Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian? Going back to uni?

Default Australian? Going back to uni?

Kev's got a nice budget bribery surprise for you.

http://www.budget.gov.au/2009-10/con...verview_08.htm

Comes into effect January 1st. Combined with the fact that a lot of postgraduate courses are now eligible for Austudy (generally if they are professional degrees, so if you do a grad dip or masters in business or law or something like that) that makes Austudy closer than ever to be able to be survived on with. It means that a lot of us can work less and study more when we go back to uni.

If you are thinking about this there's still time to get into post-graduate (or undergrad) mid-year admissions, at least in NSW with applications for the main round closing 29th of May. You might also want to have a peruse of www.centrelink.gov.au

I'm pretty happy all round about this.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

'extending income support to all eligible students undertaking course work Masters programs. '

That link is great - so that means that all masters students are now entitled to youth allowance from 2010? If so, I'll be cheering big time....
    Last edited by Nixxx; May 13th, 2009 at 19:42.

Default Re: Australian? Going back to uni?

No, that was implemented last year I think. It's not all masters courses, the centreshit website says it's only for courses leading into admission into a profession but is a bit vague about it. A friend is doing a PG law degree (to gain admission to the NSW Supreme Court, she didn't do undergrad law) and she gets it, for example.

The measure just makes it even sweeter than it was!

Oh how I love you, Kevin.

This from centrelink:

Quote Originally Posted by Centrestink
    Eligibility for Austudy

You may be eligible for Austudy if you are aged 25 or over and:

• studying an approved full-time course at an approved institution, or
    • undertaking a full-time Australian Apprenticeship.

Full-time secondary education courses, graduate courses, undergraduate courses, and some Masters, diplomas, and TAFE courses are approved for Austudy.
    Unlike Youth Allowance, there is no independence test for Austudy. If you qualify for Austudy you are considered independent. This means the parental means test does not apply.
    Your previous studies may affect your eligibility for Austudy.
    Vague as eh? But I know some people who are doing it and this doesn't take into account the measures introduced by the budget some of which will, assuming nothing goes wrong, start on Jan 1.

I'd suggest calling them but I'm told that you get a different answer from them every time you call. I've never qualified for a centrelink payment before. Everyone tells me horror stories though.

Still - I'm planning on going back to uni and I want to actually study this time, not work 30+ hour weeks.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

can i get that in backpay for courses already completed? i could do without having to pay for the Ph.D.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Hmmm ... i know this sounds silly but the centrelink website talks about residency requirements saying that to make a claim (for Austudy) you must be in Australia at the time you make the claim and 'have been resident in Australia for 104 weeks'.

it doesn't say that that means you have to have been resident in Australia for 104 weeks immediately prior to your making a claim for Austudy or if that just means you have to have been a resident of Australia for 104 weeks in total (ie born in Australia and grew up there). If its the latter which I hope and suspect it is then it just seems like a way of fobbing off (excuse the bad pun) immigrants.

Also I turn 25 in October meaning I have to claim much shittier Youth Allowance for a few months (this will not affect anyone who is going back after 1 Jan as per link posted above if you are over 22) and that means that I have to prove that I am 'independent' by proving that I have worked full time (here). That could be nasty given that all documents taht I could use to prove that are in Japanese.

Anyway I'll have to call them tomorrow. I hate centrelink already.

Right called Centrelink. They're very rude on the phone. And it's like talking to a Kath and Kim character. I suppose they get so many angry and rude people calling them they don't put a lot of smiley into their job anymore. Poor bastards.

But yep living in Japan does not affect your entitlement to Centrelink if you're Australian, resident in Australia and have been at some point for 2 years before you went to Japan. It's basically a rule to blackball Australians of convenience apparently. She also said that you need to be in Australia on the day you make your claim. So you get to go from sunny, friendly polite to Japan to dreary, noice, centrelink office. Welcome home.

All systems seem to be go for free money then which is good.

Great to hear...thanks for the post. Even though I am just about to head over as a new JET, I am halfway through my masters at the moment and is more motivation to come back and do it full time rather than slogging it out part time/online like now...
    Last edited by Nixxx; May 15th, 2009 at 15:46.

What masters are you doing?

I've been doing (just about to finish) some uni units by distance from my desk in Japan. It's a great opportunity to get a few units under your belt if you work in a particularly boring job - or just something to do in your cold lonely inaka town.

I mean I love my town to bits but I've been grateful for the brain work as well. JETs a great opportunity for that.

I'm doing an MBA. You?

I was considering doing some online whilst on JET, but my only problem is I'd really like to learn more Japanese. I don't know how good I'll be with organising my time to both do the MBA AND study Japanese whilst I'm away.

Did you manage this? Was learning Japanese a priority for you too? For me as I lived in Tokyo last year and spoke more English than Japanese, I'm hoping this time the language skills will improve in the inaka (assuming) as I'm still very much a beginner...

When I came here I was studying teaching and I wanted to transfer to distance units with teaching while I was here but the university didn't think much of that idea. So I told them to shove it and ended up just doing some non-award language units in Chinese so I keep my language skils up in that and I'm hoping to go back to uni (praying for the UAC to hurry up and tell me) in something completely different. Started off as just a pissed off with the uni thing but now I'm glad because it forced me to reassess my study goals.

So yep I've been studying other things here as non-award as well as Japanese but I don't think it's interfered with my Japanese significantly and I'm glad I did it. I did one unit at a time and I was able to balance it with realistic Japanese. I think it's definitely possible. I'd ask your pred about how much free time you get but one unit at a time i think is, in general, more than manageable.

Cool, good luck with it. I hope UAC accept you and you won't have to wait that much longer to find out.

I'll seriously consider doing some online study now....4 weeks of my current subject is going to overlap with the start of JET so that will be interesting as I don't know how long it will take me to get the net up and running. I'm just hoping that regardless of how far in the inaka I will most likely be placed, there will be an internet cafe nearby.

Chances are you'll be able to get internet thoguh maybe not straight away.

I live in some pretty deep inaka and my internet connection I had from day 1 and it's it's excellent compared to back home.

Heya

Im an aussie heading back and thinking f\of starting my post grad studies from Sem 1, 2010 at Griffith Uni in Brisbane as I won't be back in time to start them this year.

I'm thinking of doing my Grad Cert in International Relations over 1 year part-time and working part-time at the same time.

The main reason I'm doing this as I dont really like my chances of being able to land a decent job in the current economic climate. I'm aiming to get a grad job with a federal govt dept so maybe this will give me an edge of my competitors who knows?!

If I have already spent a fair amount of time at uni in the past am I still going to be eligable for this? I am planning on starting another undergrad course, and it would be beyond awesome if I was Austudy eligable

You are brave I can't imagine starting another undergrad course! What was your first in? Is it very different to the one you want to do now?

Yea i was thinking about doing undergrad again too.

You would still be eligble for Austudy if you're over 25 when I asked Centreshit but that was in my situation where I have never claimed it before. Maybe call them. It's quite entertaining 'Hoiye, this Shaz how can OI help yew?'.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroneko87 View Post
    You are brave I can't imagine starting another undergrad course! What was your first in? Is it very different to the one you want to do now?
    My first degree was very non-specific and not career related. I love to study

Actually, I have done one and a half degrees o_O A year and a half of music performance and 3 years of sociology/japanese.

Career wise I will either go back for 1 year of post grad followed by much further study before I get to where I want to be, or three years of undergrad to achieve the same :s

Thanks for posting Dombay.

I'll be lining up to accept my Kruddership next year!

M. Development Economics at ANU. IN CANBERRA!!!!

How fucking exciting is that!?!?!?
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Congrats Tim!

Sounds like an excellent course. Except Canberra is a bit of shithole.