Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

Driving a MT car is so much more fun that an AT car anyway. Learn it. It'll benefit you everywhere else in the world that isn't the US.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

just has to be good. and they supply the car. also with a MT license you can drive an AT but not the other way round.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Default Re: How to Kick the Japanese Driver's License Test in the Face on Your First Try

It IS possible to reserve a space for the driving test ahead of time, especially if you live far away from the testing center. I went to JAF and got my license translated, and then sent a bunch of paperwork (copies of drivers license, passport, gaijin card, car insurance) to the Asahikawa branch, along with a cover letter from my (very kind) supervisor explaining the situation. I now have a guaranteed date which is incredibly convenient and makes the day much shorter.

Hello, guys. This post has been INCREDIBLY helpful. Exactly what I was looking for.

I was curious what the name of the school you took the practice course run on. You mentioned it was next door to the driving center? I looked at ones in Ebisu near where I work but they wanted to charge over 10,000 for two hours, your school sounded cheaper.

Thanks again, great post.

- Tim

Passed my driving test in Miyazaki on the second time last week. Wasn't too bad, ended up failing the first time because of a stupid mistake on my part, the things a lot of people her have said really helped me beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by newhowl View Post
    Hello, guys. This post has been INCREDIBLY helpful. Exactly what I was looking for.

I was curious what the name of the school you took the practice course run on. You mentioned it was next door to the driving center? I looked at ones in Ebisu near where I work but they wanted to charge over 10,000 for two hours, your school sounded cheaper.

Thanks again, great post.

- Tim
    Sounds about right to me. I wouldn't expect to get away with paying much less.

Does anyone know if you can still take the easier license tests if your IDL expires?

I'm from the US and was under the impression that if you didn't have your IDL then you had to take the full Japanese test. Mine expires in a few weeks and I don't think I'll have time to get my license before it does.

Not true at all. Your IDL has nothing to do with it.

You can take the shorter test whenever you want, no matter how long ago your IDP expired, but youll probably wanna bring it with you when you turn in all the paperwork, expired or not.

Is manual (aka proper) or automatic more popular in Japan? I hope to never own an auto! (or a satnav, ebook reader or iphone, but that's beside the point). I'd imagine on tiny-engined kei-cars automatic is fairly redundant.

In my Japan mostly automatic. I've actually never been in a car here that wasn't automatic.

It really depends. There are plenty of manual cars here if you know what you're looking for.

マ-ンユウル, no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by armchairpatriot View Post
    マ-ンユウル, no doubt
    or 5速、6速、etc....

Didn't finish the post in here, but if you and your contracting organization get on well, have your supervisor call the test center ahead of time and draft a formal letter explaining your gaijin-ness. Mine did this, and I got a time scheduled, as well as my v very own (very cute) Japanese Bureau of Motor Vehicles tour guide, and a trip through the course once with the instructor who, immediately afterward, tested me. Very easy and very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    In my Japan mostly automatic. I've actually never been in a car here that wasn't automatic.
    Have you never been in a taxi cab?
    guys, im not playing anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I'd say they're about half and half. Who am I kidding, I've never been sober enough to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    OK I stand corrected. I guess I'm thinking of all the cars that my friends and coworkers drive. I've been in quite a few over the 2 years and not one was manual.

Not saying you can't get a manual car though if you ask.

though to be fair I have never been in a manual car that wasnt a taxi cab
    guys, im not playing anymore

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

I drove a manual for 2 years, then my wife got her license and we had the lil one so we got a new car and it was an automatic. of the 4 cars my in laws have only one is a manual and its the kei-truck.

Something i am really happy about, since I will be coming back to japan in the future and dont want to take the drivers test again, is that i can extend the time on my DL before it actually comes due and then re up it if i come back (even for a visit) in the next four years!! woo hoo.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆