Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kochi-ken JETs!

Default Kochi-ken JETs!

So just found out I'm off to Kochi! No city/town yet though so I'm assuming that means I'll be teaching high school which I'm pretty excited about

Anyone got any info on Kochi? In my excitement I'm finding it difficult to find much on it!

Who else is going to Kochi? And on that note who is there already?

Default Re: Kochi-ken JETs!

http://www.ithinkimlost.com/showthread.php?t=7783
    last years kochi thread, i'm sure some of your questions will be answered there, for the rest, ask em when\if some kochi people show up, or just wait for your pred to contact you (that's what i resigned myself to doing, although i got the general jist of my placement thanks to ishikawa jets on these forums, not many of them here)

Yeh I found the old one (reading through it atm) just thought it would be nice to gather the newbies together in a new thread!
    As for the predecessor thing as I'm prefectural I'm totally not expecting to hear anything till last minute. Ah well at least we know our prefectures now though ey?

It's definitely a start, can plan for things like weather (so clothes) and other general info like that.

Kochi is cool. normal sized people, good surfing - what more could you want

Lol normal sized people??

im a departing kochi jet, my successor is on these boards and may find their way to this thread.

anyway, kochi is apparently one of the wettest prefectures, so i hope you like rain. it is raining as i type this but that is not to be unexpected for this time of year. but yeah apparently we supply water for tokushima because of this rain.

kochi is the 2nd poorest and 2nd worst for education i have been told, with okinawa taking the prize for 1st. how truthful this is i don't know but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

kochi is one of the better places for surf in japan, unfortunately the last two years the typhoons have not been going on their usual path and resulting in less quality surf. hopefully this summer sees a change in that. of course like all beaches in japan, there are crowds. i have to say i hate crowds and im not used to them, so i have not enjoyed my time surfing here in japan... i have got a lot worse at surfing in my time here.

umm, yeah there is not even 800,000 people in this prefecture and it can take you perhaps 5 or more hrs to drive from the east to the west (never done it but takes around 3 hours to east from here and more than 2 hours to the west point) as a result there are going to be a big bunch of JETs you will see just a couple times in the year and not because they are anti social but just because we are so spread out.

the kochi jets are great people and you are going to have a lot of good friends here. im sure that can be said for all jet communities but yeah.. it is definitely true here in kochi. unfortunately my good friends in kochi are 50km-80km from my place so i don't get to catch up as much as i like.

there is the genki musical which tours kochi each year and is a combination of a western story and something from kochi's history. this year we did jack and the bean stalk mashed up with Dr. Tomitaro Makino, the father of japanese botany, a kochi man. it was a LOT of fun and i wish i was here another year just to be able to take part in the musical. no matter how much work it seems, take part in it next year. it will be worth it! the whole thing is done in the local tosa dialect, which is a great dialect, i like it much more than standard japanese.

umm.. good news is you won't have the nightmares other kochi jets are having after seeing my naked body as i won't be here.
    Last edited by karumu; May 28th, 2009 at 22:21.

Thanks Karumu that's some great info! The musical sounds pretty cool - found some pics online
    Were you municipal or prefectural JET? How difficult is it to get to mainland Japan?

Hi! I just got my placement. I'm going to Nankoku. I'm not sure how I feel about it, since I guess I really just assumed I'd get Honshu. Dealing with a few selfish things, like wanting to see the Hanshin Tigers play at Koshien again, wanting to revist my college landlady Kyoto, and all those plans of sightseeing famous mainland sites during whatever time off I might have. However, I'm unbelievably relieved to now know where I'm going and be able to answer questions from all the people pulling for me. Of course, I'll need to carry a map of Japan with me lol.

My biggest concern right now is luggage. The Guidebook warns that we may be charged overages for our baggage for our flight from Tokyo to our new home after Orientation. Is it best to just ship the majority of my stuff to Nankoku? I'm also curious about weather. I know it rains a lot, but as a Texan, I'm used to heat. Will I need cold-weather stuff quickly?

i hope you are a girl texastoki, because nankoku is ruled by the girls, haha. nankoku is pretty much like kochi-shi, they are essentially the same place so you have a good placement for a social life. also the expressway runs through nankoku so you can jump on the expressway in your car if you get one and drive up to honshu or you can grab a bus.

i was hired by the board of education of nakatosa.. now all those kochi people who weren't smart enough to work out from my katakana'd name who i am they can now..

as for getting to honshu, bus is the cheapest option if you are not driving (with the weekend toll discount driving is probably cheaper but you need a toll thing for your car and a credit card) it takes perhaps 5 hrs from kochi city to osaka, maybe 5.5. i have only used it a few times and can't remeber exactly.

you will definitely want to use expressway if you are driving, and the tolls will be a killer if you don't get yourself a toll thing for your car because you miss out on the discount.

as for luggage, i shipped everything from tokyo to my BOE, keeping only my carry on luggage for the orientation. of course i took my suit out of my main bag before that. i think that is the best way to do it.

EDIT: one of you high school bound jets, generally the prefectural ones, will be ending up in Susaki, which is 14km from me. so please get along with my successor so the two of you can enjoy your time here much more ^^ i don't want my successor to be leaving after 1 year like i am.
    Last edited by karumu; May 29th, 2009 at 09:09.

Yup, I'm a girl. I look forward to meeting everybody. I'm getting antsy.

Packing seems like such a horrendously overwhelming task at the moment. Of course, my main priority right now needs to be finding a new home for my ferrets. (I believe I have one lined up, but I'm not sure she's really going to be ready to take them July 23rd.)

Anyway, thanks for the info about the bus! I will not be driving in Japan. I got hit by a car on my bike the last time I was there and broke my right foot. It seizes up when I try to drive. Not fun or safe for others.

How different is Tosa-ben from standard Japanese? When I studied in Kyoto, I made a conscious effort to avoid dialects, for fear that I would only learn the way to express myself in a dialect and not in standard. Plus, I want to take the JLPT.

sorry to hear about your foot, you won't need to drive in nankoku anyway but make good friends with someone who has a car so you can leech rides off them when things happen out either side of the prefecture

you don't want to learn a dialect? standard japanese is so... yuck... i think dialects are the best thing since sliced bread, haha. you will need to pick up some of the tosa dialect to understand what locals are saying i would think. i know in my placement everyone from the old grannies to my students speak to me in tosa dialect and not being willing to learn it would make things a little more difficult to understand what is being said. plus it really brings a huge smile to their faces when you speak to them in dialect, they are so happy you are embracing the kochi life.

people love to come see the genki musical because it is all in tosa dialect, they just enjoy seeing a bunch of foreigners communicate in their dialect and if the show has some laughs etc then it is a bonus for them (it gets plenty of laughs)

if you are worried about your level of japanese for the JLPT being ruined, just remember to learn what tosa dialect = what standard japanese. rather than only learning the dialect. really not that hard, besides all your study materials will be in standard japanese so i don't think you need to worry. besides the JLPT doesn't ask you to write a chunk of japanese or speak in japanese, you just need to listen and read and circle things

Girls speaking Tosa = the super cuteness

Seriously. Tosa speaking girls are in great demand around Japan.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

I'm a bit over an hour out of Kochi city but not in Kochi.

I don't know how anyone would survive outside of Kochi city itself without a car.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Well, I agree that learning the dialect will make people happy. But in school, using one of the Kansai dialects was very heavily frowned on. You might use it correctly, but it wasn't accepted as a correct answer because it wasn't standard. And then there were all those shows where people using non-standard Japanese had to have subtitles under them so everyone in Japan could understand them. That really drove home how different the dialects can be from standard.

And then there was Japanese teacher back at uni, who ridiculed me for about 5 minutes after I unintentionally used the little bit of Kyoto-ben I'd picked up in response to her question in class. Really stunk after she'd spent the first few minutes of class building me up since I was the only one in the class who had been to Japan.

So, yeah, dialects haven't been my friend, but I'll work on changing my attitude towards them and maybe they'll change theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I don't know how anyone would survive outside of Kochi city itself without a car.
    People say that about San Antonio, too, but I do it. Believe me, it's safer I don't drive for all involved. Plus, visions of plummeting off those narrow roads into a rice paddy would guarantee no sleep for the next two months lol.

BTW -- my boyfriend is a fan of your screen name. I immediately pointed it and your quote out, since he so cheerfully inflicted that movie on my best friend and me last month.

Sweet

But Kochi is not anything like San Antonio. We're talking very, very, wide open spots. It's where the pilgrams drop out of the 88 temple pilgramage because they walk 3 days without seeing a single person....

If you are near a train station you should be okay. If not, I'd recommend getting a car.

Plus you can't get to most of the best beaches in Kochi without a car
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

To karumu, yes, I did make my way here! DD

Hello everyone! I'm going to Nakatosa-cho this July. I think I've PMed most of the newbies from the Placement thread, but I'd love to meet/chat with all the JETs already there as well.

Yoroshiku ne,
    tayuri

First off, I'm not a Kochi ken JET.

SCUBA DIVING

Kochi has some really kick ass SCUBA Diving locations. If you're a diver you're in luck. If you have any questions about diving, or want to see some photos from diving in Kochi and Ehime, just PM me.

Whale Watching

You can do whale watching. Also, whale eating. Do the former not the later.

Diving huh, I've never done it before, is this with equipment or free diving? Either way, how hard is it for a beginner?