Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 301 to 316 of 316

Thread: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

  1. #301
    Senior Member loljapan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Japanland
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    Sony is notorious for that. They just want to charge you more money for an "overseas model."

    I have bought both Canon and Olympus in Japan with English preloaded onto it.

  2. #302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaobebe View Post
    How serious are you talking about? Like SLR serious?

    In any case, if you want to get serious about your photos, I'd recommend that you pick up photoshop with the educational discount if you're still in school. Being able to process your photos will make a huge difference.
    Already have it, and have been toying with it for a few years. I haven't been serious about it for awhile, but since I will probably have more time on my hands with JET, I'm trying to see what stuff I should invest in.
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

  3. #303
    Member DC Love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI; Washington, DC
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    On a different note, I was planning on getting a lot of reading done while in Japan, but was really worried about having to lug a million heavy books in my luggage. For those of you with a similar concerns, I would definitely recommend looking into a Kindle, if you can afford it (it's mad expensive):
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00154JDAI/...l_177pa6cuyf_e

    I was very skeptical at first, and, again, it is QUITE expensive (lucky for me, mine was a graduation present), but I absolutely love it. Not only can you store 1,000 books on it, but you can also have magazines and newspapers delivered digitally daily... plus it connects to the web on it's own network.

    I know, nothing beats the feeling of a real book (I'll also be bringing a few real copies of my favorites), but it's a pretty amazing gadget if you plan to do a lot of traveling in the future

  4. #304
    VIP UPGRAYEDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Love View Post
    On a different note, I was planning on getting a lot of reading done while in Japan, but was really worried about having to lug a million heavy books in my luggage. For those of you with a similar concerns, I would definitely recommend looking into a Kindle, if you can afford it (it's mad expensive):
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00154JDAI/...l_177pa6cuyf_e

    I was very skeptical at first, and, again, it is QUITE expensive (lucky for me, mine was a graduation present), but I absolutely love it. Not only can you store 1,000 books on it, but you can also have magazines and newspapers delivered digitally daily... plus it connects to the web on it's own network.

    I know, nothing beats the feeling of a real book (I'll also be bringing a few real copies of my favorites), but it's a pretty amazing gadget if you plan to do a lot of traveling in the future
    I'm pretty sure you wont be able to use it in Japan
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

  5. #305
    Member DC Love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI; Washington, DC
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I'm pretty sure you wont be able to use it in Japan
    You just hook it up to your computer and connect to amazon.com when you want to buy a book overseas (in the U.S. you can just connect to the network from anywhere)... and you don't need to be connected to anything to read the books already on it.

  6. #306
    Senior Member Mayday's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    Will the internet work, though? I remember looking at the kindle before and thinking that the wireless feature would be useless in Japan. That's not to say the whole thing is useless or you shouldn't buy it, of course. I'm just curious.

  7. #307
    VIP UPGRAYEDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Love View Post
    You just hook it up to your computer and connect to amazon.com when you want to buy a book overseas (in the U.S. you can just connect to the network from anywhere)... and you don't need to be connected to anything to read the books already on it.

    You should double check there are no region protections. Kind of like how lots of websites dont work here and such.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

  8. #308
    Senior Member loljapan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Japanland
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
    Will the internet work, though? I remember looking at the kindle before and thinking that the wireless feature would be useless in Japan. That's not to say the whole thing is useless or you shouldn't buy it, of course. I'm just curious.

    Yeah the wireless feature is worthless unless you manage to find a connection to leech on. There aren't any region protections on it though so downloading stuff on Amazon shouldn't be an issue.

  9. #309
    Member DC Love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI; Washington, DC
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loljapan View Post
    Yeah the wireless feature is worthless unless you manage to find a connection to leech on. There aren't any region protections on it though so downloading stuff on Amazon shouldn't be an issue.
    Yeah I'm sure the wireless feature wouldn't work in Japan (too bad, because it's awesome to have in the states), but that's pretty minor in terms the main purpose. Plus, even if you don't want to fool with connecting to Amazon to buy new books, as long as you put a bunch on before you leave, you can read them anytime anywhere.

    What I love is that because of the way the pixels are set up (oh god, I'm am so not technically adept so bear with me), you don't use battery life while reading a page... basically they are black on one side and white on the other, so they flip into place to form the image and the only battery needed is to change the page (does that make sense?).

    It's definitely an investment and not for everyone, but I thought I would mention it. I love mine and am thrilled not to have to use space/weight on books... I also plan to load a bunch of travel guides so I don't have to carry them while sight-seeing.

  10. #310
    Али Димаев AliDimayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.
    Posts
    16,604

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    holy shit, it doesn't drain the battery when you read a page? That is pretty neat. How long does the battery last on the thing, anyway?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

  11. #311
    Member DC Love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI; Washington, DC
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    It's more in terms of how often you turn the page... I think it's like 7500 page turns. Needless to say, I've never had the battery die.

    The key is that it isn't backlit, so you need an overhead light to read it, which I like because I hate reading things on a screen... hurts my eyes.

  12. #312
    bunny! fidelity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    御早う -> 世鏝, 空き田
    Posts
    3,866

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    According to Amazon, the Kindle works just fine in Japan for reading, but as DC Love says, you can't purchase books directly--you have to hook it up to your computer and do it that way--and it has no internet functionality.

    The Sony eReader or whatever they call it uses the same e-ink stuff as the Kindle, but it doesn't have any built-in internet so it's like $100 cheaper, so it probably makes more sense if you're just going to use it in Japan. Also, it's not as restrictive about what format ebooks it displays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    If you were DJing a party I would rock up with my bunches of purple grapes stuffed into my bra, spilling a beer over myself, and harass you to play "Boom Boom Dollar" by King Kong & D'Jungle Girls until you called the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takochu~* View Post
    I didn't take any offense to it, I'm a pretty understandable person.

  13. #313

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    Do any current JETs recommend the use of electronic dictionaries? Any brands in particular? I've got a one that has a stylus pen and does Chinese/English and Chinese/Japanese, but it's been getting finicky on me lately, so I'm considering just getting a DS and installing a dictionary/kanji recognition on it.

  14. #314

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    Violet- there is a thread about this already in the Japan related forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

  15. #315
    NEKO FEVER! ChuChuRocket!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,648

    Default Re: Stuff you haven't thought of but should bring anyway

    An ALT coworker of mine has been using a Kindle in our office for several months now. It seems to work fine for her over here.

    If you're really worried, call up Amazon. They could answer it. I honestly don't see a reason why it wouldn't work over here. Internet is Internet. The only things that don't work are random video streaming sites (like hulu) due to licencing and release date issues. (You can get around those blockings as well.)

    A Kindle would be an awesome thing to have over here though. Good idea.

  16. #316
    Site Owner curtaineater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Heres the non-basic shit i can't stand to live without (I had pics, but they were too huge and i couldnt get the resizing to work).

    Microkorg
    Alesis Micron
    2 Korg KP3's
    Korg Kaossilator
    Korg Electribe
    Shure SM57
    A new (and small) mixer

    Thats about as stripped down as I can manage to make my music gear. I'll have to rely on software for most of the effects, looping, recording and most importantly, piano. I have no fucking clue how i'm going to drag this shit around, but its not too huge. They keyboards are short. I'm thinking of leaving the drum machine behind and brining my xbox instead...but it will break my heart. If I ditch the drum machine it wont be too hard to pack the rest. I'll probably look into shipping the damn thing and then just send it back when one of my friends inevitably visits me. Worse case scenario I can totally fit all my clothes and shit in one suitcase and use my second to carry this junk.

    And yes, these are necessities. I need muuusiiiic.
    Last edited by curtaineater; May 27th, 2009 at 16:44.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •