Thread: Teaching Present Participle [verb+ing]

Default Teaching Present Participle (verb+ing)

Hey guys. Need some lesson ideas for a group of about 6 girls from about 5th/6th grade elementary to ichinensei JHS level.

They're learning present participles, so I was thinking a rendition of Kumbaya might be in order. Other than that, I have 50 minutes to fill. Any ideas?

Default Re: Teaching Present Participle (verb+ing)

If you are interested in filling time with music, Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" is full of present participles. May be too overwhelming if the whole thing is played at once.

Been a while since New Orleans.
    Do a barrel roll (Z or R twice)!
    ローリングで弾くんだ (ZかRの2度押し)!

Are you teaching present participles, the present progressive, or the progressive aspect in general? While the present participle is used to form the progressive aspect, they aren't the same.

Assuming it's the progressive, presumable starting with the present tense, are you talking about the form (to be + present participle) or usage or both? To practice formation and a bit of basic usage, a variation of charades works pretty well. One student performs an action while the others guess "Are you ~ing?". The doer answers "No, I'm not ~ing," or "Yes, I'm ~ing," as appropriate.
    "I have ... relations... with many of the students." -- Sai1

Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10Please View Post
    If you are interested in filling time with music, Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" is full of present participles. May be too overwhelming if the whole thing is played at once.

Been a while since New Orleans.
    I'll have to look that song up, never heard of it. They're a pretty decent level for elementary, but not a great level in general so I have to keep things super simple. Maybe a verse or two would work, they definitely need listening practice!

LOL yeah, I should change that huh?

@ampersand, nothing so complicated. Basically, swim = swimming. repeat 343896734 times. Okay, practice with flashcards. Okay, I think y'all have it, next word. Easy peasy stuff.

http://www.genkienglish.net/harrypotter.htm

try that

It might be hard though with only 6 kids, but it might be worth a try.
    Explaining the game is a bit of a bitch and kills some time but the kids seem to like it. I do it with 5th graders.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.