Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Genki 2

Default After Genki 2

Assuming you have gotten through the Genki 2 textbook, or know what it contains...what textbook should I work on next? There's no Genki 3

Naturally I want something that is well-rounded and includes a mix of grammar and vocab, kanji, etc. I memorize kanji pretty quickly, so I'll probably just find out which kanji they test for w/ JLPT tests and study those.

The hardest thing is not knowing what I should learn. IDK where to go next when it comes to grammar. Any advice? Thanks!

Default Re: After Genki 2

I liked this book. I went on to this after using Nakama 2. I'm not sure what level the Genki series would be at after two books, but I'd assume it would be comparable to Nakama. There is a newer version that may have a workbook and CDs, but I haven't used the newer one so I can't vouch for it. I think it covers the same material though.

Also, if you plan on studying specifically for the JLPT, the Kanzen Master Series might be good. I don't know what they do for 3/4kyuu level, but for 2kyuu, they divide it into three or four books by subject (reading, grammar, kanji).

Thanks, Eira! That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. It's Japan Times also, so it must be right after Genki. I just thought their series ended w/ Genki 2.

I'll also take a look at the Kanzen series - I've looked at the lists and I know all the JLPT 3 stuff, so I should start working towards getting to JLPT2 level now. Long ways to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Eira View Post
    I liked this book. I went on to this after using Nakama 2. I'm not sure what level the Genki series would be at after two books, but I'd assume it would be comparable to Nakama. There is a newer version that may have a workbook and CDs, but I haven't used the newer one so I can't vouch for it. I think it covers the same material though.
    That book's a great resource for independent kanji study! I used it to follow up Nakama 2, as well. It's a little dense, but it's a good way to move on to a strong intermediate/advanced level.
    "Judging the mistakes of strangers is an easy thing to do - and it feels pretty good."
    - the thoughts of K in Sputnik Sweetheart

Eira, what did you think of the Nakama textbooks? We use them over here, too.

I'm biased because Hatasa is the head of the Japanese department here, and I think he's an awesome teacher... So I liked them overall. I think they're a bit lacking in kanji, but other than that I thought they were a pretty good introduction.

Yeah, we use Nakama here too because Makino is the head of our department. I like it and Genki for completely different reasons, but thought it offered a pretty good overview.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Genki 3 does not exist but there is a book by the same people, called um Intermediate Japanese by The Japan Times or something....I forget exactly.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Not to be rude, but Eira already brought that up in the second post ^^"
    Great minds think alike~
    "Judging the mistakes of strangers is an easy thing to do - and it feels pretty good."
    - the thoughts of K in Sputnik Sweetheart

Intermediate Japanese is not quite as good as Genki.

I started on the Kanzen Masters and Unicoms for JLPT study but they really do bore you stupid and I think there has to be most effective ways to learn. Genki is a pleasure to use. Kanzen Master is anything but.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Well..I'm not seeing many other books that pick right up after Genki 2 than this intermediate book. I'm also thinking about picking up 'Learning through dialogue' http://bookclub.japantimes.co.jp/act...ail.do?id=1285 as well.

J-Bridge to Intermediate Japanese

Aozora : Intermediate-Advanced Japanese Communication

Breaking into Japanese Literature

Kanji in Context

Shadowing : Let's Speak Japanese

To name a few
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

I really like Shadowing. It's a great book/system. Probably a bit more useful than Learning Through Dialogue.

https://www.whiterabbitpress.com/pro...roductid=16500
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Hmm, I started with Minna no Nihongo, did the first two books so I'd guess it would be around the same level as Genki. I moved to Shin Nihongo no Chukyu and though it was pretty good, but it's very, very hardcore, no hand-holding at all. It teaches you a lot of shit in a short period of time, so you need to spend a lot of time studying everything or you'll get lost really fast. I don't have experience with other textbooks, so I'm not quite sure if I would recommend this one since I don't know what the alternatives are...

One of my friends showed me the Nakama book he used in university. It's a good book, but way too easy and I didn't like how the lessons flowed, but I never used it in a classroom environment so maybe it's better for that. If you're living in Japan, there are much better books you can use.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I really like Shadowing. It's a great book/system. Probably a bit more useful than Learning Through Dialogue.

https://www.whiterabbitpress.com/pro...roductid=16500
    Huh, that seems really interesting. I'm really trying to improve my pronunciation and such lately. The samples all struck me as reasonably natural and believable exchanges. (Not that I would really know, but...)

Unfortunately, my stupid computer's CD drive is busted.
    Last edited by Wakatta; May 1st, 2009 at 20:48.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Speak of the devil, I found my Nakama book, today. Now, I never did get to Nakama II, so would you suggest I have that sent over once I'm in Japan, or just move on to one of the other ones? I'm trying not to bring so many books, which is very tough, because I am very inclined to bring at least a couple with me...

Packing to return to the greatest city in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Komadori View Post
    Speak of the devil, I found my Nakama book, today. Now, I never did get to Nakama II, so would you suggest I have that sent over once I'm in Japan, or just move on to one of the other ones? I'm trying not to bring so many books, which is very tough, because I am very inclined to bring at least a couple with me...
    I wouldn't have books sent over. You can Amazon.co.jp nearly EVERYTHING. Also, Nakama isn't that good for self-study, so don't bother. Leave it at home for a review when you get back.
    We don't need no insulation!
    We don't need no birth control!
    No western toilets in the bathroom!
    Gaijins, leave them Japs alone!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a linguist, not a tape recorder!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladia View Post
    I wouldn't have books sent over. You can Amazon.co.jp nearly EVERYTHING. Also, Nakama isn't that good for self-study, so don't bother. Leave it at home for a review when you get back.
    I may see if I can find the equivalent books I need on Amazon.jp, thanks.. I'm kinda concerned that I won't find what I'd like to bring over, though. Most of the books I want to take with me are about Mesoamerica...

Amazon.com can ship books overseas, shipping isn't that bad either. I recently bought a bunch of finance-related books, hardbound and pretty damn heavy, only cost around $10 to ship over.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

I can't find many of these books available in the most current edition in the US. The few that I can find are extremely expensive, and shipping from amazon.co.jp is expensive as can be. I can find the current run of Integrated approach...Inter. Japanese for $52 without the workbook - but I'm starting to think the Kanzen stuff would be better for JLPT2. Are there any other options for someone in the US?