Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiga: Little Prefecture with a Big Lake

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Shiga: Little Prefecture with a Big Lake

Well now that I've heard that some (one?) of you fine newbies will be heading to Shiga I guess its time to start our own discussion topic. I have lived in a few cities here and know about most of the prefecture, so if you have any questions please let me know.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Default Re: Shiga: Little Prefecture with a Big Lake

Lies! It's a medium prefecture with an old lake

Yeah actually its categorized as an Ancient Lake. One of the oldest int he world. and it is big. cant see across parts of it. i guess there are smaller prefectures, but with all the mountains and the lake taking up like 2/3s of the prefecture the inhabitable land is quite small.

FiercestCalm

Yaaaaaaay!

I'm so pumped about Nagahama!

The question I have off the top of my head is how easy it is to get around - like should I be able to make do with a bike and using trains and buses? I better remember how to ride a bike again!

Yeah all the nags placements are close enough to bike to the station. and you are like one stop from a shinkansen stop as well. ~ an hour to kyoto, and +30mins to osaka and +30 more to kobe, also being in the north of shiga you will have good access to tsuruga and even nagoya (or gifu city but not too many people head out that way)
    Nagahama has loads of stuff and one of the more concentrated groups of JETs in Shiga. We hold our farewell and welcom bbqs there because of it.

Yeah Nagoya is actually closer to Nagahama than Osaka. I don't know why more people don't head out to Nagoya.

FiercestCalm

I did a homestay in Nagoya in high school (and Nagahama too) and I really liked it. Nice to hear that it's easy to get to!

Yeah Nagahama is fairly well situated. Right on the JR line. The community there is really nice to though I don't see many of the Nagahama folk venture out unless it is a BIG event. Partly because there are so many there and they have their own community.

Shiga is great and wonderful. Even if we do have a -tiny- lil lake that happens to be the (3rd?) most ancient in the world.

HI everyone,

I just got a call from James the CIR PA about my placement in omihachiman. Its seems pretty cool. I joined the shiga jet website forum thing and the community of JETS seems to be very active. I can't wait! Oh, I'm an amateur potter so I'm glad that there is a cool potter's town somewhere near my city. Have any of you gone there before?

the city you are talking about is probably shigaraki, they are famous for the pottery they produce, if you are going to omihachiman you will be working at my old schools. i left two years ago and they have had a couple of one year alts since, but i can let you know all kinds of stuff about hachiman if you want. there is even a really cool place to do pottery there, it will be about a 30min bike ride form your apartment but they have wheels and kilns and classes and a small cafe.

congrats, and look forward to meeting you, ill see ya in tokyo!

Yah I was feeling reeeeeeeaaaalllllly not good about my placement, but now that I've spoken to a few people and my pred, I'm feeling mighty fine, mighty fine indeed. And I'm going to be in a JHS, which is also pretty awesome! I think I'll be OK in little Kohoku-cho.

FiercestCalm

Is there much of a dialect in Shiga?

its kansai-ben and sounds a lot like kyoto or osaka-ben but it does have its own uniqueness, but you usualy only hear the 'hard to understand' stuff from the older generations.

oh and for kohoku-cho, its a little off the beaten path but really easy to hit nagahama, for nightlife and other ALTs. there used to be a haunted house that the ALTs there lived in, but now its roof has collapsed under the weight of all the snow last year, and the alts live in an apartment now.

Quote Originally Posted by omnichelle View Post
    Yah I was feeling reeeeeeeaaaalllllly not good about my placement, but now that I've spoken to a few people and my pred, I'm feeling mighty fine, mighty fine indeed. And I'm going to be in a JHS, which is also pretty awesome! I think I'll be OK in little Kohoku-cho.

Oh yay! I'm glad he got a chance to email you before he left for Tokushima this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    Is there much of a dialect in Shiga?
    There's Nagahama-ben. I used to hang out with this ojii-san from time to time in Nagahama (long story) and sometimes I would have ZERO clue what he was saying. Then one of my coworkers was like, "Oh yeah, that's Nagahama-ben, no one under the age of 40 understands it."

Quote Originally Posted by loljapan View Post
    Oh yay! I'm glad he got a chance to email you before he left for Tokushima this weekend.
    Yes! He did! You were right, he's so awesome, too. He wrote out a great summary of the placement and the school situation. I'm so pumped now. :-) Thanks so much for your help too.

Interesting spread so far! Omihachiman is a really nice place. Right on the JR line and you will almost definitely be placed in 'Gaijin Heights' with all the other ALTs.

This thread is busier than mine on the JET forums >.< But I did manage to find a Takashima person as well as a Higashiomi (yay) person there.

If I find the other (two?) Higashiomi folk I will have the full set!

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80 View Post
    there used to be a haunted house that the ALTs there lived in, but now its roof has collapsed under the weight of all the snow last year, and the alts live in an apartment now.
    That must have pissed the ghosts off!
    Last edited by Sloshed; June 2nd, 2009 at 08:44. Reason: Taka not Toku -shima

lol it almost makes it sound like he was living in the place when the roof collapsed. Luckily he had been moved into the apartment months before that occurred.

sloshed by tokushima do you mean takashima, on the west side? get them posting in here instead of the official forums.