Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyama-ken

Default Toyama-ken

Ok so I got placed in Toyama-ken (no city or town). I saw on the JET Programme stats that there are 97 ALTs there...how come none of you guys are on here giving us advice. Since I know nothing about it, some help would be nice.

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

hey ToRRpedo,
    I think other than Paladia i'm the only active Toyama JET on this site. No worries though, it's a fun place and we have a great jet community. It's a little out of the ways, but really beautiful.
    you can track down some more people by checking out toyamajets.net/boards or the main web page toyamajets.net.

feel free to pm me any questions!

oh and you should hear about a more specific placement soon, hopefully by the end of next week.
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around ITIL since I started applying for JET, but only just now decided to sign up for an account since I got my placement yesterday. I'm headed to Takaoka-shi, and I'm glad to see there's a Toyama thread already started!

It looks really beautiful over there. I'm excited to see it in person.

pension received

Default Re: Toyama-ken

hi phlox,
    yeah toyama is really pretty, Takaoka is one of the bigger cities and has a decent number of JETs. hope you hear more information soon.

Toyama for all the ripping it gets from a certain ITIL member is really nice we have the ocean on one side and the beautiful mountains on the other, you can go from snow caps to the ocean in a day!
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Packing to return to the greatest city in the world!

Hey Phlox, I might be your pred but I have no info about my successor yet.

I'll keep you posted.
    We don't need no insulation!
    We don't need no birth control!
    No western toilets in the bathroom!
    Gaijins, leave them Japs alone!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a linguist, not a tape recorder!

Quote Originally Posted by yohgrl23 View Post
    Toyama for all the ripping it gets from a certain ITIL member
    *whistles innocently*

Quote Originally Posted by Paladia View Post
    Hey Phlox, I might be your pred but I have no info about my successor yet.

I'll keep you posted.
    Awesome! Let me know if you find out anything. I just signed up for the toyamajets.net forum too (same username), just waiting for my account to be confirmed.

Im also in Toyama, but not as a JET. I can however help whoever ends up heading to Nanto city, which is my neck of the woods. I think there will be 2 new high school JETs and one ES/JHS that is rather close to where I am. So if you end up in this area and dont know your pred, let me know and Ill try to connect you with him/her.

pension received

Quote Originally Posted by Paladia View Post
    *whistles innocently*

actually surprisingly enough i wasn't even thinking of you when i said that. you don't like your placement for legit reasons.
    i was thinking of some ishikawa guy whose name is for some reason completely escaping me at the moment.
    either timoshi or tedcase.. (sorry honestly can't remember, and don't have time to look)
    Last edited by yohgrl23; May 29th, 2009 at 14:13.

it's true, i've been told on numerous occasions by ITIL members that Toyama is ass, but to each his own i say, i'm sure there's stuff to find no matter where you go

Meh, with only a few exceptions I think Toyama is wholly average. None of the cities are very exciting or worth visiting unless you live within an hour drive. There are of course some places with beautiful scenery and good tourist spots but those are really just limited to the mountains, the rest is rather flat and full of farmland.

pension received

sorry if that came out rude paladia. it wasn't intended as such.

anyway your view of Toyama probably depends on where you come from. I'm from really really rural Vermont, its got nothing and you can drive for 3 hours and still find nothing. So Toyama is actually perfect for me. The fact that the grocery store/bank/post office/anything are all reachable within 10-30 minutes is a very novel idea for me.
    I'm used to a 45 minute one way drive to the nearest grocery store.

Haha, I am in the exact opposite situation. I was less then 5 minutes from 2 big grocery stores and less then 30 minutes from Seattle, Washington. Needless to say it couldnt be considered rural. Now I live about 30 min away by car from the nearest grocery store that has any selection at all. All thats in this area are convience store sized places. But Im learning to like how quiet and calm it is here. Its all about attitude. If you dont like it and thats all you think about of course youll hate everything about the area. If you are open and try to enjoy your time here, it will be much better.

So dont listen to what people say, try to enjoy your time here and decide about Toyama after youve lived here.
    Last edited by Grimalkin; May 29th, 2009 at 15:34.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Grimalkin - I lived in Nanto before it was even called Nanto [town was then called Shogawa-machi and I worked in Inamai-machi]. Can't imagine where you are that it's a 30-minute drive to a grocery store! Are you up near Toga-mura or something?!?!

Anyway, Toyama is fantastic and I had just as good a time there as I had in Osaka - and certainly a lot more 'traditional Japanese' experiences, not that that's everything. I was so spoiled there, too, because I was the first ALT they'd had at one of my schools.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I heard that if you get Toyama-ken as your placement, you will become a Toyama City ALT. I am not sure if this is true or not though.

My school is opening up a spot since I will be changing job types. My school will be receiving a male ALT from either the United States or Canada. We haven't received the name or contact information of the person yet though. I will contact the person as soon as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    Grimalkin - I lived in Nanto before it was even called Nanto [town was then called Shogawa-machi and I worked in Inamai-machi]. Can't imagine where you are that it's a 30-minute drive to a grocery store! Are you up near Toga-mura or something?!?!
    Actually yes, I don't live in Toga, but its one of the areas I teach at. I am about 15 minute drive from Toga. I do have little food stores that are about the size of convenience stores, but of course they have no selection. But I could live off only shopping there if I really needed to.

That being said, if my successor is reading this, in many respects (FINANCES! EXPRESS TRAIN!) you will be better off than many JETs. Especially if you're not from a big city, you may like it here quite a lot.

....i'm from a big city. hopefully i'll enjoy it....wherever i'm going. what are the expenses like? i know i don't have a specific place i'm going, but on average what do you guys pay for rent? do i really need the recommended $2,000 coming to toyama?
    Last edited by ToRRpedo; May 30th, 2009 at 00:03.

Quote Originally Posted by ToRRpedo View Post
    ....i'm from a big city. hopefully i'll enjoy it....wherever i'm going. what are the expenses like? i know i don't have a specific place i'm going, but on average what do you guys pay for rent? do i really need the recommended $2,000 coming to toyama?
    Dunno. I needed 1,000 but had an empty apartment and no pred.

.....what is with your avatar? i'm slightly disturbed. hahaha