Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JET newbie

Default JET newbie

I am applying for the coming year's JET programme, and had been preparing this for 5 years... but gosh... I am stuck on the SOP part... any examples and help?? I am getting so braindead regarding this... =____=

yabighoor

SOP?

On JET but have no idea what the SOP part is.

ummm
    "Statement of Purpose", the real hardcore stuff.

Ah. Ok.
    Still a 1000 words?

Things like that are just how much you can talk bollocks really.

The JET programme is there is help improve Japans low level of English compared to other Asian nations and to improve cultural understanding and all that BS.

Your statement of purpose should reflect these things- that you have a desire to teach English for what ever reason and that you wish to promote understanding of your culture at the same time as exploring and coming to understand the weird and wonderful Japanese culture.

Personal statements for any job are a load of BS- JET is no exception.

yabighoor

here here, I wrote mine in a half an hour.

I am stuck with a lack of ideas + dunno how I should make it sound like... darn... I Think I'm Lost!!!!

One of the large piles of manure I included in my statement was that I had studied Japanese culture extensively at University and that I would relish the opportunity to see first hand if what we are taught about Japan is true.

I didnt mention that it was Aum Shinrikyo I had studied.

SOP =BS.

Yesterday I bumped into a Japanese tourist = I enjoy conversing with Japanese visitors to my country.

When I was drunk my mates tricked me into eating a ball of wasabi = I relish the opportunity to try authentic Japanese food. (Japanese seem to love talking about their food with foreigners).

I watched Last Samurai on video last night = I have a profound interest in Japanese history.

ETC ETC ETC

Quote Originally Posted by nicklad
    When I was drunk my mates tricked me into eating a ball of wasabi = I relish the opportunity to try authentic Japanese food. (Japanese seem to love talking about their food with foreigners).
    Tell them you are interested in eating Natto, they'll love that.

Don't sound too much like a wiener Japan fanboy. They want you to bring your culture over and parade it around. If you tell them that you own 18 samurai swords and cry yourself to sleep every night because you weren't born in the only country to have four seasons, then they didn't ought to accept you.

5 years? Goodness. Do you mean that you've wanted to spend a spell in Japan for the last five years, or that you've known about and coveted the JET scheme for that length of time?

SOP -
    300 words: Why I make a good teacher.
    300 words: Why I want to teach in Japan.
    300 words: Why I make a good cultural representative.

Not necesarily in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantdosleepflower
    SOP -
    300 words: Why I make a good teacher.
    300 words: Why I want to teach in Japan.
    300 words: Why I make a good cultural representative.
    100 words banal rhetoric.

Or is that 1000?

Durrrrr! 3+3+3=10, y'eejit.

And mine was 1000 words dull rhetoric, thank you very much.

If you're short on word count, just keep repeating the phrase "Screw Flanders!".

When did they introduce a word limit? Application always said 'a page or two about yourself'... ?

'Personal branding' gets thrown around here a lot (at uni, I mean, not ITIL), and the best way to imagine it in a hurry is to figure what you wouldn't want your friends to say if they were writing for you. Soon you find you're the best possible person to represent yourself. If not, literally have them write some fake letters of recommendation. Ask them to apply for you, and see what stands out - what you'd like to emphasize on your own. See what it is about them that would make THEM good at the job, and know you can do it better.

Also, acceptance in the U.S. is about 1 to every 4 applicants, and even as we saturate the system that's an awesome hiring percentage. You won't have to fight that many people. Write better than one other person and you'll nail it.

ok, don't worry too much about this. I think that all you need to write is why you want to go, what skills you have that will make you a good team teacher. BANG ON about internationalisation, and then add something about the global community. look at what the jet programme is and say how you can do that!
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Yep -also think about personal achievements too throughout yer life...how you've helped others or benefitted from your efforts and integrity; this is your life in a nutshell (or 1000 words), a chance to sell yourself to the Jet deciders/interviewers. It helps to have an interest in Japan (not stating the obvious!!) but also giving examples of when you've been independent and coped in foreign environs is a bonus too. If you haven't had much international experience like travelling abroad and alone for instance...then highlight the positive aspects of your character. I felt a bit of a trumpet-blowing twat when I did this but, its worth it to get yer foot in the door, so to speak.
    It's a great job and totally worth it -good luck with your application! [/b]
    "I don't want to go to Waitrose, I want a fuck buddy."

My gosh, you guys help had been so helpful!! arigatougozaimasu~~~~

Latest update -_________-
    I am STILL soaking my head in the hell of words and writer's block. Not a very good thing to happen when the deadline is closing in huh? :evil:

You're probably thinking too hard about it.

Why don't you ignore the task at hand and just write a personal letter to yourself, talking about why you want to go to Japan, and why you think that you should go to Japan.

While the content may be the same as the eventual essay you submit, the key difference with this version is that you will be writing for an audience you know - namely you.

Get the words out first. Edit later.

C.

another tip- don't highlight things you cant do / skills you dont have - not good. Use any little thing you can - bung it all down- in the four sections already mentioned- teaching, Japan, internationalisation, you. The first draft is always _pants_ (to use standard English English). I actually sent these drafts to people whos's judgment I trusted - my parents (my mun is very picky) and other friends who were _constructivly_ critical. THen you can compleately re-work the thing.

If you need to fill space you can always use it to explain why you have made the choices on the rest of the form that you have- eg I have an interst in Japanese pottery, so I want to be in Okayama, close to Bizen and the many kilns there (I didn't actually put that, no really). You don't have to go into as much detail as that, but you get the idea. This helps make it look like you have thought through your whole application as well...

My last point is- remeber what you wrote for the interview- thats what they will work from when asking you questions.