Thread: Problem getting a ref

Default Problem getting a ref

Hails,

I'm trying to apply for JET this year, I've already got someone lined up for the professional reference however my academic reference is not forthcoming. I've contacted the senior lecturer about this but had no response. Generally I know him to be a rather incapable and unreliable person, but I don't really have anyone else I can turn to for a reference.

Any ideas? Should I go up to the uni and beat him up or something?

Try any professor/teacher that you were amicable with~ There's gotta be a teacher you got along with or at least liked you, isn't there? Besides, forget your "senior lecturer" since he's a flake~ Go with anyone on the academic board, stick with the guidelines, and you'll be fine me thinks~ :wink:

shoto

I got to work references, my academic department was and still is shite and were not very good at getting back in touch with me. i emailed the jet desk in london and they said it was fine to give two work place related references as long as i wrote a letter explaining why.
    I was happy about it. I got on,s o don't sweat it, find a back up work place reference . but email the jet desk and explain you're predicament.

Anyone academic that you know will do.

Well, I phoned the dude and talked to him and he said to send details. So I've sent the details. I'm going to phone him again in the week.

When I did it i sent them a copy of what i wanted in it: eg tom has excellent communications skills (example of) blah blah. I sugest you do this if the person writing the reference doesn't know you well because otherwise you will just get a standard reference. This looks good because the key points you make in your essay (interest in japan, teaching experiance, communication skills, other interests, etc etc) will re-appear in your references in some form - if you are lucky...
    Also a couple of paragraphs explaning about the JET program etc would help them...

I went to one of my university lectures when I knew he had a quiet moment and got him to write it up there and then... it doesn't have to a novel..
    It's offical... I HATE EARTHQUAKES!