Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Fukuoka

Default Re: Fukuoka

Oooh Asakura! Are they in Amagi? It's a lovely area.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Hello hello! I'm a new Irish ALT, just found out recently that I'll be based in a SHS in Fukuoka City (Sawara-ku) and dead excited about it since Fukuoka was my first choice. I reckon that I must be taking one of the new positions that opened up this year so chances are I don't have a predecessor, but just wondering if there are many other Fukuoka-shi ALTs??

My supervisor also mentioned that I'll be living in a jutaku in the west of the city, anyone know where exactly this might be?? I'm desperate for any new info to obsess about at this stage! ha
    Looking forward to meeting ye all!

There's a healthy ALT community in Fukuoka City, I estimate around 15? I know that there are a few ALTs who live in Nishijin but no idea if you're there or not.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

I partied with the Irish JETs at Tokyo Orientation and you guys were super fun!

Jutaku in the west of the city...maybe Nishijin, like Tarquin said. If you are in Nishijin you have a placement dreams are made of...there's a Don Quixote (general novelty/grocery/adult store) and a subway stop plus tons of good restaurants less than a 10 minute walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    awesome! let me know if you know anyone going to Nogata!
    I don't have that much info on the person yet, but I heard about a new ALT who will likely move to Nogata and is replacing a SHS ALT from my jutaku (Kitakyushu).

Cheers for the info, seems i'll just have to wait it out then. My fingers and toes are crossed for Nishijin!

So how do you guys like Fukuoka so far? Where are you living? I want to know if any of you are in my jutaku. Apparently there are 6 new people but I've only met one dude so far.

They have clearly all perished in the Great Fukuoka Now Party Fire of 2010. Only those with scant clothing survived.

Sorry for the bump but Fukoka- yey or ney?
    I've a Japanese friend from there and she's warned me to stay away at all costs, that its a dull city where its always hot and rainy.
    But...I'm still considering it for a 3rd choice. I have Nagoya now but I've read elsewhere they're stopping Jets.
    Last edited by Tyr; November 5th, 2010 at 20:51.

Hardly a dull city, sure it’s no Tokyo or Osaka but it’s perfectly acceptable for everyday living.
    We have a rainy season but where the hell doesn’t in Japan?
    Yes it’s hot, not that much hotter than the lower parts of Honshu.
    Your friend is talking outta their arse.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Any word on the incoming 2012 JETs in Fukuoka?

I'll be coming to Fukuoka-ken. Not sure of the city yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin View Post
    We have a rainy season but where the hell doesn’t in Japan?

Yeah, except Fukuoka's rainy season is all year long, and is only broken up by the rainy-er season. Seriously, if it's not outright raining nearly every day, it's overcast and ominous. I've talked with some people who just don't notice, but it's kind of hard for me not to when I get hourly weather reports from a bunch of JHS kids. How's the weather today? It's CROUDY!

I'm also maybe a little more sensitive since my only transport is my feet or two wheels.

Every time I've been to Fukuoka (about 6 times since I've arrived here) it's been gorgeous weather. There's also plenty to do in Fukuoka!
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Well I didn't mean to imply there's never any nice days, when we do get a truly nice day (and there have been a couple of really nice ones this last month and a half) they're pretty spectacular. I wasn't here for last years rainy season, but it did rain nearly every day for a month or so starting in September. From November until March-ish it's rained at least 4 days of every 7--and typically on the weekends. Even when it's not raining there are a lot of overcast days, and more that are only sunny for a couple of hours.

My understanding is that this year the weather has been particularly rainy and unpleasant, but the annual average rainfall in Fuk is still close to double the average for most US cities.

I wish I knew who my pred is. I'm getting a little nervous because I still haven't heard anything from the BoE except for receiving a packet that every other Fukuoka JET has gotten. I just want to know where I'm going to liiiiive.
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

I guess it's time to start bumping these for the incoming JETs. Though I feel like there aren't that many on ITIL this year. Whatevs.