Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JET newbie

Part of my teaching degree is Japanese teaching, so I also put in that not only would I be teaching Japanese kids about Australian culture etc, I could then return to Australia and pass on my first hand knowledge of Japan and Japanese culture through my experiences...
    It's offical... I HATE EARTHQUAKES!

Quote Originally Posted by nicklad
    One of the large piles of manure I included in my statement was that I had studied Japanese culture extensively at University and that I would relish the opportunity to see first hand if what we are taught about Japan is true.

I didnt mention that it was Aum Shinrikyo I had studied.

SOP =BS.

Yesterday I bumped into a Japanese tourist = I enjoy conversing with Japanese visitors to my country.

When I was drunk my mates tricked me into eating a ball of wasabi = I relish the opportunity to try authentic Japanese food. (Japanese seem to love talking about their food with foreigners).

I watched Last Samurai on video last night = I have a profound interest in Japanese history.

ETC ETC ETC
    Loved watching Astro Boy as a kid = lifelong fasincation with Japanese Culture..
    It's offical... I HATE EARTHQUAKES!

I found out recently that they are looking for 3 out of 4 of the following in your application:

1.) Some kind of teaching experience.

I put that I had 6 years teaching experience mainly with with children aged 3-11 but some experience of working with adults including taking a language class (not Japanese unfortunately!) but I also wrote that I was willing to develop my teaching strategies with older children.

NB: Being a teacher doesn't necessarity guaruntee you a place on JET. I know of a teacher who was rejected after the interview.

I have not got any elementary schools here (disappointing) but I do have an adult conversation class which is my favourite part of the job!

Any experience working with kids or teaching adults is relivant.

2.) Some Japanese language ability

I had none at this point but after applying I took Japanese night classes.

Showing an interest in learning is a good thing!

3.) Interest in Japanese culture

I have had a pen pal in Japan for the past 12 years. But I did a bit of research before my interview! In the interview I was asked what I would like to learn... Find out about some martial art or craft you might be interested in taking up if you don't already do one. Also talk about which parts of Japanese culture interest you most.

4.) Experience living abroad.

I had none, but managed to mention experiencing of being stared at in Malaysia on holiday, in my interview. I didn't realise just how relivant this would become! I can't remember the question though!

Just think about your strengths. Mine was definitely the teaching part, and my interest in Japan. You just have to play on your strengths. Why do you want to go to Japan in the first place? How did you become interested in the first place? 1000 words isn't that much if you are passionate about going. There is no one right answer!

Gambatte!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.