Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

I've gotta do this next month. I don't look forward to it...I'll have to use some serious nenkyuu.
    "...There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need warp factor 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?” ~Eddie Izzard

http://anruiukimi.livejournal.com

Quote Originally Posted by AnruiUkimi View Post
    I've gotta do this next month. I don't look forward to it...I'll have to use some serious nenkyuu.
    Umm... Get on that shit. Like now. If you don't pass, you could be without a license. I assume you have already taken your written test and have your appointment already scheduled? Because it's a massive pain in the ass to get an appointment during the month of July. I had to make an appointment 2 months in advance (and I'd have to wait another month or so if I failed).
    Last edited by Trivial; June 22nd, 2009 at 21:31.
    "The complex Japanese language and its writing system are inventions of the devil, designed to prevent the spread of Gospel."
    -Francis Xavier (1506-1552)

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

I'm being forced to cut it close, due to the timing of the end of the term and my money situation. If I have to go without driving for a bit, I can. It's not a big deal. The only testing center in Kyoto is 4 hours south, and I would have to be there at 8am. So I'll have to crash with a friend...I need to make my appointment for the writing test nowish, though. I was told that Kyoto didn't need appointments, just show up assearly and try. But I will be clarifying this asap.
    "...There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need warp factor 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?” ~Eddie Izzard

http://anruiukimi.livejournal.com

For us non-Americans/South Africans who only need to take the written test, do we get our new J-license same-day (or a temporary license until they mail the real card)?
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

If you're non South African/American you don't need to take the written test either. You will get a brief eye check though. I got mine the same day.

Just passed on my first try yesterday. The only section where they wanted you to pump the brakes was after accelerating to 50kms. And even then, it was more of a brake twice rather than pumping them several times. Also, the 6 point mirror check thing was only to be done when first starting the course. After that I was told to check left, right, blind spot, before making a turn. When switching lanes you add checking the rear view mirror to the equation.

My advice, go to a driving school the day before (or morning before the test as I did) and ask them to show you what your instructor will be looking for. They'll know exactly what you'll be tested on. It seems to vary by prefecture as my experience was completely different from Trivial's.

edit:
    I don't want to take anything away from Trivial's well written guide. I got a lot of good advice from it and recommend everyone taking the driving test to take his points to heart but to also pay attention to anything that may be unique to your driving test. Follow the instructors directions to the Tee if you want to pass!
    Last edited by jboze84; June 25th, 2009 at 08:36. Reason: added explanation

I haven't seen any else post anything like this, but the DMV in Sendai does things a little different. For example, the first day is an 'interview' only. They only take interview candidates between the hours of 1:00-1:30 in the afternoon, and it is suggested to get there a while before 1 so you will be taken for an interview.

In this interview, they start asking you ridiculous questions like Natron mentioned on the first page, such as detailing whether you went to a driving school, what the test was like, blah blah. My town office sent someone with me because I was doing it on their time, not mine. Unfortunately, they sent someone who spoke no English, so I had to do this part on my own, and I couldn't fake not knowing any Japanese because of course that would get back to my town office. So, I struggled through it. I don't know what happens if you 'fail' the interview... but anyway, I thought it was ridiculous and the people were on a huge power trip. the written test and driving test are then taken together on a different day.

Oh, and then they had the nerve to tell me that the photo I had brought in for the paperwork was bad, because I was smiling! The stupid photo doesn't even go on the damn license, that gets taken separately! ARGHHH

Oh, and the international licensing people don't speak a bit of English and their office is shoved off in a corner of the DMV behind a door (the rest of the office is an open plan room with a bunch of windows like Trivial mentioned) that you would never ever think to check in a million years unless you could read all the kanji on it. How intuitive.
    Last edited by impulsejosh; June 28th, 2009 at 22:53. Reason: added some stuff

Any picture for an application or something official you aren't supposed to smile. I don't think it's really that terrible of them it's just the way things are... they had a sign on the machine detailing what's bad (smiling) when I took mine.

Doesn't do O-ramas

attempt 2 on thursday

should probably ask for that nenkyuu tomorrow.....

Failed my first time earlier this week, mainly because there is apparently a road rule in Japan I didnt know. Normally in the US you go into the closest lane when you turn and then merge over if you have too. After the test I was told that ypu always have to be in the left lane unless you are turning right, which means you have to take 2 lanes quite often during the test.

At least that seems to be the case in Toyama, sucks that I failed because of that. At least I should be able to pass next week barring me doing something stupid on the crank or S curve.

4 tries, a 1 hour lesson, and 350 bucks later I procured the license.. The Fukuoka test doesnt conform to your bullshit Tokyo rules, Triv.

I'll type up a "FUKing the driving test on your first try" rundown later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Okay, I think this thread is over. Mike won the internet.
    http://www.japanliness.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by impulsejosh View Post
    I haven't seen any else post anything like this, but the DMV in Sendai does things a little different. For example, the first day is an 'interview' only. They only take interview candidates between the hours of 1:00-1:30 in the afternoon, and it is suggested to get there a while before 1 so you will be taken for an interview.

In this interview, they start asking you ridiculous questions like Natron mentioned on the first page, such as detailing whether you went to a driving school, what the test was like, blah blah. My town office sent someone with me because I was doing it on their time, not mine. Unfortunately, they sent someone who spoke no English, so I had to do this part on my own, and I couldn't fake not knowing any Japanese because of course that would get back to my town office. So, I struggled through it. I don't know what happens if you 'fail' the interview... but anyway, I thought it was ridiculous and the people were on a huge power trip. the written test and driving test are then taken together on a different day.

Oh, and then they had the nerve to tell me that the photo I had brought in for the paperwork was bad, because I was smiling! The stupid photo doesn't even go on the damn license, that gets taken separately! ARGHHH

Oh, and the international licensing people don't speak a bit of English and their office is shoved off in a corner of the DMV behind a door (the rest of the office is an open plan room with a bunch of windows like Trivial mentioned) that you would never ever think to check in a million years unless you could read all the kanji on it. How intuitive.
    Thanks a lot for this. Did they let you pick your test date or at least specify which date would be best?

Pushing it down to the wire.

IDP expires on the 27th. Note that it expires exactly one year from when you arrive in Japan and not on the date written on the IDP.

Taking the test the 24th. Getting about 9 hours of practice time in though this week so I'm not terribly worried about taking a bus if I fail.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post

IDP expires on the 27th. Note that it expires exactly one year from when you arrive in Japan and not on the date written on the IDP.

Taking the test the 24th. Getting about 9 hours of practice time in though this week so I'm not terribly worried about taking a bus if I fail.
    good luck dude, nothing feels better than walking out of the wretched dmv with your very own license knowing youll never need to go back to that wretched hole

Quote Originally Posted by Trivial View Post

If you pass the 90 day test, they then subtract all the time that you’ve spent out of your home country during the issued period of your license from the time that you’ve spent out of the country (are you following this?) and if the total is less than one year, you get a license with a green stripe on it.
    Edit: the green stripe doesn't mean you need the noob magnet; it just means it's a newly issued license. If you need the magnet, your license will specify it in writing (in the same area where the "limited to AT" would go).
    Last edited by ten_of_spades; July 22nd, 2009 at 02:11.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post

If your IDP expires it's not a problem -- you don't even need it to take the test, you just need a translation of your license from JAF.

United States; Hoboken NJ Fujisato, Akita

What would it say if you need that green magnet thing?

I got my license 2 weeks ago but I didnt buy a magnet thingy.
    Superman once wrote on the wall: "Batman is a wimp."
    The next day Batman wrote: "Superman is Clark Kent."

Quote Originally Posted by jonesinjapan View Post

You don't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesinjapan View Post

You can get the same magnets they charge 500 yen for at the driving bureau for 100 yen at Daiso (and they seem to stock lots of them). You can get the oji-san ones too. I kinda want to put both on my car at the same time.

Anyways, there's a blank white area underneath the green stripe with your license expiry. If it has writing that doesn't have "AT" in it, then you probably need the sticker. If it's blank, or just says "kanjikanjiATkanji", then you're fine.

Mine just has lots of kanji. No AT anywhere. Does AT stand for automatic transmission in this case?