Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

I thought if your license was expired for more than six months (a year under special circumstances), you had to go through the entire licensing process from scratch (like, J-drivers ed all over again).

If I'm not wrong, it would be better to just convert your US license to a J-license like a new ex-pat.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I thought if your license was expired for more than six months (a year under special circumstances), you had to go through the entire licensing process from scratch (like, J-drivers ed all over again).

If I'm not wrong, it would be better to just convert your US license to a J-license like a new ex-pat.
    Well, this wouldn't be good...

It looks like you'll almost certainly have to retake the test:

有効期限切れ(失効)の場合の手続き - 広島県ホームページ

This happened to a JET in my prefecture. She wasn't able to convert her license because it's apparently a one-shot thing - she had to go to driving school.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    This happened to a JET in my prefecture. She wasn't able to convert her license because it's apparently a one-shot thing - she had to go to driving school.
    Yeah; I was worried that would be a possibility. In the OP's case, given the length of time he's been out of Japan, I would still try to go in and convert the license, on the off chance records were nonexistent or not quickly accessible. A 4000en conversion/test fee would be far preferable to the 25-30man cost of J-drivers' ed.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Yeah; I was worried that would be a possibility. In the OP's case, given the length of time he's been out of Japan, I would still try to go in and convert the license, on the off chance records were nonexistent or not quickly accessible. A 4000en conversion/test fee would be far preferable to the 25-30man cost of J-drivers' ed.
    Hi guys. Forget you ever knew me. I'll do it the US license to test and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    If you can wrangle proof that you had a j-license you might be able to to just be able to get a replacement for the expired one.
    I was under the impression if the licence expires and it's not renewed then you have to sit the test again?
    I thought it was time to use a sig

I was told otherwise, but the source has occasionally been less than accurate. Of course, he was also talking about missing it by a month or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I let mine expire once, and while I didn't have to do the test again, I did have to jump through some extra hoops and sit through an incredibly boring two-hour safety lecture. It sucked. Also, the folks at center very nearly issued me a license without the MT qualification; it was only 'cause I noticed and said something that they corrected it (and they had to go digging through records to verify it).

Mine had only been expired for a week or two. Everything I read at the time indicated that if it was expired for more than six months, I would have to start over from scratch--drivers' ed and everything, not just the test.

Alright, I've got a situation and I'm not sure if it would work the way I think it works. I'm an American citizen with a valid South Korean Driver's License. Now, we all know to change my American license I have to take the driving test, but South Korea has a reciprocity agreement about licenses with Japan so it's just a translation, money, and a picture for them. Would I be able to pull off getting a J-license by using my Korea one or would the random white person on DL from South Korea just be too much to comprehend/look too suspicious?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    Alright, I've got a situation and I'm not sure if it would work the way I think it works. I'm an American citizen with a valid South Korean Driver's License. Now, we all know to change my American license I have to take the driving test, but South Korea has a reciprocity agreement about licenses with Japan so it's just a translation, money, and a picture for them. Would I be able to pull off getting a J-license by using my Korea one or would the random white person on DL from South Korea just be too much to comprehend/look too suspicious?
    That should be fine, unless there is something in the license transferal which limits it to only passport holder. If that doesn't exist, then go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

It should be ok as long as you pass the 90 day test.

My boss found some extra money in the budget and has requested I get a drivers license by April.

In case he is serious about this, does anyone know the procedure for this? He's saying I don't need driving school but has been vague/handwavy about the procedure. To my understanding, I thought you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Do you have a valid US DL?
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Nope.

Would make the process so much easier though. My USA permit expired.
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Do you have a valid US DL?
    If you have one, do you need to take a separate physical driving test in order to obtain an international license, or can you just sign some papers, pay some money, and walk away?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    If you have one, do you need to take a separate physical driving test in order to obtain an international license, or can you just sign some papers, pay some money, and walk away?
    Lian's situation is different than most. I think all the relevant info you want is in the first post of this thread, but if not, a quick summary: there's no international license. There's an international permit which is simple and cheap and available from your local auto club. It pairs with your national license of more than three months, and is valid for a year. Afterwards, you need a Japanese license to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    Murricans need to test. Most others can get away with a written test and paying for the jlicense.

U da real mvp.

Lian, did you ever have a valid 'Murikan license? If not, you may hafta go to driving school, which is a different and rather expensive thing.

Nope.

Would make the process so much easier though. My USA permit expired.
    So you need to do license from scratch. You can either pay for driving school, which costs a lot of money and can take over a month, or study and do the tests by yourself. You can get textbooks in Japanese, but I believe most test centers in populated areas offer the test in English. The full test is something like 90-100 true false questions. It's not terribly hard. The problem is the practical test. You need a driver's permit (仮免許) first, then you can do the test for the regular license. There's a practical part of that test. I'm not sure how hard it is though. Even if you don't do the full course at a driving school, it's probably a good idea to book a few hours to practice. I think some centers even have hours where you can practice with actual proctors. Once you get the permit, you have to practice with someone who's a licensed driver. You have to drive for two hours a day for at least 5 days on the road (this may vary by prefecture) and report it on a 路上練習申告書. Then, you can do the test (there's another paper and practical) for the regular license. Apparently, only 7-8% of Japanese people pass without going to driving school, so who knows how many times you'll have to take it.