Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

man up and get a manual - if you dont you wont be able to do burnouts in the snow....

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

Thank you, Trivial. Worked for me--passed in one attempt.

Now to get my MT and motorcycle license... no hurry, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

This guide and two hours of class (¥8900) and I passed the manual exam on the first try. Thanks Trivial!
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

I drive a manual here and have done for a year, from the face the dealer pulled when I got it implied it's a rarity to even be able to drive them.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

its common in offroaders and performance cars - but in shit boxes used for the morning commute? why bother?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Open the doors, Hoff. BambooTelegraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Thank you, Trivial. Worked for me--passed in one attempt.

Now to get my MT and motorcycle license... no hurry, though.

Good luck. The day I passed, I saw a motorcycle test in progress. It looked ... hellish.

The part that scares me is the guy shouting at you from the tower....
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Yeah I don't think that's really a thing everywhere..

Also MJN manual isn't a rarity. Maybe in bigger cities but in the (my) inaka there's actually old people that can't drive AT because they "don't know how". I blame kei trucks. And the fact that Japan is stupid and separated the licenses. and old people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoo View Post
    This guide and two hours of class (¥8900) and I passed the manual exam on the first try. Thanks Trivial!
    Congratulations!
    "The complex Japanese language and its writing system are inventions of the devil, designed to prevent the spread of Gospel."
    -Francis Xavier (1506-1552)

So, I am in somewhat of an unfortunate situation. There is a chance that I will be going to Japan in the end of December. My license expires on May 12, 2013. I can't renew it more than 6 months before, so I can't renew till November 12, 2012. Therefore, I will have less than 90 days on my renewed license. If I brought both my old license and my new one, would that be proof that I have been driving for more than 90 days, or do I need something else? I'm American, and I have a Pennsylvania license.

There should be some sort of paper you can get from your DMV proving how long you've been driving.

Yeah, Texas doesn't put the original date of issue on their drivers' licenses at all, so I hadta get a driving record from them (and have it translated into Japanese). It wasn't a "complete" driving record (in that it didn't show any citations); it was just a very basic document that showed how long I'd been a licensed driver.

It was a pretty simple process; I requested it online and paid a small fee for it. They couldn't send it to an international address, so I had it sent to my mom and she forwarded it to me. If I'd been more attentive, I would've/could've gotten it before I came. This is probably something you can do.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Bringing the drivers history is also good because they will record it in their system when you started driving, rather than when you transferred your license, meaning there'S a chance for cheaper insurance and no noobie sticker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Thanks guys!

Careful there, though. If there's an expiration date on the document (a lot of states' DMVs arbitrarily put 30 or 90 days on it) they won't accept it after that date.
    "The complex Japanese language and its writing system are inventions of the devil, designed to prevent the spread of Gospel."
    -Francis Xavier (1506-1552)

Quote Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
    Careful there, though. If there's an expiration date on the document (a lot of states' DMVs arbitrarily put 30 or 90 days on it) they won't accept it after that date.
    This is absolutely true; you should have a currently valid license when you go to test/change your license. If you have to, go to your DMV and tell 'em you lost your license or something, so that you'll get one that'll be good for the duration of your stay.

You should technically be safe bringing your old copy with you but I would say that having your record just in case would be a good idea (if it's not a pain in the ass to get). I didn't have any problems with my old copy (translated with my current one) but another ALT had a hard time getting hers transferred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Really thankful for this thread. I'm going to take the test tomorrow, and it's been really helpful. I did two hours at a driving school to prepare for it since I haven't really driven in a while. The instructors said I drove well. They didn't say to use my blinkers in the S-curve or crank. They weren't that strict about the order of the mirror checking either. They really only paid attention to if I checked both ways and rear left for left turns, and if I checked my rear right before I moved to the center line for right turns. I'm still going to check around the car like a mad-person, and verbalize that I've checked.

Too bad I can't afford a car until I find a job, but it'll be helpful to write that I have one on my job applications.

I might be able to get hold of a free one for you if you can pay the shaken.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I think my prefecture is home to dick proctors, cause the guy failed me for not turning off my single on the S turn and crank. 1man down the drain. Though, everything else in this thread did help in preparing me for what I was about to get into.