Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome hick japanese

Default Awesome hick japanese

share your favorite phrases of your local dialect here.

to other japanese people, my city's dialect probably sounds worse than granny clampett, but i think it's probably the coolest thing i've ever heard. whenever i hear something in really thick hogen, i can't help but smile.

one of my favorite phrases is よかろうもん, which in standard japanese would be いいじゃん or いいんでしょ. in english probably something like "it's all good!"

break down:
    よか = いい
    ろう = 「だろう」の「ろう」
    もん = suffix ~もの・~だもの

i do hear it out and about, and you can even buy little yokaromon key chains at omiyage shops.

this video combines three of my favorite things: hogen, punk rock, and random pieces of pink long hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrN5ZEE34MY
    Last edited by saritajuanita; May 24th, 2009 at 09:48. Reason: broken link?

Burasuto from the pasuto. Wanderlust King's Avatar

Default Re: Awesome hick japanese

I like that song! I'll never forget that word now.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I am very partial to the expressions なあああああんば言いよんね!?(何言ってるの?), なあああああんばしよんね!?(何してるの?) and なあああああんば笑いよんね!?(何笑ってるの?)and use them as often as possible, and will probably continue to use them long after I leave Saga.

I also recently discovered the word ふーたらぬっか in a Saga-ben dictionary, which means "overly or obnoxiously genki". It's apparently not used much now, which is a shame, because I've seen so many people who fit that description in my 3 years in this job.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

I like when I ask one of my students for their homework and they go うちありへん! Good for you, now you get a zero for the day in participation

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimusume View Post
    I am very partial to the expressions なあああああんば言いよんね!?(何言ってるの?), なあああああんばしよんね!?(何してるの?) and なあああああんば笑いよんね!?(何笑ってるの?)and use them as often as possible, and will probably continue to use them long after I leave Saga.

I also recently discovered the word ふーたらぬっか in a Saga-ben dictionary, which means "overly or obnoxiously genki". It's apparently not used much now, which is a shame, because I've seen so many people who fit that description in my 3 years in this job.

hahaha yes なんばしよんね?! i love it~ along with なんば言いよると?!

i've only ever heard ぬっか~ i'll have to ask some teachers about ふーたらぬっか

Quote Originally Posted by loljapan View Post
    I like when I ask one of my students for their homework and they go うちありへん! Good for you, now you get a zero for the day in participation
    is this 「わたし、ない」?

In 能登弁, you can say おる in place of いる。There's a couple others but I can't really remember them all but that one is kinda common.

I like my local dialect. Chikuho-ben or Tagawa-ben.

URUSAI is SHAASHII.
    DESU NE is BAI.
    WAKARANAI is just WAKARAN. same with other negative verbs. SHIRAN. ARIEN.
    DESU is YAROU.
    ~と言う is just a short voiceless "ch" sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

I don't think wakaran is limited to just your region. But I am not sure whether it orginated from your area and is not slang used across japan or if it is just general slang.

That ~jan? Orginally is from Osaka, though it is used in many places now. I think it is not that old either, developed in the past 30 years or something.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by saritajuanita View Post

is this 「わたし、ない」?
    Yep. 私 is うち here. For example, うちはウニめっちゃ嫌い!

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

I hear that, too, here in Tokyo. Uchi for watashi
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    I like my local dialect. Chikuho-ben or Tagawa-ben.

URUSAI is SHAASHII.
    DESU NE is BAI.
    WAKARANAI is just WAKARAN. same with other negative verbs. SHIRAN. ARIEN.
    DESU is YAROU.
    ~と言う is just a short voiceless "ch" sound.
    BAI is so awesome. i love it

i think the plain ん endings are used in other regions but are considered rough or impolite, but in kyushu it's perfect normal-- which is a part of why kyushu japanese sounds like fighting to people from other parts of japan

we use おる in place of いる as well.. i think a lot of dialects do this. it might be only tokyo really that uses いる

(though in my town, we also have おらす for the third person)

Quote Originally Posted by loljapan View Post
    Yep. 私 is うち here. For example, うちはウニめっちゃ嫌い!
    here too!

there are a lot of similarities between kyushu and kansai ben, i've been surprised to find out~

おる for  いる
    うち for わたし
    どない for 何か
    や for  だ
    せん for しない

any other ones? i dunno 
    Last edited by saritajuanita; May 24th, 2009 at 21:52. Reason: quote additions

I use なんでやねん! a lot. Usually when I'm giving my students a hard time lol. マジすか! is also a favorite of mine, though I don't think it's particular to the area.

Also, です becomes はる with obaa-chans around here.

Thanks for that video, Sarita! It's awesome!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm up in Tohoku, but there isn't much of a 弁 going on. (Southern Tohoku -- Miyagi). I've asked people to teach me some local dialect, but they mostly just shrug. What I have heard:

べ/ぺ: (EDIT) I clearly do not know what this means. Read Ampersand's post. I hardly ever hear it. I did once ask about it in the context of いぐべ and was told that it was like いこう?
    おばんです/おばんでございます: Not used often, and when it is used, it's usually sort of deliberate: like, "Okay, time to use the local expression for this..." I hear it at the start of nomikai speeches and the like: it's slang, but almost (in my -very- limited experience and unreliable assessment) has less of a "casual relaxed" tone and more of a "old-fashioned formality" feel to it. It basically means こんばんは.

Here's a webpage: http://members.tripod.com/MiyagiAJET/miyagi-ben.html
    But my caveat is: this is very ESID. 99.9% of that stuff I've basically never heard. People do not change え to い or し to す here for the most part.

I have run into a couple people with crazy Tohoku Japanese, though: one even described himself as speaking "ずうずう弁". I realized retroactively that whenever I'd meet someone and have the hardest time understanding them, it was because they had this way of speaking. It sounds kind of like they're mumbling.
    Last edited by Wakatta; May 26th, 2009 at 21:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    Thanks for that video, Sarita! It's awesome!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm up in Tohoku, but there isn't much of a 弁 going on. (Southern Tohoku -- Miyagi). I've asked people to teach me some local dialect, but they mostly just shrug. What I have heard:

べ/ぺ: I can count on two hands, probably, the number of times I've heard that in actual conversation. But it means kind of like ね or なぁ. I heard that the stereotypical Tohoku-ben phrase was "いぐべ?" but I've heard this maybe ONCE.
    I'm in a small town in eastern Chiba and people say "be/pe" all the time. It seems to be a catch-all phrase, sometimes it's more like "desho" but people say things like "ikube" a lot or as a replacement for ne.

Aside from that they throw on "yo's" to every word.

No idea what to call this dialect.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I'm in a small town in eastern Chiba and people say "be/pe" all the time. It seems to be a catch-all phrase, sometimes it's more like "desho" but people say things like "ikube" a lot or as a replacement for ne.

Aside from that they throw on "yo's" to every word.

No idea what to call this dialect.
    yeah some of my friends in tokyo were saying べ ... i think they were just doing it because it is kind of like a joke/popular?? maybe there is some actor or comedian that does it..

also, i want to hear ずうずう弁. maybe. is that more of an aomori rather than miyagi thing? i thought accents were real thick up there, but i have a friend that studied in iwate but she said they didn't really have accents

Quote Originally Posted by saritajuanita View Post
    also, i want to hear ずうずう弁. maybe. is that more of an aomori rather than miyagi thing? i thought accents were real thick up there, but i have a friend that studied in iwate but she said they didn't really have accents
    I think it's just an inaka thing. And an old guy thing. It's actually not that interesting: it just sounds like they're talking with a mouth full of marbles with a scarf around their face.
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm up in Tohoku, but there isn't much of a 弁 going on. (Southern Tohoku -- Miyagi).
    Spend some time farther away from Sendai, up into the mountains.

べ/ぺ: I can count on two hands, probably, the number of times I've heard that in actual conversation. But it means kind of like ね or なぁ.
    Bzzt. べ is added to plain forms of verbs to form the volitional--it's cognate to べき in standard Japanese. いぐべ is equivalent to いこう, and だべ is だろう. ぺ is added to polite forms, which are formed by adding す to the masu stem, so いきましょう is いぎすぺ in Tohoku-ben. One point is that る+べ becomes っぺ, so しよう becomes すっぺ. I hear "どうすっぺ?" all the time.

ね or な is often replaced with さ, especially if not sentence final.
    But my caveat is: this is very ESID. 99.9% of that stuff I've basically never heard. People do not change え to い or し to す here for the most part.
    Hang out with some old people. Even my JHS students say things like あずい, すばらずい, and たけえ. They may not say it to you or other teachers, but listen to how they talk each other. My kids also know a whole lot of vocab in the local dialect, but they generally use standard Japanese. Miyagi-ben is decidely uncool. It doesn't help that for a while Tohoku-ben (along with a few other dialects) was actively suppressed by the goverment.
    Last edited by ampersand; May 26th, 2009 at 20:37.
    "I have ... relations... with many of the students." -- Sai1

長崎弁 (Nagasaki-ben) here!

何しよっと? (nani shiotto) / 何している? / What are you doing?
    せんば! (senba) / しなければならない / You must do it!
    おらん。 (oran) / いない / s.o. is not here
    バリ(bari) / チョウ、めっちゃ、とても / very
    As in... バリくさい!(That freakin' stinks! - said by one of my kids while smelling her hands after removing the tabs off aluminium cans)

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    Spend some time farther away from Sendai, up into the mountains.

Bzzt. べ is added to plain forms of verbs to form the volitional--it's cognate to べき in standard Japanese. いぐべ is equivalent to いこう, and だべ is だろう. ぺ is added to polite forms, which are formed by adding す to the masu stem, so いきましょう is いぎすぺ in Tohoku-ben. One point is that る+べ becomes っぺ, so しよう becomes すっぺ. I hear "どうすっぺ?" all the time.
    I knew that (about いぐべ=いこう) but did not write it out for some reason; sort of kicking myself for that.

As for the ね/な thing, I meant when used with adjectives: don't people sometimes say like いいべ? Or maybe いいだべ?

But again, I hardly ever hear that, so I might be imagining that, too.
    Last edited by Wakatta; May 26th, 2009 at 21:30.

... it just hit me that if there is a べ with adjectives, the translation is probably more like いいでしょう or whatever.

Fucking hell, I am striking out tonight.