Japanese shows with Japanese subtitles. After that, you begin to understand shows without subtitles.

Good skills to you regardless your choices.

(edited to fill in deleted steps).
    Last edited by Nukemarine; June 2nd, 2009 at 06:48.

Deleted - Further discussion of Heisig should take place in an Heisig argument thread.
    Last edited by dombay; May 30th, 2009 at 16:53.

I think it's a personal choice. Being literate does help, and who's to say you can't do both at the same time. Your two ideas aren't mutually exclusive.