Thread: finding a place to live... in another country?

Default finding a place to live... in another country?

Has anyone around here tried finding an apartment at home while living overseas? I'm getting ready to try and do this, but I'm feeling rather overwhelmed by the task. How do you find landlords open to renting without meeting you in person? How do you know the place you want to live is habitable?

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on things to avoid? I know many folks around here have lived abroad before, or maybe you're an already returned ALT who needed to do this when you went back home? Either way, I could use some advice.

At this point I'm thinking maybe I go through a realtor to try and sign a lease via them or I try to find some big, generic apartment complexes and see if they have any free units.

Default Re: finding a place to live... in another country?

craigs list
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Yes, normally I would use craiglist. But do you think it's still feasible if it's a stranger from overseas?

I'm a little leary of using craigslist this time, given that those tend to be private/independent landlords looking for tenants on their own. I'm not sure your friendly neighboorhood (or sleezy neighborhood) landlord is going to be really into sending lots of photos and/or renting to someone they haven't met.

Or will they? What do y'all think?

Never know if you don't try, it and can't really hurt. Just contact some landlords, and some are reluctant to do business\send pictures, just move on to the next one.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

are you heading back to a place taht you dont know anyone in the area? also most cities have weekly/monthly hotel rates. I was thinking to try and either find some one i know to crash with for a week or so while i look or get one of those rooms for a few weeks while i sort stuff out.
    that being said there are so so many online apartment and house searching websites these days with great pictures and videos of places so landlords have to know that sometimes people will just decided via a website and never get face time. I think it would be a little nerve racking doing it that way, but you should be fine.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Just use craigslist to get in contact with a number of potential places. Then move to the city and check yourself into a hotel for a week and go visit the places one by one and then you decide on the best.

It's really quite simple.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Never know if you don't try, it and can't really hurt. Just contact some landlords, and some are reluctant to do business\send pictures, just move on to the next one.
    Very true! It can't hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80 View Post
    are you heading back to a place taht you dont know anyone in the area? also most cities have weekly/monthly hotel rates. .
    Yeah, exactly. And its an area where you generally need to grab a place about 2 months before your move date. :P

Oh well, like you said, it's nerve wracking but ultimately something will happen. I don't really have the money for the hotel option, but at the worst I can try to find a SRO or hostel for a month or two and keep my stuff in storage. This is one of those times when I'd love it if there were decent capsule hotels in the US with long-term stay options.