Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Shiga: Little Prefecture with a Big Lake

Default Re: Shiga: Little Prefecture with a Big Lake

Looks amazing. Thanks for the info!

Just received my placement information! I will be in Shiga-ken, Maibara-shi.
    Shiga was my first placement choice so I'm pretty excited about it. I've only been to Omihachiman before, but loved it!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

maibara is only a few stops north of omihachiman. What were you in hachiman for previously?

you got the shikansen stop there, a few good hole in the wall restaurants a fun local karaoke, and you are in easy access to hachiman and south and the big Nagahama crew up north.

let us know if you have any questions!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

I was just visiting it with my host family for cherry blossom viewing and fell in love with it!
    Thank you!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

did you go down by the "moat" around the Himure Hachiman Jingu Shrine? its beautiufl down there....so beautiful that that is where I decided to get married!

also the best festival in shiga (and my favorite in most of japan) is held in hachiman each year -- sagicho matsuri.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Side note for any new comers:

Any runners who are interested in running a 3k, 10k, or a Marathon let me know. We have a small group of runners here and I have been trying to start up a small running group. It's a great way to see Japan, and meet some of the other JETs around the area. Grant it there are other ... less physically active ways to do the same thing, but if runnings your thing, or you just want to give it a try here we are.

Marathon's are very popular all over Japan and believe me when I say they are far from impossible. We have a few people who are training for the Nara Marathon coming up the the first week in December. There is also a 3k and a 10k as well, and registration starts tomorrow. Nara, however, is just a precursor to The Great Wall Marathon in May, which quite a few Shiga JETs have run and will vouch for. It's an amazing run.

Most of us that get together to run are in the Nagahama Maibara area, so drop me a line if your interested. And if you want to do Nara with us we will try to set something up.