Thread: Classes in NYC?

Default Classes in NYC?

Anyone know of any good language schools in NYC? I was looking at ABC Language Exchange and Language House. Cant seem to find any decent reviews anywhere though

Haha I'm being such a pain with this stuff, I know.

Default Re: Classes in NYC?

I would seriously pick up a book, learn the kana and the simple kanji, and then come to Japan. You will learn SO much just from direct exposure--more than you would in just a couple months before coming to Japan. It's taken me almost four years to get to where I am, which is just past JLPT-II...but, admittedly, language learning is NOT my forte.

I mean, I would love to spend some time in Japan, but as of now, I work M-F, 9-5, with only 10 vacation days a year. I plan on taking a 2 week trip to Japan, but I dont think that ill be able to pick up THAT much on the language in that short amount of time.

Hopefully I can learn enough over the summer and get into JET so I can quit this job and go for a year

I'm waiting for my Kana books to come in and then im ready to rock and roll.

Actually similar question: I have to take 4 credits of a foreign language as a pre-req for my new grad school program and I'm looking for any schools in the city that offer courses at night in Japanese that will grant me college credits. (NYU is all booked, so that's out) Or any place else possibly in Westchester, Fairfield, or online?? As long as its a credited course and after 6 pm, I really don't care.
    Last edited by shibuyadreams; May 6th, 2009 at 06:47. Reason: time

I go to the New School and we have night classes through the New School for General Studies. I took Japanese 1 there (but stopped after that semester and started normal classes, because it is impossible to learn a language only going to class once a week). It is once a week for like 3 hours. I think it is 3 credits....I don't know if you are going to find a night class anywhere that is 4 credits.

I think it is kind of expensive. I know that Baruch and Pace both have Japanese programs....or they used to.

What grad program are you in, it doesn't have a Japanese department?

Packing to return to the greatest city in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by youlovetonyt View Post
    Anyone know of any good language schools in NYC? I was looking at ABC Language Exchange and Language House. Cant seem to find any decent reviews anywhere though

Haha I'm being such a pain with this stuff, I know.
    You have two Japanese-centric places:

Tenri Cultural Institute: http://www.tenri.org/
    I went here for a bit. It was quite a lot of fun and they had interesting installations in the lobby. Not that serious, however.

The Japan Society: http://www.japansociety.org/language_center
    Multiple levels. Never been here.
    We don't need no insulation!
    We don't need no birth control!
    No western toilets in the bathroom!
    Gaijins, leave them Japs alone!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a linguist, not a tape recorder!

Quote Originally Posted by hige View Post
    I go to the New School and we have night classes through the New School for General Studies. I took Japanese 1 there (but stopped after that semester and started normal classes, because it is impossible to learn a language only going to class once a week). It is once a week for like 3 hours. I think it is 3 credits....I don't know if you are going to find a night class anywhere that is 4 credits.

I think it is kind of expensive. I know that Baruch and Pace both have Japanese programs....or they used to.

What grad program are you in, it doesn't have a Japanese department?
    no the college doesn't offer language courses in the grad program and they certainly wouldn't offer japanese if they did (the undergrad barely offers italian; only french or spanish, its like elementary school all over again) I'll check it out those schools tho - maybe depending on the program when the credits transfer over, they can take it for 4 credits even tho the course was only 3.

Baruch has a Japanese 1 class starting June 1st until July 1st. It meets 3 times a week 530-8pm. I don't think you'll find anything better than that.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Yeah i'm gonna have to do some serious finagling with my boss in terms of leaving work early if I wanna catch that class. (I guess maybe since its only for a few weeks in the summer she might let me?)

Also, I saw that in the fall Pace has one class Mon/Wed from 6-7:25 and the New School has one Thurs nights from 8-9:50 (its only 2 credits though)

I'm pretty sure Baruch would be significantly cheaper also.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)