Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Post the Japanese you learn today here

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    This is also widely said as: 挿入する(そうにゅう)
    That's good to know. I was taught (or forced to learn, actually) 入り込む in a sports context, so I don't know of 挿入 has the exact same nuance. ??

I've also been told to 攻める(せめる - to attack) and 入る in almost the same context, though, so I'm getting confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    That's good to know. I was taught (or forced to learn, actually) 入り込む in a sports context, so I don't know of 挿入 has the exact same nuance. ??

I've also been told to 攻める(せめる - to attack) and 入る in almost the same context, though, so I'm getting confused.
    I think 攻める and 入る are equivalent there, both sound like forcing in. Like 侵入 and 侵攻, both meaning invade.

I could be wrong, but I think 挿入する equates to 入れる, not 入り込む. I've never seen it used intransitively.

I can't see that word without hearing「ICカードは、挿入されていません。」
    Oh, no! My cola!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Davis View Post
    I think 攻める and 入る are equivalent there, both sound like forcing in. Like 侵入 and 侵攻, both meaning invade.

I could be wrong, but I think 挿入する equates to 入れる, not 入り込む. I've never seen it used intransitively.

I can't see that word without hearing「ICカードは、挿入されていません。」
    Yeah, you're right on that one. 挿入する is definitely a transitive word, whereas 入り込む is intransive. Although the meanings are basically the same, I think 入り込む has more of a "follow through" nuance due to 込む being affixed to the end which would explain how Avacado learned it in sports.

I too know 挿入する well from hearing 「ETCカードは、挿入されています」 every time I turn on my car, haha. Incidentally, 挿入 can also be used for refering to "entering" a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post
    And for that matter, one of the greatest gifts a school can bestow upon students (and one of the areas in which Japanese schools are most sorely lacking) is the ability to think critically, including questioning your own beliefs and culture sometimes.
    It'll be a cold day in hell when that happens here.

Default Re: Post the Japanese you learn today here

Learned yesterday, actually:

下品 (げひん): Vulgarity. I'd known several words for "bad word" or whatever in Japanese, but this seems to be the popular one for things that a person of quality should not utter carelessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

婿養子(むこようし)- A guy who marries into his wife's family, even taking her last name. Also called a "Masuo," after the husband in Sazae-san (who lives with his wife's family).

Was warned I would become both of these tonight at dinner, when talking about possible post-JET living arrangements.

みなさんも気をつけましょう。
    Oh, no! My cola!

So today I had to look up one word, and got to learn a lot of others at the same time, which was awesome. Maybe that's the way to go about learning this language??

For the record, these are all pronounced しょうしん:
    - 昇進 - a promotion
    - 傷心 - heartbreak
    - 焼身 - self-immolation; burning oneself to death

So today I had to look up one word, and got to learn a lot of others at the same time, which was awesome. Maybe that's the way to go about learning this language??
    I think that's a good idea!

Also: I made sushi again for the first time in a while, and Avocado, you were -delicious-.
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    I think that's a good idea!

Also: I made sushi again for the first time in a while, and Avocado, you were -delicious-.
    yes, i know. 分かった!i haven't had an avocado in such a long time (considering i lived off of them my freshman year of college), and they're really cheap here so i should consider it.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

and you can grow the core
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

When playing hide and go seek (かくれんぼ) the おに waits for everyone to hide and then says "もういいかい". If everyone is ready, they all shout "もういいよ”. If someone is not ready, they shout "まだだよ". Then, when the おに finds someone they say "みつけた". If they can't find everyone, then they eventually say "こうさん" or "まいった”.

At least that's what it says in a book about games being read by a kid in a book that I'm reading.

チョウメ チョウメ

A retro term for sex.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

heres a dead word that would be cool to bring back -
    バックシャン bakku-shan 'a girl that looks good from the back'
    or
    後姿美人 (うしろすがた びじん) - same meaning and still used just less slang'y
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Davis View Post
    婿養子(むこようし)- A guy who marries into his wife's family, even taking her last name. Also called a "Masuo," after the husband in Sazae-san (who lives with his wife's family).

Was warned I would become both of these tonight at dinner, when talking about possible post-JET living arrangements.

みなさんも気をつけましょう。
    my wifes fater did this, but its funny in order for it to actually work so that you can take the name officially, the man has to be adopted by the grandparents. therefore i always give my wife shit about her mom and dad being brother and sister...
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

誇張 (こちょう) - Exaggeration. I've been wondering what this was for a long time! Just realized it today. Very useful for teaching.

I remember an aikido teacher back in the states with quite fragmentary English using a number of standard phrases that came up a lot...one of the more well-known ones was, "VERY EXAGGERATION!"

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

More seriously, I'm learning tons of grammatical words from my Doraemon 読解力 book.
    対義語 たいぎご antonym
    同義語 どうぎご synonym
    類義語 るいぎご quasi-synonym, a word similar in meaning but not interchangeable.
    比喩 ひゆ metaphor
    類推 るいすい analogy
    My favourite grammar word that I picked up from English class (I swear to God I learn more Japanese in those classes than they learn English) is 後置就職 (こうちしゅうしょく). I have no idea what the equivalent English term is, but it's when you modify a word by saying "that/which/who ---".

I also learned recently that the Japanese for "codeshare flight" is 共同運航便(きょうどううんこうびん). It didn't take me long to work out that if you pronounce it a tiny bit wrong you get きょうどううんこびん (shitshare flight) and it is now one of my favourite words.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimusume View Post
    My favourite grammar word that I picked up from English class (I swear to God I learn more Japanese in those classes than they learn English) is 後置就職 (こうちしゅうしょく). I have no idea what the equivalent English term is, but it's when you modify a word by saying "that/which/who ---".

Please show me how the word WHICH or WHO can modifiy A WORD.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

to penetrate; to enter
    I learned that "sashikomu" is one verb for putting your dick in someone, thanks to one of my students saying this, very obviously after the "How is Babby Formed" class (he and some of his mates were also asking me if I knew where babies came from and if I'd done it):

Eeny meeny miney mo
    Sashikominagara (put your dick in her)
    Seishi wo nagashite (and come inside her)
    Kodomo wo umou! (and make a baby!)

And now I cannot see "sashikomu" in the same way again. I've stayed in Toyoko Inn a few times recently and every time they tell me to "sashikomu" my key in the slot to make the power go on, that is the first thing I think of.
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Please show me how the word WHICH or WHO can modifiy A WORD.
    Ali is a poster WHO is really annoying but has inexplicably been growing on me recently. (Oh God, now I've encouraged him.)
    Last edited by kiwimusume; April 28th, 2009 at 07:51.

Those are called relative clauses.

but that's a new phrase for me. I only knew that the words themselves were called 関係代名詞 (relative pronouns)