Thread: Quick Eikaiwa Idea!

Default Quick Eikaiwa Idea!

If you have an eikaiwa that's more conversational based than structured, then this might work for you...went down a treat for me last night and took almost no prep at all!

Names.

Tell them you want them to tell you what their names mean in English. Most of them will know it already, or if not, it's easy enough to look up. Then you can ask them to tell you how Japanese names are chosen (family names ie yamamoto - original mountain, first names ie ichiro - first son etc etc) , if names are passed down within a family (aparently one kanji is). Also questions about whether there are trends in names (ie many women of a certain age having -ko at the end of their name). Also ask them if they share their names with any famous people. One of my ladies is actually called Mariko - her father was an english teacher before the war and liked the name Mary, so he Japanized it and whacked a -ko on the end (girl) - i thought that was really interesting!

Then you can go on to tell them where most names from your country/culture come from...

First Names: Bible/Latin/Mythology/Literature (I told them about JM Barrie inventing the name Wendy for Peter Pan)

Middle Names: Explain not everyone has one but it is often used to carry on a family name or to make a name sound better! Japanese people dont have em so Ive found that they're fascinated by them!

Surnames: In Britain anyway, the following is true..until about the 12th/13th century people didnt have surnames, and at one point about 1/3 of the population was called William, Richard or John. They needed a way to distinguish and did this by jobs, ie William the Cook became William Cook, William the Smith became William Smith etc etc.

Nowadays, most surnames come from the following 4 areas:

1. As above, job. Smith, Cook, Miller, Archer
    2. Father's name. John-son, William-son, David-son (can also mention Mc/Mac being Scottish version, and Scandinavian countries -son/-dottir)
    3. Location. Like Japanese we use things from nature as names, ie. Wood, Rivers, Ford, Field, West, North (Bush and Blair! that went down well) (Blair is a field or battle field in old Scottish)
    4. Nicknames. Young, Little, Short, Littlejohn etc.

You can use examples of famous people, also yourself and your family. I explained my Italian connection, talked a little about typical names from there. Told them what our names mean. They were almost beside themselves when i told them that my sister's name means "dark" and mine means "light".

Anyway, just a wee suggestion if you're stuck for an hour - this went down really well and kept us chatting for well over an hour and a half.
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

My name means......yawn! Sorry, I forgot. Can you really talk to people about your name and what it means and be interesting?

Blimey, you are a better man than me! - still thats not difficult. Once i got bored whilst riding the nemesis at alton towers!!

Enjoy all that cash and buy the kids some cool things! My first name means.... English sweets taste better than Japanese ones!

Bye bye

P.s> does Eikewa (or however you spell it) mean you are teaching grown ups?! hahahaha, oops. If so then im dumber than i look and please dont read the above message i just posted!

Honma ni gomenasai sumimasen and all that!

If i had an Eikawawaw class, hell, id probably teach them what my name means! - I wonder what it does mean?

Brin

Yes, an eikaiwa is teaching adults. It means English (ei) Conversation (kaiwa).

Brin is Welsh for Hill. I'm not a random source of name knowledge, one of my sister's best friends called her son that.

Believe me, when you're teaching a bunch of bored housewives (hurr hurr) English they find ANYTHING interesting.
    I have finesse!

I think the welsh is bryn, isn`t it?

oh and did you know that if you shout "moron!" in Wales, you are actually shouting "carrot!".
    carrot=moron in welsh!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I think the welsh is bryn, isn`t it?
    I think the original is Bryn and Brin is just a variation of it.
    I have finesse!

How come Chiara's town got all the jozu? My eikaiwas dunt no nuffin. My students dunt no nuffin niver.

And 'dial' is 'revenge' in Welsh. There 's a mogwai song called 'dial:revenge' on Rock Action.

Just thought you should know.

thanks for that! did you go to see them on that long weekend, by the way?
    I have finesse!

Nope. Appropriately enough it was the same evening as my very first eikaiwa. Obviously I was inconsolable. Are you (or anyone) going to see Franz Ferdinand in Nagoya? I'm tempted, but tickets are pretty expensive.