Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kochi-ken JETs!

Default Re: Kochi-ken JETs!

It snows a ton up near the karst areas by Yusuhara. I'm on the north side of Jiyoshi pass about an hour away.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

it's about 15-20 minutes to Ochi from Niyodogawa, and another 15 or so to Sakawa from Ochi isn`t it? I wasn`t really paying attention to time when I was driving that way so may be further.

I used to ride my bike from Gohoku > Ino > Sakawa > Ochi > Gohoku

It is a nice area around there.

Also can someone fill me in... where is Yusuhara?

That would be north central Kochi near the border of Ehime. Kind of the southwestern edge of Shikoku Karst, west of Nyodogawa and south of Kumakogen.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; June 5th, 2009 at 10:57.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Ok thanks, so it must be a bit west of me. A lot of the Kochi JETs I know are sticking around, so I wonder how many more we will get on this forum. I hope the new guy that is coming to my area turns up on here.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasToki View Post
    But in school, using one of the Kansai dialects was very heavily frowned on. You might use it correctly, but it wasn't accepted as a correct answer because it wasn't standard. And then there were all those shows where people using non-standard Japanese had to have subtitles under them so everyone in Japan could understand them. That really drove home how different the dialects can be from standard.

Yeah, well this is the country and people are a little less anal (if that is possible for Japanese people). All my teachers and students use Tosa-ben in class and everywhere else. But don't worry, it's not hard to understand. Only older people use it a lot. Mostly, it's just things like replacing for から and ちゅう for している. If you already speak a bit of Japanese you'll learn Tosa-ben you need really quickly. Don't worry about it.

Also, it does snow in northern Kochi, up in the hills. It drops down to 2 degrees in the middle of winter. You will need winter gear eventually. I was wearing my snowboard clothes inside all December and January.

Yes, it's easy to get to any of the bigger cities on Honshu via bus. The buses are comfy and cheap. There is a train line but it's slow and expensive. If you are placed outside of the city, i would super strongly suggest you buy a car. I wish we didn't need them here but really, pt is just too shit here. If you want to do anything outside of your town and not spend all your money and time getting there, you will need a car. You can get really good cars for under $2000 Australian - for example, my hot wheels are up for grabs at $1500 - and they won't cost you too much cash. They are worth having.

I would also recommend asking for a credit card (or i think you can apply at the big mall AEON for some kinda card there that you can use?) when you apply for your bank account (This goes for all incoming JETs) . You need it to apply for an ETC toll card. GET THIS! It will save you millions in discount tolls. Don't be like me and think you won't use the expressway. You will want to! Ask your pred about it. IF they don't know, ask your B.O.E.

Congratulations if your heading to Kochi. It's a great place to be.

Someone asked about Kochi specialties... Murotoites are all about whale dick

Hi all, I just got upgraded yesterday and found out today that I will be going to Kochi! I am really excited and hope to meet all of you. I was wondering if anyone has any info on the special needs school there, I guess thats where I am teaching, or any info at all. Thanks and cant wait to meet you all
    "Percussionist....During the rests....pray"
    Eugene Ormandy

Good stuff man, it is a really great place in my opinion.

No idea about the school though sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    Apparently the board of education doesnt realize I am in the fight of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    three HIV tests later spread out over 1+ year and i can now say i dont regret it

how much did you guys need for start up cost, and whats the average rent. I know ever situation is different....just looking for a number. I think I am going to be ether in Kochi city or 30 min outside.
    "Percussionist....During the rests....pray"
    Eugene Ormandy

I'm moving to Kochi this year (2012). Is there anyone on this forum still in Kochi?

I am in Kochi! Do you know where in Kochi you will live?