Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: -れる、-られる

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post
    Spartan Alumnus here, born and raised in metro Detroit. I have never heard that monstrosity before... where are you guys from, exactly? Marquette?
    Actually I was just watching a video of Kent HOVIND, hwo is from the midwest (not sure what state) and he said something like, "Oh, the lawn needs mowed".
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpartanPope View Post
    It's also not uncommon for Michiganders to drop the "to be" in casual speech.

This seems to be especially prevalent following "needs" or "wants".
    Ex. "The trash needs taken out."
    Additionally, is it possible it's 'the trash needs taking out'? Because that might (maybe) make sense.

...Although, I'm probably wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post
    Spartan Alumnus here, born and raised in metro Detroit. I have never heard that monstrosity before... where are you guys from, exactly? Marquette?

Yeah, I'm from Nebraska and I've never heard that before. It honestly makes me want to vomit a little. It is not a Midwestern thing.
    I firmly believe that goofy and awkward are the signs of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    I'm from Pittsburgh, which is just another one of those cities where language gets fucked up. The "too be" is definitely absent.

Look at the grammar section...

I lived in Maryland until I was 7 and my parents aren't from the area, so I don't speak much 'Pittsburghese', but there are certain things that I picked up naturally. Will never say yinz, though, thank god.
    it all makes sense...we say that 45 minutes south of the WV border too.
    Lick my cookie, drink my apple juice

As far as the "midwest" accents go, just because you're in the midwest doesn't necessarily mean your town or whatever will use it. But it seems more common to drop the "to be" in that general area. (granted this is coming from a limited selection of people).

In the south (Georgia, to be exact) I know my grandfather often uses double negatives in regular speech. My dad always says "I waked up this morning" which drives me crazy. And in Texas you can't go 5 feet without hearing "Ya'll".

Default Re: -れる、-られる

What exactly are we calling Midwest then, because I haven't heard it in Kansas or Iowa either...
    I firmly believe that goofy and awkward are the signs of awesome.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

In the Boston environs many peoples drop the 'R' that occur in the middle of a word.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

well, I had it confirmed by one of my friends, who worked at a car repair shop for a while, that some people in my area use the disgusting "lawn needs mowed" construction. so apparenly it is used in some parts of Michigan.

honestly, though, I think it's exceedingly rare, as I'd never heard such a thing before.

Me either. I'd probably be confused if I heard someone speaking this way.

Also, "y'all" is spelled with the apostrophe after the "y," not the "a," as it is a contraction of "you all." It's a convenient word, and has spread much farther than Texas.

I'm from Chicago and in MY midwest "the car needs washed" sounds all kinds of wrong.

"I'm finna wash the car" however is as common as the cold, and we love to drop pronouns at the ends of sentences.

ex.:
    "I'm going to the store. Wanna come with?"
    "I have a burger and some fries to go with."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Okay, I think this thread is over. Mike won the internet.
    http://www.japanliness.blogspot.com