Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Uncle Dom

Default Ask Uncle Dom

Ok I don't know why there hasn't been one of these threads this year yet. Usually someone starts a thread and invites questions to be asked here in the heavily moderated applying forum (meaning you can ask anything and not get flamed but at the same time because this is ITIL and not CLAIR you'll get an honest answer not a rose coloured glasses 'it's culture shock' CLAIR answer) and the person who starts the thread regrets it a few days afterward.

This year I sacrifice myself. Pick my brains from 3 years of JET experience and I'll try to answer your questions with more than 'ESID'. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions. Other old JETs please join in spreading the love and let's create some community.

Go.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Default Re: Ask Uncle Dom

Why does daddy drink every night?

Because of you.

Chances of having internet in an elementary or junior high school in the inaka? Just curious. At home is no problem, right?
    Oklahoma to Okayama

Shouldn't be a problem at home though some JETs have to wait a little while before they get internet. This is a question that you should ask your pred. A lot of people use Yahoo BB which takes forever to set up. However if your pred is using a small internet company it may be possible to just change it to your name and then you can use it from day one.

At school once again even out in the inaka you should be ok. The internet I have in the inaka is hands down better than I get in the biggest city in Australia. I have a computer at my desk which when I got it 3 years ago was pretty uncommon but now a lot of my mates do too. A lot of other JETs bring their own laptop and are able to hook up to the internet at their desk.

I do have some friends though who have to share the communal office computers which would suck I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Go.
    Best place to find a halfway decent bike without shelling out major cash? Bike locks necessary or no?

Do I really need to worry about customs when shipping myself medication from the States?
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

I thought you were already here?

Oh well. Um ... what kind of bike do you want? Like you can even get a decent bike for a few man at Sports Authority or similar. But even some little places in bigger cities will sell ok bikes. If you're a big boy you may need to have them imported. You don't want to fuck with this like because you'll hurt your knees. Mine was imported but it's just a giant so from Taiwan. Get the biggest bike lock possible. Japanese people just love stealing bikes.

Yes. Even Nurofen Plus is an illegal drug here.

So what is the process for getting several month's to a year's worth of medication thru customs?

FiercestCalm

Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    So what is the process for getting several month's to a year's worth of medication thru customs?
    Stick it in your rolled up t-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    Stick it in your rolled up t-shirts.
    Seriously? I mean, if I can get away with that I will...

What's the legit procedure?

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

I thought you were already here?

Oh well. Um ... what kind of bike do you want? Like you can even get a decent bike for a few man at Sports Authority or similar. But even some little places in bigger cities will sell ok bikes. If you're a big boy you may need to have them imported. You don't want to fuck with this like because you'll hurt your knees. Mine was imported but it's just a giant so from Taiwan. Get the biggest bike lock possible. Japanese people just love stealing bikes.

Are you talking about another bike lock above the wheel-locking mechanism that all bikes here come with? If so, it depends on how BFI you are. I have to see any sort of bike lock beyond that... and most people on my island don't even both to lock the wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They are like elongated octopi, but with only 6 testicles.

someone at my office told me that he used to take his bike via plane for like $75. is this still possible and would it be worth the hassle? i have an decent trek bike, but i'm not super picky as long as i have something that moves when i pedal.

I live in the pretty funky inaka and people steal bikes here.

They RETURN them but they still steal them.

The legitimate procedure is to fill in the customs form you'll get with your JET package somewhere along the line. I've never had my bag searched by J customs though I think I've been very lucky. I've come into the country many times and I've seen a lot of bag searches going on. But a lot of people reckon that with JET they just wave everyone through. For the sake of 10 minutes filling in a form I don't think it's worth the risk of getting your medication confiscated or worse.

What company would you recommend for shipping stuff over we don't want to lug over in our suitcases?

FiercestCalm

Quote Originally Posted by kemmi View Post
    What company would you recommend for shipping stuff over we don't want to lug over in our suitcases?
    This just got sent out over the Atlanta list from our coordinator:

Shipping companies:

·DHL http://www.dhl-usa.com/IntlSvcs/detail/JumboBox.asp?nav=dhlExp/IDeliveryServices/DHLJumboBox
    ØJumbo Box for shipments up to 55 lbs. Jumbo Box is sturdy enough to hold computers and printed materials. DHL will pick up your shipment and deliver it door-to-door.
    ·Hankyu http://www.hankyu-usa.com/services.asp?service=cometpac
    ØCOMET PAC is Hankyu’s small package door-to-door delivery service designed to provide transportation of small shipments. COMET PAC’s all-inclusive rate covers pick-up, air transportation, terminal and handling charges, and delivery. The following limitations apply:
    ØMax. weight per shipment: 70 kgs. (volume weight: 6000 cm3 : 1 kg.)
    ØMax dimensions: 150 cm (width + length + height)
    ·Nippon Express http://www.nipponexpressusa.com/serv...ll_package.php
    ØPelican Jet Pak service is an ideal way to transport small, valuable items and documents. Rapid, reliable door-to-door service goes to and from the US and Japan.
    ·Yamato Transport http://yamatoamerica.com/e/parcel/us.html
    Ø"Takkyubin" is Yamato's door to door parcel delivery service.
    ØMaximum package size (sum of length, width & height) is 160cm (63 inch) per box.
    ØMaximum weight is 25kg (55 lbs) per box.
    ØDelivery service for oversized / overweight package is also available.
    ·UPS http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...ded/boxes.html
    ØReceive destination-based fixed rates on your international express shipments up to 10 kg (22 lbs) and 25 kg (55 lbs) when you ship in UPS-supplied 10 kg and 25 kg boxes.
    ·U.S. Postal Service http://www.usps.com/international/mbags.htm
    ØAirmail M-Bags deliver a large amount of mail to a single addressee. All categories of printed matter can be enclosed in an Airmail M-bag. Printed matter is defined as paper on which words, letters, characters, figures, images, or any combination thereof, not having the character of a bill or statement of account, or of actual or personal correspondence, have been reproduced by any process other than handwriting or typewriting.
    ØMinimum weight - There is no longer a minimum-weight threshold for Airmail M-bag usage. However, customers who tender Airmail M-bags that weigh less than 11 pounds are still required to pay the applicable 11-pound postage rate.
    ØMaximum weight - 66 pounds (including the tare weight of the sack).

You are fantastic, thank you!

Um.. this is an odd question, but you said anything...

How easy can you buy tomatoes in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by kemmi View Post
    By the by; a quick check on a few website shows that the cost to just bring a bag and pay the additional fee on the airline is often cheaper than shipping it, so it's worth checking.

For example, on Delta the third bag is $200, but that's up to ~50 lbs of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

FiercestCalm

Quote Originally Posted by Waldroon View Post
    By the by; a quick check on a few website shows that the cost to just bring a bag and pay the additional fee on the airline is often cheaper than shipping it, so it's worth checking.

For example, on Delta the third bag is $200, but that's up to ~50 lbs of stuff.
    Keep in mind that you still have to lug this stuff around the airport/to your house, though, so the extra money to get it shipped might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by pheldda View Post
    Um.. this is an odd question, but you said anything...

How easy can you buy tomatoes in Japan?
    Some of the best tomatoes I've had have been in Japan. Very very common. Limes and garlic are expensive in my area but that's just my area. Finding 'hot peppers' is very very difficult though.

So worry not about tomatoes. They are relatively cheap and good quality. (The only better ones that I've had have been homegrown or locally grown in the US)