Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going it alone...

Default Going it alone...

... Rambo style!
    I am seriously considering if I don't find somewhere to work around August that I will pack up and head over there with a tourist visa and look for work. I've talked to people I know in the field and with former experience, and they have mixed opinions. Half the time they say I should wait to find an eikawa and then switch if I need to, and half the time they say it will be easier to find work and that it's a solid idea.

Do you guys know someone crazy enough to have done this already? If so, how did they fare? Any other alternatives? I remember seeing somewhere on here that, per special request of some clause, you can change visa status without leaving the country. I'll tell you what I'm not gonna do, and that's sit around for the next JET application. I gotta get over there this year.
    Last edited by Victorius~; April 21st, 2009 at 08:10.
    "Judging the mistakes of strangers is an easy thing to do - and it feels pretty good."
    - the thoughts of K in Sputnik Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by Victorius~ View Post
    I gotta get over there this year.
    why?

Default Re: Going it alone...

heh, to be honest this was one of the alternatives i was considering if i didn't get into JET, but I just don't have the funds to live there for 2-3 months while looking for work, so that just wasn't an option for me....

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    why?
    I've spent the last few years of my life dedicated to studying all things Japanese. I'm waaay to ambitious to waste that chillin' at home for any longer the the summer after I graduate. That's where I'm at right now. I got a couple buddies in the same situation. We just... we just have to get over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    heh, to be honest this was one of the alternatives i was considering if i didn't get into JET, but I just don't have the funds to live there for 2-3 months while looking for work, so that just wasn't an option for me....
    I'll be working from the end of May to save up money for the trip, so I should be set for a month at least. Who knows, if I have to I can postpone it a little, I guess, but I'm graduating in May and I can't spend any time wasting away in my hometown.
    "Judging the mistakes of strangers is an easy thing to do - and it feels pretty good."

Victorious,

I reckon you have already checked out Dave's ESL Cafe and gaijinpot for opinions on this especially from Glenski.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

Nope. Not at all. That's why I'm asking it here. I'll check those places out sometime tonight if I get the chance. As far as I can tell, there are a lot more positions for people already living in Japan than there are for people over in the States. I just figure it will increase my odds if I go over there.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

My advice. Give JET one more year.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

If you are willing to take anywhere, there LOTS and LOTS of jobs still up on websites like Dave's ESL Cafe---you just risk getting into a crappy workplace

I am planning on going over and doing it semi-rambo style, IF my gf gets upgraded from alternate

If she does I'll give her a month to settle in, then stay with her and head out to find work each day.
    There are also a couple jobs I found that deal with talking english on the phone/through msn...I might check them out for small cash

You might also check out www.jobsinjapan.com too
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

i'd totally do that phone job. if it doesnt pan out for you you should give me the info.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

I'm sort of doing that in a couple weeks, I'll be over in Japan doing a internship on a tourist visa (not getting paid) while waiting to see if I get upgraded by JET. I figure i'll wait a month before I seriously start looking for jobs and extend my stay an extra month if JET doesn't call me by July.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    My advice. Give JET one more year.
    No with the fiery passion of a thousand suns!!! No thank you.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

I see good things happening out of this idea

Yeah, thanks, cvmurrieta. Those sites definitely have a lot of good opportunities. I will do my best to find something, but if it doesn't pan out I'll go solo.

I have a host-family over there who still likes me alright and a ton of friends going to school in Saitama. I could bounce around if need be, plus my favorite karaoke place only charges about $3/hr without nomihoudai, which is feasible for a terrible night's sleep (ノ´ー`*)ノ

You seem like a sincere young gentleman, so I'll refrain from questioning your burning passion to experience JAPAN. (Except slightly and implicitly, as I just did.)

If you are really, really keen on Japan, I might suggest picking up an eikaiwa or Interac ALT gig. (Man. Part of me dies every time I recommend Interac. As long as you bail on them partway through and say 'SO LONG SUCKERS' it will come back to life.) Meanwhile, hunt around as best you can. My impression, though, was that direct-hire arrangements are tricky unless you have prior experience and such.

Interac ALT and Eikaiwa jobs are not as nice as JET but certainly livable.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    You seem like a sincere young gentleman, so I'll refrain from questioning your burning passion to experience JAPAN. (Except slightly and implicitly, as I just did.)

If you are really, really keen on Japan, I might suggest picking up an eikaiwa or Interac ALT gig. (Man. Part of me dies every time I recommend Interac. As long as you bail on them partway through and say 'SO LONG SUCKERS' it will come back to life.) Meanwhile, hunt around as best you can. My impression, though, was that direct-hire arrangements are tricky unless you have prior experience and such.

Interac ALT and Eikaiwa jobs are not as nice as JET but certainly livable.
    Thank you, sir. Look, although a little crazy about it, I'm really serious about this. I've been studying Japanese for six years, I lived there for 4 months in Fall 2007 and studied at Tokyo International University (which has an awesome exchange program with my school), and I spent last summer teaching English in South Korea in various rural towns and government-sponsored summer camps. I'm an earnest individual who is looking for an opportunity to teach for the next few years, and I know in my heart-of-hearts that I have to be there this year.

I got turned down by JET which, although not the end of the world, came as a bit of a shock when I saw the people from my school who were accepted. All that means is that I am more free to work with a location, and I am trying to get work in Kanto. Saitama would be most preferable, but Chiba and Tokyo work, too, but I'd be willing to stretch it out further if need be.

I'm graduating in a month with a degree in Japanese Studies and I can't stand the thought of letting my years of hard work and hard-earned abilities waste away in the States. At first I considered South Korea as a back-up since I've been there and I would love to learn the language someday, but then something in me told me that Japan is where I need to be next. I know things will work out if I give it my all. Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride!

I'd agree with Ali and say give JET another go next year... but if you're really dead-set on being there this summer, then all the best of luck to you victorius and keep us posted on your adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Victorius~ View Post
    I've spent the last few years of my life dedicated to studying all things Japanese. I'm waaay to ambitious to waste that chillin' at home for any longer the the summer after I graduate.

I'm graduating in a month with a degree in Japanese Studies and I can't stand the thought of letting my years of hard work and hard-earned abilities waste away in the States.
    Your devotion to Japan touches me in a way that most women wouldn't dare, but I spent three years of my life studying human fossils and evolutionary biology, and you don't see me digging them up anywhere now. Instead, you see me passing around a fossil of dinosaur shit to a bunch of semi-interested, semi-disgusted high school students during introductory lessons.

Point being, since getting over to or studying Japan is more or less your end goal on your career path--and not the break from a real career that it is for most of us--why don't you actually consider other options or countries? Hell, broaden your horizons a little while you're at it--maybe bolster that "Japanese Studies" degree with some time in neighboring countries. Adds some meat to your resume. Then again, you could just want to come fritter away your youth like the most of us, in which case, pass the rum.
    Do a barrel roll (Z or R twice)!
    ローリングで弾くんだ (ZかRの2度押し)!

The economy in Japan was down 13% last quater, going it alone might be risky right now.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10Please View Post
    maybe bolster that "Japanese Studies" degree with some time in neighboring countries. Adds some meat to your resume.
    that doesnt make a lot of sense. wouldn't spending time in japan strengthen it much more than spending time somewhere else? if it was asian studies, it would be different.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.