Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using blank comics in class

Default Re: Using blank comics in class

great thanks!

Gonna steal this one so hard. Good idea. For those of you who have done this, is it something you've used with individual students, pairs, or groups? If you've done all of the above, which one worked the best?

Quote Originally Posted by xoxobra View Post
    Gonna steal this one so hard. Good idea. For those of you who have done this, is it something you've used with individual students, pairs, or groups? If you've done all of the above, which one worked the best?
    Depends on the class. With my 1st year SHS class, I had them in groups of 3 and they spent the 2nd half of class filling in bubbles for two comic strips then at the beginning of the next class presented. For my 3rd year SHS class, each student got their own sheet with two comic strips and had to work on their own. I also asked them to use at least one new grammar point from their textbook for each strip. Both ways worked well!

I used this for my 2nd and 3rd year JHS students. Here are a few of my favorites so far:

HAHAHAHA

Those are great! I still wanna do this sooo bad... When I go back to the 'States over Christmas, I'm gonna grab all my C&H books and start scanning a few...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

What level are you doing these with? I wonder if my JHS 3nenseis could do something like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    What level are you doing these with? I wonder if my JHS 3nenseis could do something like this...
    These are with my JHS 2nd year and 3rd year. The ninensei were done in groups of three, and the sannensei had to go it alone.

In the ninensei class, if the students knew about the assignment beforehand (thanks to my chatty JTE) they would try to fight to be in a group with the best English speakers. The sannensei was a mixed bag. Maybe 60% of them did well, but the rest struggled, and some even turned them in blank.

As for the groups, though, the kids who did best were the ones who were in a group with their friends, so letting them decide their group is the best option because they'll have more fun, even if it's a group of troublemakers.

Great. I'll mention it to my JTEs and see if it's possible to work it here.

i`m bumping this a bit because i really like the idea of using it in class. can anybody who has done this tell me how they introduced it? did you just hand out the blank comics and begin or did you have to give them any info/vocab beforehand? i`m SHS, but fairly low-level.

I used it when they were doing a big project in groups, making posters. Some groups finished before the others (they set aside like 3 lessons on it) so I just handed them blank comics and told them to make them as funny as possible to pass the time. With things like this, it's best (in my opinion) to let the kids do as they like and let their imagination juices flow. Especially since they don't get to have that in any other part of their lives.

I've done this as a whole lesson. Started them off by showing them on that I'd made earlier, and asked them to paraphrase it. As they are JHS 3rd graders this was tough on them (even for the advanced class), but provided good practice. I explained to them how it is good that they can put stories into different words, as it is a valuable tool for communication.

Then they got the chance to do their own. Groups of 2, dictionaries allowed, took a while but there were a few pretty good ones there.
    If you've been placed in Kagoshima then let me know - I'll try to help find your predecessor.

I think comics are a great lesson ~ The kids get to use their own imagination.

I drew my own comic and left out one box blank so they had to draw their own box.

Did it with my JHS 2nd years ~ And some of them wrote some really hilarious things.