Thread: "reviewing" vocabulary?

Default "reviewing" vocabulary?

so I've been invited to go to one of my HS classes I might be attending every other week. all I really know is that they're low level students (meaning the most ambitious of them can say "I... raiku.. take a pikuchaa!" and it justifies him beaming proudly).

my teacher wants me to review vocabulary with them. if I paraphrase the reading they did or try to write my own thing using the vocabulary, most of them won't get it. if I want them to build on the words in any way or make their own sentences, they won't get it. so we're talking extremely simple activities. the words are things like "personal," "unsafe," and "crowded," so pictionary probably won't work that well... any ideas?

I'm thinking bingo with straight translations into Japanese might be okay, but other than that...

Default Re: "reviewing" vocabulary?

Bingo can work. I always liked the bingo we did in College Korean class at my uni. The teacher handed out a sheet with the words written in Korean and we had to fill in our bingo card with the words and the English translation underneath them.

Then when it came time to do the bingo, she picked a 'winning shape' of some kind, like an X, or a T.

The method of play, instead of being straight listening, was the students would pick the bingo words. So it would go around the class with students picking a bingo word that helps them out, haha. Another way to do this would be having them pull words out of a cup. It shakes it up by making it a speaking AND listening activity.

Then the winner(s) get a snack food. Or whatever you wanna hand out.

Another idea is just speed drilling it into them. Criss-cross with the Japanese or English and they have to give the translation.

thanks! yeah, the bingo idea sounds pretty good. I'm going to try to move away from feeding them, as it always makes me feel dirty, but your shape idea was especially good! I'll give it a go.

My students at one school are mostly low level SHS - because they can't form sentences very well (a few can't write "my name is _____" on their own) I usually give them very rigid sentence templates for writing activities or use information gap conversation activties. It really depends what the vocabulary is for though.

There's always karuta too - very simple would just be make a load of picture cards and say the word and the students have to pick up the right card the fastest. You can build on that by having the word in a sentence (either saying it or leaving a pause) and getting them to choose the right one.