Thread: Should I start an eikaiwa class?

VIP

Default Should I start an eikaiwa class?

OK OK, im probably crazy, but im thinking of offering to teach an adult conversation class. For free. For fun.

OK, so I am crazy, but now that we've got that straight, what do people think. I figured it would be a good way to meet some interesting people, have a laugh etc. I'm not too stressed about the teaching side, im pretty sure I can manage it, even with big level differences.

1 1/2 hours per week doesnt seem that much. So, you peeps who are already doing one... Did you get forced into it, start it yourself, or carry on your pred's legacy? Oh, and could you also let me know whether your a municipal or prefectural ALT, as my supervisor is a little confused about the whole thing.

Cheers,

Mad Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

My predecessor put me in touch with two really cool japanese people in their forties who wanted to imrove their english. The first guy is doing a masters at university and writing (in english) a dissertation on the comparisons between australian and japanese elementary foreign language educational policy. So i help him with that and its great to use some academic english for a change.

The second women just wants some conversational practice and although having travelled extensively around the world has lived in my little town all her life. Last lesson she talked to me for 2 hours about growing up in the town and how much it has changed..which was facinating.

I dont charge anything because (a) when i arrived they were extremely helpful, and (b) because they are very interesting people with some great stories. They also invite me to japanese parties and i've made friends with their non english speaking spouses.

So if i was you Matt i would go for it..i find i get myself a bit Gaijined out at times, so these japanese friends are a welcome break.

VIP

Cheers Noel. I know what you mean about the Gaijin. There are 9 in my building, ffs.

My supervisor seems to have liked it though. I asked for 2 days nenkyu today, giving 4 days notice, and she didnt even blink before saying "Thats fine."

So Kyoto, here I come, but thats the subject of another post, perhaps.

Cya,

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

I run an adult conversation class twice a month in the community hall. There are only about 8 regular members so i`s pretty cosy! Anyway, I recommend you do it! It`s greeat fun (especially if you have an advanced class) and I have made some really good friends from it. I don`t charge because it is such a pleasure to do and I would somehow feel guilty! Also, they can`t complain if it`s free!
    Do it Matt, do it!

Oh, and I am continuing a pred`s legacy

I have the eikaiwa from Heck.

30 people.

youngest: 3 years old. Oldest: 78 years old.

Ability: Some only know the alphabet. Some understand to a nearly fluent level. One man speaks excellent German (and since I'm a whitey, I must understand it, mustn't I?)

The class is two hours long. There used to be a ten minute break for coffee halfway through, when my predecessor ran it, but they voted to have that taken out before I arrived.

And I don't get any money for it.

I have no idea what to do with these people. They all want to do the same activity.

Oh, and I live in the country, so the majority of weeks I don't see another English-speaker from one weekend to the next. There's little chance of my becoming gaijined-out.

Yeah I think if you are starting a conversation class and you are not in it for the money, you should definitely limit the numbers (say no more than 12) and have a strict adults only policy. Otherwise I reckon it could get pretty chaotic...

VIP

I was thinking of holding it at my JHS, and inviting the parents, and any keen students. I figure the JHS kids wont go too crazy with parents around, and it should only be the keen ones anyway.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Ok, so I guess it's been over a week since the last post, but I only just checked ITIL, so... read it or ignore it, it's your choice.

I do an Eikaiwa every Thursday night 7-9 at the community center. First hour is kids (2-11 years old), 2nd hour Advanced - Adults. Have between 3 and 10 or so kids every week, and between 1 and 3 adults. I have to do it because i'm the 5th JET here, and every other JET did it apparently. From what I hear I get paid, but I haven't yet. Think I get a lump sum when I finish JET though, which will be nice. I really didn't want to do it after the first few weeks, because I'm still learning to teach and for that kind of age group its a bit painful. I'm enjoying it a lot more now though.

For the kids I play games with maybe 10 minutes of just boring old teaching in each hour of lessons, can usually hold their attention for about 40-50 minutes. For the adults, I've been treating it as purely conversational so far. Adults are a lot easier than kids to plan for and what have you.

I also do an english club/Eikaiwa for free every 2nd and 4th Sunday at a Shogakko, I think that it's a lot more fun because it's during hours when they're used to being in school anyway - so they're easier to teach and I can play better games with them.

My opinion: Do it if you want to, but it does take extra time to plan for and sometimes you will just want to do anything but teach, if you're like me anyway. There's my 2 cents, or yen, or whatever you want them to be. While you're probably right about only the keen students attending, don't forget it might also be the students with parents keen for the students to be there... ^_^

Dave

VIP

Cheers for your thoughts. Hehe, its been a week or so since i logged in also. Damn this busy life, its cramping my geek style.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!