Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding Your Predecessor/Successor

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Finding Your Predecessor/Successor

Hello JETs! (Both new and old.)

This is a thread for the new incoming JETs to hook up with their preds, and for preds to find their replacements. Or, if you have information about the new JETs in your area, here is a place to post it so the babies back in the states can have some info.

To start with, if you are a girl from Colorado and your initials are M.K. PM me. I know where you're going. You will joined by a girl from California who's last name starts with R. (Sorry, I have a terrible memory.)

BOEs are getting the information now, so people can start posting it. My district is getting about 30 new JETs, and next monday (the 25th) we should have all the names.

Good luck everyone!
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Default Re: Hook-up

Yeah!!! Finally some news. I know I won't know until maybe the last day in May but it feels good to be this close. Hurry up old Jets cuz new jets are practically dying with the wait & thanks in advance for the info.
    Waitin....Waitin....Waitin......Still Waiting
    (now it's for 'specific inaka' placement info )

Thanks Kalliea! This thread is a great idea.

I would tell people to not post your initials and application city unless you're okay with people being able to easily tie you to your postings. There are not likely to be more than 1 kid coming from a specific city with your initials......and if anyone, especially at JET, cared to pry, it wouldn't be hard to find you out.

Let people like Kalliea offer up what they know, and if sounds like you, send them a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

FiercestCalm

Yes, please people post some more hints! We're dying over here.

Banned

sucks that it's 2:26AM here

you'll probably have to wait till tonight

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Waldroon View Post
    I would tell people to not post your initials and application city unless you're okay with people being able to easily tie you to your postings. There are not likely to be more than 1 kid coming from a specific city with your initials......and if anyone, especially at JET, cared to pry, it wouldn't be hard to find you out.

Let people like Kalliea offer up what they know, and if sounds like you, send them a PM.
    +1

Hurray for PM-ing. Current JETs, post initials as you get them. Incomers, pm, so you can remain off the radar.

Side note - I just got an email about the new JETs coming to my area. The letters going out from the BOEs to them are in the final stadges. They should be sending them out any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Komadori
    stuff
    Hey! You have the same initials as me!
    Last edited by kalliea; May 16th, 2009 at 15:13.

someone wrote on the official JET forum that (according to their prefectural office) legally JET cannot contact you about your placement until they have all of your forms -- health form, FBI check, etc. Anyone know if that's true?

I'm just wondering because in a week I will be leaving the country for a week and a half and I have a feeling my FBI check will come while I'm away. I'm wondering if that would stop JET from contacting me about my placement.

It is very true. And stupid. We talked about this at the meeting last month. Apparently the BOE can not give out any of the information of the person without the expressed permission of the new JET. New JET can't give the permission to the BOE until they know where they are going. They don't know where they are going until they have turned in all their paper work, the BOE has looked it over, approved, and contacted them. It is a long as process, that makes no sense.

The names of people most likely to go the the different prefectures have been known to the BOE since March, but it will be at least a few more weeks before they can give out the information legally.

However, depending on who your pred is, they might try and contact you anyway. While the BOE can't give the information out, some JETs spend a lot of time in the BOE and 'happen' upon the information, some CIRs are asked to do the translating on their contracts, and some BOEs are just gossipy. Who knows.

hmm, interesting. i hope it comes sometime within the next week, then! thanks for the info.

i guess i should go turn in that FBI form. i got it this week but haven't had time to run uptown.
    Lick my cookie, drink my apple juice

Probably wise.

Is turing in the FBI thing part of the original return packet (with the 'yes, I accept a position on the short list' thing? Because, if so, there is no way you find out where you are going before you turn that in.

They don't want people bowing out after they find out their placements.

no, its not. all that was included there was the medical check up.

they said that it could take up to 8 weeks to get your FBI report back. it only took me like 2 weeks, so i am wondering if they really need to give me the placement...either way, it is just a few stops on the subway....i just need to finish the thesis first! *stabs eyes*
    Lick my cookie, drink my apple juice

I saw "girl from Colorado" and got so excited.

Wrong initials though.

If you're a guy from the UK who's coming to Nagano, get in touch

There's only like 8 people coming to my prefecture. If you hear 'Okayama' somewhere in the works let me know and it probably won't be very hard to guess who your pred is even if just based on your nationality. The patterns - they don't change. Cannot be sure of course but we can guess!

Of course I don't think there are any new prefectural JETs this year, because the ken is in financial crisis so everything except useless public works that make no sense have been stripped from the budgets, including new JETs. What THAT means is that you'll probably get Okayama Prefecture - Nani Nani City or Nani Nani town in which case it'll be a cinch to work out who your pred is.

For example a lot of cities only have one leaving/being replaced JET in that city, even though there might be 5 or whatever JETs in total working there - because everyone else is staying on for another year of sunshine and peaches. Ditto a couple of friends of mine. Won't be hard at all to figure out.

Of course not that we WOULD because that would be against the rules. If you've been placed in Okayama and would like ... any information in general about Okayama, maybe your town or a contact there who might be able to you know ... give you specifics in a non dodgy kind of way ... PM me and I'll fill you in.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

We should be getting a large amount of new JETs. If you new people post your placement in the many threads that are bound to pop up in a few days, i'll be reading them and pm you to see if i know where you're going. I don't want to post initials though because i'm not sure he/she would want me to. Don't worry, if you frequent the board and i think i can help you, i'll be in contact.

I want to say congrats again to all those shortlisted and upgraded. I bitch a lot on here, but i enjoy my life in Japan and i'm sure you will too. Hope to see you soon.

Anyone who gets placed in Gifu, PM me!

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

If you're a guy with the initials AG coming from Portland, OR, send me a message.

Ditto if you're a guy with the initials JC coming from Australia.

EDIT: Okay, found the Australian, so you're probably not him. Still looking for the Portland guy, though.
    Last edited by goloons; May 18th, 2009 at 17:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They are like elongated octopi, but with only 6 testicles.