Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saitama-ken 2009

Default Re: Saitama-ken 2009

I actually heard the number somewhere recently... I don't remember exactly what it was but 19 is pretty close to what it was... So yeah... Not much new blood.

Yeah, that's even lower than last go-around. I remember we were told in my year that it was about 26 and that it was like 60 last year. Then we got two transfers from another town (I think from yours Mothy) because of how much they've downsized. And with my town merging with the neighboring (private ALTed) town next door in the coming years, I think my job is next on the chopping block.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.

That sucks. My position seems pretty safe. It's the kind of high level academic school that doesn't seem to have their ALT cut so much. But I don't think I'll be recontracted the next time I'm up for recontracting. I've heard Saitama is one of the pickier prefectures about that. I know my pred got turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiro View Post
    Yeah, that's even lower than last go-around. I remember we were told in my year that it was about 26 and that it was like 60 last year. Then we got two transfers from another town (I think from yours Mothy) because of how much they've downsized. And with my town merging with the neighboring (private ALTed) town next door in the coming years, I think my job is next on the chopping block.
    Do you know if they ended up canning anyone last April?
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

Add another one to the list of incoming Saitama-ken ALTs!

I just received my placement information today (very late upgrade), and it just says "Saitama prefecture", so I guess that means I'm prefectural. So if anyone knows of a slot that recently opened up, it's probably me.

I'm not looking forward to a tiny apartment (especially as my googling for Leo Palace has returned some less than happy stories of random "fees" to be paid, especially on leaving), but at least it'll put off all my mooching friends who were counting on a free place to stay. And the downsizing is worrying for recontracting, even though I haven't arrived yet...

Oh well, whatever happens, I will have access to good mexican

Brits like Mexican food?

Saitama is a good place to be, and if you dont like it you can go to Tokyo whenever. I haved lived in a few Leo Palace appartments in Japan, they are not all equal.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    Do you know if they ended up canning anyone last April?
    Maybe they fired me and just haven't noticed I'm still coming in to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    Brits like Mexican food?
    This Brit does! We have a couple of Mexican food chains over here, and some really good independent places as well. Although having spent a lot of holidays in places like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc, my opinion of what qualifies as "good" is somewhat higher than the average Brit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiro View Post
    Hopefully if your town plans to get rid of JET they'll phase you out (i.e. let you re-contract if you want to, and just replace you with a private when you leave) rather than just let you go. My town's getting merge with a city that cut it's 4 JETs two years ago (for "budget" reasons, though really it was to get rid of one questionable JET, and in order to not single him out, they just fired everyone, oh, Japan) so, though next year will be my last, I have a feeling my position's day's are numbered >.<

Anyway, welcome to Saitama, Antonath! I'm curious if you'll be heading to Ina-gakuen in Ina-machi, since word is a couple of their ALTs changed their mind about recontracting recently. If so, be prepared for Leopalace fun ^.^
    Last edited by Ladama; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:58. Reason: me no speeky english

Quote Originally Posted by Ladama View Post
    Anyway, welcome to Saitama, Antonath! I'm curious if you'll be heading to Ina-gakuen in Ina-machi, since word is a couple of their ALTs changed their mind about recontracting recently. If so, be prepared for Leopalace fun ^.^
    Got to love the internet, I'm already reading about the school on the chance that's where I go. As for Leopalace, I shall try to think of it as less room = less cleaning to do ^_^

Well, here at Inagaku we found out a bit of info at last. We will be getting three JETs (the school had been told before by the prefecture that we'd only be getting two and then another private; we have one private already). We have a lad and a lass coming from the USA and another lass coming from Jamaica. That's all we know so far though. They'll probably be upgrades, though, since -- as you heard rightly -- all three of us who are leaving submitted our intentions long after the proper deadline. Oops.

Finally got my placement! I'm going to Chichibu High School. If anyone is or knows my predecessor in Chichibu, let me know!

Cool! Well cool that you know anyway... I don't really know anything about Chichibu, other than they have a big festival there every year.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Dear Saitama people: Where do you guys hang out on the internet?! Cause I've looked all over for y'all. Guess my google-fu just sucks, and my facebook search didn't turn up anything, so I just gave up. Are you here? *crickets*

Anyway, I'm looking for someone to take over a night class. The perks are good, the times and dates are super flexible, and overall it is a good side job, just the biggest problem is the place, which is in Kamikawa, on the border with Gunma. But if you're in Kamikawa, Kamisato, Honjo, that area, it is close enough. I don't want to say much more about it or spam the forum, so if anyone is interested in hearing any details, please PM me.

Otherwise, mainly, where can I get in touch with English-speaking foreigners in the Kamisato/Honjo area where I can post the class information/pass it on? Is there another website or forum I can go to? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

I hang out on Japanistan. But I wouldn't be caught dead in the area of Saitama you're talking about.

If you're looking to hand out jobs try Gaijinpot.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I hang out on Japanistan. But I wouldn't be caught dead in the area of Saitama you're talking about.

If you're looking to hand out jobs try Gaijinpot.
    Thanks, mothy, I'll check it out! Yeah, I know it is super inaka, but there have to be SOME people out there lol