Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Denshi Jisho

you can always save 12,000yen and get the sharp sf6200. All the basic dictionaries are the same (you'll prob only use the japanese to english one). With the more expensive models you get more 'frills', like colour screens and images.
    Amazon.co.jp: CASIO Ex-word 電子辞書 XD-SF6200BK ブラック 音声対応 100コンテンツ 多辞書総合モデ&#x3

I need to find some kind of comparison between these, and see what sorts of downloadable content is available. On the amazon (jp) site, the Sharp Brain is only 23,000 yen in silver. It only ships within Japan, though.

Something in English that lists features between a few different models would really help out. Does anyone know of some sort of a review site or anything like it?

電子辞書Brain専用サイト『ブレーンライブラリー』のご案内
    That's the official downloadable content. There's bound to be more stuff coming out, I would imagine.

You can also put your own images, mp3s and text files on it though.

As for info in English... I don't know of anything.
    Gov'ment came and took my baby!

Ok, yet another dimension to consider: size. For some reason, I was under the impression that denshi jisho were generally small enough to fit in one's pocket. Korean (yea, we had a couple hundred K students but maybe 25 Japanese ppl at my uni) kids were toting these reasonably small dictionaries - but I'm looking up specs and a lot of these ones are almost an inch thick, and wide as all heck. If I get one of these nicer ones, will I want to carry it around with me? Since I'm not alowed to speak Japanese at work, I'd mostly be using it while out and about with friends I'll hopefully be making. I don't want to lug around some huge Japanese noob machine all the time. At the same time, the Canon c50 (the smallest one I can find) doesn't look like it's all that great, and has no stylus input.

What are your takes on this? I don't think I can afford two denshi jisho's, if that's what you'd suggest.
    Last edited by Happyscrappy; June 24th, 2009 at 10:24.

Default Re: Denshi Jisho

Mine definitely won't fit in my pocket, but I usually only use it when studying for if I'm traveling and I usually have a bag with me. Why won't you be able to speak Japanese at work? I practice my Japanese all the time at school.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaneo View Post
    Mine definitely won't fit in my pocket, but I usually only use it when studying for if I'm traveling and I usually have a bag with me. Why won't you be able to speak Japanese at work? I practice my Japanese all the time at school.
    I'll be working at AEON. They don't allow it.

Maybe I'll just get an iPhone... and a DJ later. iPhone for Japanese and Skype, amongst many other things I want to do with one. Too bad there aren't many good kanji programs on it yet.

For a second I thought you were working at the shopping center and thought. That's odd, how will (He/She) speak to the customers. Yeah I have a dictionary on my phone. I use quite often. I just can't look up Kanji.

There's a 3-way review of Jisho Touch, Kotoba, and Japanese, some of the better and most popular dictionary apps for the ipod touch or iphone, here

That's why you get a man-purse. All men here have them (I'm going to assume you're a man because you were talking about putting things in pockets.)
    Gov'ment came and took my baby!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahJ27 View Post
    That's why you get a man-purse. All men here have them (I'm going to assume you're a man because you were talking about putting things in pockets.)
    Hmm well, I guess a 150-post run of being gender ambiguous was impressive enough. Yup.

Thanks for the link to the review 13tales; very encouraging. I just wish these had the jump feature - but at least "Japanese" has kanji input recognition (not Japanese, but hey, I'm used to typing romaji on my keyboard to turn it into kana anyways).

Now I just hope to find Softbank is what's popular in Toyama-shi. I'll be getting a free iPod touch next week with my new macbook pro - but I was planning on selling it and getting an iPhone later. But...I could keep the touch and get a regular Japanese cell if softbank isn't the popular choice. Decisions, decisions.

I don't know that Softbank is really that popular anywhere - regardless, if the signal in your area is anywhere approaching okay (and the staff will show you a coverage map when you go to inquire) it's worth it for the iphone, IMHO. I know the opinion is far from universal, but I *really* hated my japanese phone - enough to pay out the contract early in favour of the iphone. That's me though - your mileage may vary.

Canon do a pocketable dictionary but it has no handwriting interface, so if you want that then you're shit outta luck.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyscrappy View Post
    Hmm well, I guess a 150-post run of being gender ambiguous was impressive enough. Yup.

Thanks for the link to the review 13tales; very encouraging. I just wish these had the jump feature - but at least "Japanese" has kanji input recognition (not Japanese, but hey, I'm used to typing romaji on my keyboard to turn it into kana anyways).

Now I just hope to find Softbank is what's popular in Toyama-shi. I'll be getting a free iPod touch next week with my new macbook pro - but I was planning on selling it and getting an iPhone later. But...I could keep the touch and get a regular Japanese cell if softbank isn't the popular choice. Decisions, decisions.
    The smaller dictionaries do not have the stylus input. I have a seiko one which is pocket size and really good. The stylus input ones are way big but work with the manpurse option. You'll prob have a messenger bag to carry your stuff around and if you always keep it in there it's useful. I always keep some textbooks on me in case I decide to study.

I live in Toyama-shi and you'll have no problems with softbank in town. If you go in the mountains ie skiing/hiking then softbank sucks. I wouldn't snowboard with an iphone anyways.

oh, and don't worry about looking like a noob with a dj - unless you're asian, you'll be regarded as a noob no matter how long you stay here

I went and got a small denshi jisho - XD-ST4100G - 中学生・高校生 - 電子辞書 エクスワード - 製品情報 - CASIO on sale for about 1.4 man or so and I'm loving it so far but I have a couple quick questions.

Sometimes when I look up a word, I know the first kanji say 蠎蜻頑攸 but I don't know how to read it in this case as 蠎 is usually 縺イ繧 but here is 縺薙≧, is there a way to use the dictionary to change the hiragana to kanji so it limits my results to that kanji alone or do I have to look up the alternate readings first?

Also, is there a way to see what compounds are common for characters like, could I get a list of words that use say 蠎?

You have a kanji dictionary in there, so use that. You should be able to search for characters by any reading - just stick in 縺イ繧 and you should find 蠎. Not only will it then tell you all the readings for that character, but there should be an option to look at a list of compounds that contain it, and hopefully jump straight to the dictionary entries for those compunds.

Quote Originally Posted by fredbarbarossa View Post
    You have a kanji dictionary in there, so use that. You should be able to search for characters by any reading - just stick in 縺イ繧 and you should find 蠎. Not only will it then tell you all the readings for that character, but there should be an option to look at a list of compounds that contain it, and hopefully jump straight to the dictionary entries for those compunds.
    Yeah, I just found that button on the Kanji dictionary. I was hammering at 辭溯ェ in the dictionary hoping to convert the hiragana to kanji but it does work in the kanji dict. Thanks!

Banned

The thing I love about my casio ex-word is that I am constantly learning with it. Not just when I study a certain kanji or use it for translation, but even when I am mucking about with the menus.

It is really straightforward to use so I would recommend even for a beginner. But it is a dictionary that you can grow with - when you get better at Japanese you will constantly be unlocking new dictionaries that you can use. Today I just found out it has an encylopaedia of famous people, places etc. I just love that it is always surprising me like that.

Also if any of you have/get one, I would REALLY recommend download/buying a cd with the kanji learner's dictionary on it too. It's great for learning the proper stroke order, readings and various radicals of a lot of the common JLPT kanji.
    Last edited by Hikari; July 13th, 2009 at 08:26.

I have a Canon Wordtank V90 that I got dirt cheap with free shipping from a sale on Amazon-Japan that was targetting foreigners. Needed to be able to verify non-Japanese citizenship and it was like half price. Had it for 2 years and the thing is absolutely wonderful.

Features I love most include:
    - touch screen w/ stylus for writing kanji
    - stroke order trainer
    - trilingual (Japanese, English, Chinese)
    - audio output for Chinese pronunciation
    - Full English<>English dictionary and thesaurus (this alone almost makes it worth getting)
    - Easy cross-referencing into the other dictionaries on the system
    - You can drag your finger or stylus across a character or word, then hit enter to view that word in the various dictionaries. Hitting back then takes you to the original definition, making comprehension of difficult definitions more feasible.

Only Downside:
    - The dictionary is clearly designed for Japanese learning English, so there is a steep learning curve when you first get it figuring out how to navigate definitions and menus.

If you are looking for a denshi jisho, i recommend you this japanese electronic dictionary webshop: http://www.denshi-jisho.com .

They have all the new Casio, Sharp, Canon, Seiko denshi jisho and accessories.