Thread: Canadian Embassy Internship

Default Canadian Embassy Internship

Got an invitation in the mail. Expensive...but maybe worth it. You have to pay for your own place in Tokyo and take a bunch of nenkyu. Anyone planning on doing it?

Default Re: Canadian Embassy Internship

What? I've never heard of this... How'd they email you, did you apply for it or something? (It's an invitation though, so how'd they get your email)

It's for current Jets Neb.

I got this in the mail as well. Kinda shitty though. Take 3 weeks of Nenkyuu in August, pay for all your own expenses in Tokyo? Ouch.

But you get the opportunity to work at the Canadian Embassy in Japan...and I'm sure there's a possibility of employment with them after your JET stint...I dunno, seems like a pretty interesting opportunity..

Yeah, they mail this offer to Canadian JETs every year. I still have yet to register with the embassy, so I always wondered how they got my address and work details

Either way, if they at least paid a little more than a "nominal stippend" for transportation costs, it would be a pretty cool opportunity for those interested in diplomacy. Having to take 2 weeks vacation to work unpaid is a major turnoff for me, and when I'm done my JET stint I will be working as far away from government organizations as possible so this is definitely not on my list of things to do.

For those living far from Tokyo, this is just not a feasible idea I think.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

not canadian, and havent seen the email. but- do you HAVE to take nenkyu for it? People get study and work leave for all sorts of stuff. I mean when i was an ALT i got some free leave to go to tokyo and "work"....which was me talking to some of my friends that worked for private dispach companies and eikaiwas. i told my boe i was trying to find better ways to teach my students, they had the extra unused funds and even paid for my shink. i was there for 4 days. ( i did have to bring a written report back with me though, and that took some actual work, so i wasnt just partying the whole time) but who knows it may be worth looking in to.

on the same note, there are different language courses both jet and non jet sponsered, two years ago i went to one near kansai airport in rinku-town, and there were 50 ALTs there from all over japan for a two week course. I had to pay my own travel and food expenses, but got the whole time off as special leave so i could learn more japanese and then in turn be able to communicate with my co workers more.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

mark, this is a two week work internship. not a 4 day language training or teaching course.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

i had a two week language course....
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

yeah, but this internship has absolutely nothing to do with language teaching or education in japan. i'm not saying it's impossible, but it would definitely be difficult to pass this one off as "study" leave.

I tried getting study leave but couldn't get it. Anyway, i could get a job out of it. If not, well, It will still look good on a resume. I am hoping to get a CIR position or something similar later, so the expereince might help. Anyone do this before?? Wonder what the chances are of getting a job? I wouldn't mind working in public affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by casual View Post
    Wonder what the chances are of getting a job? I wouldn't mind working in public affairs.
    If you're thinking about going into the Foreign Service (which leads to most embassy jobs), it depends on a few things. FS is very competitive and you have to score pretty damn high on three aptitude tests they only hold once per year (end of October) just to get into the interview process, which is also gruelling. From applying to take the tests to finding out if you actually have the job, it can be up to a year, and that's not counting getting your clearance done. It's sort of like the JET application process, but bigger, with more multiple choice exams.
    Did I mention after you are accepted and cleared, you have one year to learn French (taking classes full time) or you get fired?
    I don't know how much the internship would help. I know it won't help at all unless you pass the tests and get an interview. The tests don't even deal with embassy things particularly, they're Post Secondary Recruitment Tests common to all fed jobs. I imagine they encourage JETs to do the internship because, like JET, they prefer their n00bs to have some overseas experience.
    That having been said, FS is what I want to do when I'm done JET (if I get upgraded in the first place, agh), and this internship is something I would definitely pay through the eyeballs to take part in.

Seems interesting, I was considering trying CSIS after some experience outside of Canada, anyone have any experience with CSIS? Specifically as an intelligence officer.