Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non JET options

Default Non JET options

In attempt to distract myself while I wait to hear about my placement, I thought I'd make a master post (if that's okay?) about non-JET options. Feel free to add comments on different schools/hiring programs. If someone was interested in making this a stickie, I'm more than happy to keep editing it when people comment on various schools. I would like to keep a list of the pluses and minuses for each school and program

Eikaiwa
    Aeon/Amity -Seems to have the best reputation of all the Eikaiwas. With Aeon, you teach adults and child, while with Amity you teach only children. Amity pays more.
    ECC - Has a good reputation
    Gaba - Involves one-on-one tutoring, will not help you with your visa. Maybe better for time work rather than full time.
    GEOS
    WinBe
    Peppy Kids Club
    Shane English School- Requires teaching experience or TESOL certification, but pays for part of your flight
    Kohgakusha Co., Ltd.
    James English Schools -Placement in Tohoku region. I was impressed by their website.

ALT
    Function like JET, place you in schools based on requests. Downside is these companies lack the support CLAIR and MEXT provide,pay less, and don't provide as many benefits.
    Interac
    Heart
    RCS
    Altia Central
    Selti
    Westgate
    Borderlink

Other
    Labo Intern Program
    Really great program! You only need one year of college for this and it involves working with young children. You get to see a lot of Japan since you move at least twice on the program. You live with a host family the entire time, have the chance to do an independent study project, and flight is paid. People haven't heard of this program, but it's really great.
    Princeton in Asia Program Offers programs teaching English or interning in all of Asia

Outside Japan
    Korea
    *Paid flight standard
    *Set up housing standard
    *Won is very weak, so difficult to pay off loans
    -EPIK- ALT program set up by the Korean government. Rural placement in South Korea. Similar to JET but quicker, less bureaucratic application process.
    -Hagwons (Eikaiwas)

Taiwan
    Hess English School

China

Useful websites
    Eslcafe
    Eikaiwa Wiki
    Gaijinpot
    Ohayosensei

Also consider applying for a Fulbright English teaching assistantship. The process is a lot like JET, but slightly more academically oriented (your grades need to be decent). There are programs in South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, South Africa, and others. Keep in mind that once you win one, you cannot win a Fulbright again.
    Last edited by elleohelle; June 18th, 2009 at 04:45.
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

Default Re: Non JET options

Should add links to the aforementioned alternatives...
    Peppy Kids Club (Eikaiwa)
    http://www.ittti.com/index.html

I forgot that one! And I've heard good things about that school, too.

NOVA is still around

Banned

if you're gonna do this, add links and descriptions and what not plz

Better yet, people could just refer to the thread that already talks about this (with links):

http://www.ithinkimlost.com/showthread.php?t=5263

@Langus- only a few schools are mentioned- I was hoping to make this a master thread

@Lee- I will add links, but I don't know tons about each school, so everyone is welcome to add comments.

http://letsjapan.org/wiki/Main_Page

I don't think all of the schools have links, but there are some (biased?) reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by kbecker4 View Post
    @Langus- only a few schools are mentioned- I was hoping to make this a master thread
    I guess the 'Search Forum' option was broken.

I guess you are entitled to be a jerk about things, but I was honestly trying to be helpful. Enjoy being "resident smartass."

I am and I do.

I added info about the Labo Intern program. If you like working with kids and are willing to do a homestay, this may be a good choice. Check it out, you only need one year of college to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Langus View Post
    Better yet, people could just refer to the thread that already talks about this (with links):

http://www.ithinkimlost.com/showthread.php?t=5263
    This thread is superior to the old thread that Langus linked to! It should eclipse the previous one. KBECKERのは一番!

Racist Hello Kitty Chan, please do not allow your feelings to be hurt by Langus' criticism! Though she is hot and otherwise pretty cool, and sports a Strongbad avatar, she is in this case a bit too acidic.

Oh, I can't stay mad at you, Langus. WE HAD THAT LIGHTSWITCH INSTALLED FOR YOU SO YOU COULD TURN THE LIGHTS ON AND OFF!
    Last edited by Wakatta; May 13th, 2009 at 18:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by kbecker4 View Post
    I added info about the Labo Intern program. If you like working with kids and are willing to do a homestay, this may be a good choice. Check it out, you only need one year of college to go!
    I did the teen exchange thing with Labo twice. They're nice people, and their interns generally seemed to have a good time. You basically hop from homestay to homestay every month and assist with the local Labo groups, which are sort of like co-ed language Brownies. They sing songs with the CDs until the English is beaten into their brains - no grammar instruction. The intern I knew was happy with the program, except that he picked up his Japanese in such a diverse bunch of locations, he got a lot of ribbing about his grab-bag of accents/regional colloquialisms.
    You will learn to hate those CDs, though. I can still hear "John Brown's baby's got a boil upon his back" in my nightmares.

I decided not to apply because the idea of living with my boss concerned me a bit. But, it's a great, well organized program. I did a labo homestay twice too. Once in Kanazawa, once in Toyama.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

hmmm... why would kbecker take such an interest in these alternative programs if she were shortlisted as a JET? seems more the kind of thing either an alternate or an unsuccessful candidate would spend time on.

or is it just me?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

to be helpful? I got rejected from something before JET and I know how much it sucks. I feel bad for putting down JET when so many alternates really would love to do it. I honestly am trying to be helpful and use my worrying time constructively.
    Last edited by elleohelle; May 14th, 2009 at 00:55.

Packing to return to the greatest city in the world!

WORD OF WARNING ABOUT THE FULBRIGHT GRANTS!!!!

If you are accepted for a Fulbright teaching fellowship and go, you will be unable to apply for a Fulbright full grant in the future, even in a different country.
    This is all well and good if you do not want to get into Academia, but if you have any thought in your mind of doing a full Fulbright in any country, do NOT apply to the teaching fellowship.
    We don't need no insulation!
    We don't need no birth control!
    No western toilets in the bathroom!
    Gaijins, leave them Japs alone!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a linguist, not a tape recorder!

Well you can apply for doctoral grant, Fulbright-Hays.
    But this is an important point to consider!

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    hmmm... why would kbecker take such an interest in these alternative programs if she were shortlisted as a JET? seems more the kind of thing either an alternate or an unsuccessful candidate would spend time on.

or is it just me?
    You hit the nail on the head there boss. It is terrible that someone who has been short listed would spend time helping other people on this forum. It would be like if someone who is no longer on the JET program spent their time trying to give advice about it to others! CRAZY!!!!!!!
    guys, im not playing anymore