Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

I'm from the UK and applying for JET next year. I've failed my UK test twice. Is it advisable to just go hell-bent on getting my UK licence as quick as I can while I'm here? I don't mind having noobie stickers in Japan I'd just rather not have to do something I hate in a language I'm not familiar with!

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

Quote Originally Posted by Illuria View Post
    I'm from the UK and applying for JET next year. I've failed my UK test twice. Is it advisable to just go hell-bent on getting my UK licence as quick as I can while I'm here? I don't mind having noobie stickers in Japan I'd just rather not have to do something I hate in a language I'm not familiar with!
    I think you just answered your own question.

I agree with Jiggit: you've answered your own question. Try and get your license in the UK if you can, and note that you have to have had it for three months before coming out for either an International Permit or the transfer to a Japanese license to be possible.
    ...because Japan.

It's not just the language barrier that you'd be dealing with here... getting license from scratch in Japan costs a great deal of money--I would guess the equivalent of at least 1500£. Getting it converted from a UK license would cost less that 25£. So, yeah. Definitely get your license at home. Make sure you get it with at least 3 months to spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    What are you doing?
    Most currencies do it that way, £ signs are an exception and a colony-dweller like Word should know to get it right.
    Last edited by MJN; October 4th, 2013 at 10:54.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

OIC. I had no idea. Edit: Now that I think about it, USD is the same way. Feck. I'll try to be more careful.
    Last edited by word; October 4th, 2013 at 10:54.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

It's the english-speaking world that puts it before. Most every currency that doesn't use a euro, pound sign or peso sign put it after or sometimes in the middle of (saying most here because it's by no means all)

The ₣,₡, د.ع, ден, ₫ and the the turkish lira are the ones I can think off off the top of my head that place the symbol after. And the yen, when you're using the Japanese symbol.
    Last edited by MJN; October 4th, 2013 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    It's not just the language barrier that you'd be dealing with here... getting license from scratch in Japan costs a great deal of money--I would guess the equivalent of at least 1500£. Getting it converted from a UK license would cost less that 25£. So, yeah. Definitely get your license at home. Make sure you get it with at least 3 months to spare.
    It's not exactly cheap to start from scratch in the UK either. Theory and practical exam is like 100 quid. And depending on how bad you are at driving you may need up to 40 hours - which would set you back around 800.

The bare minimum, provided you pass both exams at the first attempt and take around 20 hours worth of lessons would probably be 500 of her majesty's currency.

Its not like the US where you can just turn up at the DMV, and keep paying 10 dollars to resit the entire test each time you fail. The system in the UK (and more so in Europe) is a lot like Japan's - in so much as you need to be at least enrolled in a driving school and taking lessons. In Germany for example you are mandated by law to take 12 lessons.

Still, I suspect it would be preferable to do it all in a familiar environment.

Alternatively, you could go live in the 'States for three months or more. We'll give anyone a drivers' license. I mean, ffs, we issue "concealed carry" handgun permits to blind people.

Yeah however much of a pain it is where you come from it isn't a foreign country with a (from what I've heard) baffling and nonsensical test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by katsuobushi View Post
    It's not exactly cheap to start from scratch in the UK either. Theory and practical exam is like 100 quid. And depending on how bad you are at driving you may need up to 40 hours - which would set you back around 800.

The bare minimum, provided you pass both exams at the first attempt and take around 20 hours worth of lessons would probably be 500 of her majesty's currency.

Its not like the US where you can just turn up at the DMV, and keep paying 10 dollars to resit the entire test each time you fail. The system in the UK (and more so in Europe) is a lot like Japan's - in so much as you need to be at least enrolled in a driving school and taking lessons. In Germany for example you are mandated by law to take 12 lessons.
    It will definitely be more expensive and more of a hassle in Japan. I've never heard of anyone paying less than 250000 yen for driving school, and then you'll have to buy a car as well.

Not to mention that if you don't get placed near Tokyo or another big city that offers it in English you'll have no choice but to do it in Japanese. Also, if you're planning on going back home after JET there's no reason not to get the license back home first. In Japan all you'll need to do is getting the international license and then get it converted after a year. I don't know about the UK but you can't convert a foreign license in the US (I think?) so you'd want to check into that possibility before you decide one or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Also being from the UK you don't actually have to take any kind of test to get your Japanese license after a year, whereas Americans do, ha ha.

You don't even need an international license to get your foreign one converted. I never had one and got my license just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by katsuobushi View Post

That's a myth perpetuated by fat uneducated landwhale driving instructors. All you need is to have passed both parts of the theory test then (within 2 years) do the practical. It's £31 for doing the whole Theory test and £62 for the practical on a weekday.

As someone holding a learner's permit you can be out driving with a non-instructor that:

• is over 21
    • has had a full licence for 3 years
    • is qualified for a manual if you're in a manual
    • is not drunk/on a mobile/banned from driving/etc

You don't need to pay a penny to a driving school. If you do go down the free route you should document your learning hours with this, but it's almost completely random if you're asked for it or not (plus it's easy to fake).

Here's a question that I wonder if anyone can answer…
    I am an American and I've had a valid US license since around 1982. I lived in Japan during the 1990's and had a valid Japanese DL then. I have no idea where it would be now, and I am certain that it is long expired. Due to a work transfer, my wife (Japanese) and I are moving to Hiroshima in January. My original license was issued in Saitama. Anybody have any guesses (or even better, solid information) about what I'll have to go through? I'll have a US issued IDL good until December 2014, but I want to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MRX View Post
    Here's a question that I wonder if anyone can answer…
    I am an American and I've had a valid US license since around 1982. I lived in Japan during the 1990's and had a valid Japanese DL then. I have no idea where it would be now, and I am certain that it is long expired. Due to a work transfer, my wife (Japanese) and I are moving to Hiroshima in January. My original license was issued in Saitama. Anybody have any guesses (or even better, solid information) about what I'll have to go through? I'll have a US issued IDL good until December 2014, but I want to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
    If you can wrangle proof that you had a j-license you might be able to to just be able to get a replacement for the expired one. I've never seen it happen without the original, though.

Other than that, you'll be taking the driving test like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    If you can wrangle proof that you had a j-license you might be able to to just be able to get a replacement for the expired one. I've never seen it happen without the original, though.

Other than that, you'll be taking the driving test like everyone else.
    Hmmm, good to know… so far I've found my expired passport from then, a certificate saying that I'm a good driver, but not my license, but maybe the License Office in Saitama still has me on file...