Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving? Stress here!

Default Leaving? Stress here!

Why should all the noobs coming to Japan have all the fun stressing about things that probably won't matter?

Tell uncle dom about all the things your worried about, have to do, and are just a little bit scared about. Rants about the place your going back to would also be very entertaining.

Go.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Paul

Default Re: Leaving? Stress here!

I'm worried that I won't get a job.

I am worried about being mauled to death in the middle of the afternoon in Glasgow by a group of 12 year old chavs.

I worried I will have to face reality.
    Genki?

I'm worried I have no flight back to the UK, no job, no money and no qualifications other than being a 5 year JET. Then again you cant let these things get you down

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by SethArmstrong View Post
    I'm worried I have no flight back to the UK, no job, no money and no qualifications other than being a 5 year JET. Then again you cant let these things get you down
    Why wouldn't you have a flight? The BOE pays for your flight home I thought.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

I got distracted and forgot to ask for one

I can't decide whether I want to stay here in Japan or head to Salt Lake City, Utah.

Right now staying in Japan is winning. Will depend on whether I find a semi-decent job here.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

How about Korea? Weren't you considering that?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    How about Korea? Weren't you considering that?
    Yeah, still am. It seems that when I start preparing for Korea, then things in Japan pop up. I got an interview with Interac on Monday in Tokyo and an interview in Nagano on Tuesday with a place that sends ALTs to junior highs. I have had a few phone interviews as well.

I was hoping to be called to an interview for a sales position with a Hentai Doll manufacturer in Yokohama, but that has yet to materialize.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

Im scared I won't get a job or I'll end up in some dead end job not using any of my uni degree and wont be any closer to achieving my long term goals!

I haven't really enjoyed being an ALT here as much as I thought I would, but I love the lifestyle I've lived here after 12 years of school and 4 of uni it was great to have free weekends and not having to worry about study!

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I worry about getting too much work and barely sleeping for months on end but not being able to turn any of it down, mainly because I'd rather worry about that than about not getting any work and not being able to support myself and having to go back to working retail in NZ (or not even being able to get a job there because of the recession.)
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

I'm stressing about finding a place to live in my future home town and then relocating myself and my worldly belongings there.

Me = In Japan
    My stuff = In storage in the Northeast (USA)
    My future = The Midwest

Seriously, how does one even begin to look for apartments overseas? Are any of you doing this?

I may have to actually buy my mother a plane ticket and a hotel room and beg her to look at apartments for me next month. Also, I do not like asking my parents for things. Ug.

I`m worried about finding a job. Oregon currently has the 3rd highest unemployment rate in the U.S. and I have friends back home who have been job searching for close to 6 months. They all have master`s degrees and what do I have? A B.A. in Japanese and two years of JET experience. Yeah...

Interested in going to grad school in a few years but still not sure what to study. Teaching or more Japanese studies?

I'm scared of having to take the GRE, doing college applications and then making ends meet for about 9 months while I study in the Middle East.

I'm also nervous how I have to act when I'm over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Veebles View Post
    I`m worried about finding a job... what do I have? A B.A. in Japanese and two years of JET experience. Yeah...
    How's your Japanese? Since it's a sort of a specialized skill, you're probably safe to start sending out resumes and applying for jobs while you're still here. There's less people out there with Japan/Japanese experience, if you're looking for something that uses those skills it might really help you!

Or, if there's a local Japanese/Asian community center, it might not hurt to contact them and see if they need an ekaiwa style teacher (or if they have a bulletin board where you could put up a flyer). It wouldn't be a full time job, but it's something, right?

Thank you k8isgrape. My Japanese is around 2-kyu level but the problem is there are no Japanese-related jobs available where I live right now. Typing `Japanese` in a job search for Oregon brings up positions for sushi chefs and Aeon.

There are several Japanese centers and organizations where I live and a fairly large Japanese-speaking community. Unfortunately for me, they can all speak English and therefore are my job competition! But I am planning on joining some centers to volunteer with festivals and other events. Maybe a job will pop up along the way...

well im heading off to be with my girl in Taiwan. I have no job lined up, no where to live and the english teaching job market there is absolutely flooded with americans abandoning their sinking ship. would love to be going home to australia to find a decent job but my girlfriend needs to stay in Taiwan for at least another year. So off to Taiwan it is. I am studying Chinese like crazy in preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Veebles View Post
    the problem is there are no Japanese-related jobs available where I live right now... I am planning on joining some centers to volunteer with festivals and other events. Maybe a job will pop up along the way...
    Ug. That sucks. It sounds like you've got some ideas though, I hope something comes up! I guess at the worst, there's always relocating? Hopefully it won't come to that though. :P

Quote Originally Posted by karumu View Post
    well im heading off to be with my girl in Taiwan. I have no job lined up, no where to live and the english teaching job market there is absolutely flooded with americans abandoning their sinking ship. would love to be going home to australia to find a decent job but my girlfriend needs to stay in Taiwan for at least another year. So off to Taiwan it is. I am studying Chinese like crazy in preparation.
    Ah, now I know why places like Hess and Reach To Teach have told me I am not qualified! I had thought the market to be flooded with ESL teachers in Taiwan.

You know, probably one you're there and they can see you IN PERSON, you might have an easier time finding a job (at least that is what the people on Dave's ESL Cafe are saying)