Thread: Oita-ken

Default Oita-ken

Hey everyone, just got the letter saying I'll be in Oita-ken, Hita-shi. Anyone else coming here? Anyone know anything about my placement? I searched ITIL for Oita but didn't find anything. Looks like I'll be close to Fukuoka and Kumamoto, so thats cool.

Default Re: Oita-ken

Gah! Don't let me be all alone! I did some searching though and found this on WikiJET, which was extremely helpful, so if anyone is placed in Hita or just curious, check it out:

http://jet.wikia.com/wiki/Hita

Hey! I'm a current JET in Oita and would be glad to answer any questions people have.

First let me direct you to http://www.oitajets.com - This page has some nice info and contact details for our Prefectural Advisor, AJET President, and other important people.

Next, check out the Facebook Group "Oita Peeps" to see some of the people currently living here.

On a personal note: I'm actually leaving this year, but my successor will be a BoE ALT (no specific city, just Oita-ken on your paper), able to teach French, and most likely male (though female is possible). If that sounds like you, send me a PM.

Again, feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to give you what answers I can or point you to people who have the information.

Hey Loryne, great to hear from you! Don't think I'm your successor, my placement was specifically Hita-shi, and I don't speak a word of French (except for what I remembered from those Muzzy commercials).

How'd you like it there? Ever visit Hita? Nightlife reccomendations? Sorry, I'm just trying to find out everything I can. Thanks for any help you can offer!

I've only been to Hita once (just last week actually) for a really spectactular fireworks festival. From what I've heard, there's an artisan street that is cobblestone and lined with small family shops that is a must see. I think I know who you're replacing, but I don't want to jump the gun and hand out wrong info and mess things up, but they should be contacting you soon.

I've been placed in Oita-ken, but in Oita City which I'm sure isn't too far away Nice to meet you!

Hi! I'm going to be living in Oita-ken too!

There's also an Oita thread at the official forums:
    http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1607

Sweet, more people. I think Oita city is like an hour away from Hita, but I think I'll be a frequent visitor if theres a lot to do there. Are you group A or B? I'm B, so if you are, I'll look forward to meeting at orientation!

I'm in group B! If you have a Facebook I'm here, it'd be nice to know some people before I leave the country!

Aww, maybe I'm the only 'A'! The prefecture orientation will be lonely ("what's that? There are people on the JET Programme who AREN'T glued to forums? Bah, never!")

I actually visited Hita on my last trip to Japan and thought it was a nice little town. It is definitely small but you're not that far off from Fukuoka. I went there specifially for their hot springs and remember the people there being really friendly! Good luck!

Hi, I see no one has posted here in a while but if anyone in Oita comes by, I just found out I'm going to Taketa. ^^

Hello future prefecture-neighbour! I'm ppretttyyyy sure I know who your pred is. Been to Oita once for a zazen retreat and it seems a nice place (plus your place is right on the express train track to Kumamoto/other places)
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Oita is nice. I've been there twice, in 04 and 09, and always had a relaxed time.
    Huge Omedetous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Hello future prefecture-neighbour! I'm ppretttyyyy sure I know who your pred is. Been to Oita once for a zazen retreat and it seems a nice place (plus your place is right on the express train track to Kumamoto/other places)
    There's castle ruins there which is good enough for me.