Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting stuff home: Post office convenience

Paul

Default Posting stuff home: Post office convenience

I'm tired so I'll keep this short.

The post office is the cheapest way to send stuff home. 30kg to the UK by surface mail is 13000 yen.

It comes with the added bonus of free pickup by simply giving the post office a call. They also have a dedicated English phone number. Can you get any better service than this? I honestly think not.

Hats off to them, fantastic service.

That sounds pretty decent compared to some of the prices that were floating about one of the other 'sending shit home' threads. Take it you're sorted so, good job.
    Action, must be taken. We don't need the key, we'll break in.

In case anyone is wondering, you can also send home suitcases using the post office's surface mail and it's way cheaper than using shipping companies. I dragged a 23kg suitcase to the post office and they wrapped it up really well and it cost just over 11,000 to send back to the UK.

Paul

The very happy post office man came to my door within 50mins of me calling for a pickup. I'm so going to miss Japanese customer service

Default Re: Posting stuff home: Post office convenience

The post office told me that my bags are too big. I tried using a standard duffel bag to ship my stuff home. I have to look for a back-up now.

EDIT: Has anyone used this company - http://www.shipmates.jp/index.php
    Last edited by Urthona; June 10th, 2009 at 14:06.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Urthona View Post
    The post office told me that my bags are too big. I tried using a standard duffel bag to ship my stuff home. I have to look for a back-up now.

EDIT: Has anyone used this company - http://www.shipmates.jp/index.php
    Did you look at the max size allowed on their website? I sent an absolutely huge box that required 2 people to lift and it was just within their max limits for the UK (3m using their dimension charts).

Quote Originally Posted by kek View Post
    Did you look at the max size allowed on their website? I sent an absolutely huge box that required 2 people to lift and it was just within their max limits for the UK (3m using their dimension charts).
    Is it this link?

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ser...parcel_en.html

I was using one of those standard duffel bags that have a pair of wheels to make them easier to move in an airport, so I was surprised that he was saying it was too big - especially if the sizes above are allowed.

Paul

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/img/int..._parcel_en.gif

Yep, that one. The bag you describe should be alright, as long as its not longer than 1.5m on one side and within 3m length+(width+breadth)x2

Quote Originally Posted by kek View Post
    http://www.post.japanpost.jp/img/int..._parcel_en.gif

Yep, that one. The bag you describe should be alright, as long as its not longer than 1.5m on one side and within 3m length+(width+breadth)x2
    Cool, thanks. Not to sure why he was saying it was too big as it fits within those dimensions.

I'll print out the Japanese version of that page and start asking why it isn't okay.

Also, does anyone know about the M-bags - the bags for shipping books? I did a price estimate at the maximum weight - 30 kg and it quoted the price as the same as any other 30 kg thing sent by surface mail. I thought that the printed matter only shipping was meant to be a bit cheaper?

You could always try a different post office, I remember i was trying to ship something over from one post office, but the person there was giving me shit, so I just tried a different one and bam no problems...admittedly this was all in Canada, but I'm sure it applies everywhere (a person being an asshole etc).

Paul

Also, does anyone know about the M-bags - the bags for shipping books? I did a price estimate at the maximum weight - 30 kg and it quoted the price as the same as any other 30 kg thing sent by surface mail. I thought that the printed matter only shipping was meant to be a bit cheaper?
    I very seriously considered an mbag then realised it works out cheaper to just send 2 mixed content boxes (ie. standard parcels) of 30kg and 20kg rather than split it into books for an mbag and a standard parcel for others.

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

the Mbag thing is great.
    I just did it yesterday. I had about 9 kilo's of books and sent it to the U.S for 4000 yen. My friend had about 13 kilos and it was about 6500 yen to Canada. You can only send books and other printed matter though. Also I had a lot of books but in the end they didn't weigh all that much. Plus I have plenty of other stuff to ship so my boxes are mostly full.
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Paul

To the UK by surface mail:
    15kg mbag = 6700 yen
    30kg parcel = 13750 yen.

In my situation, it was cheaper just to send 2 huge boxes of crap instead of books in a bag and then boxes of crap.

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

makes sense kek.

i have about 3 or 4 boxes worth of stuff... (i know i'm a packrat) so it made sense for me to do the books and the rest of the junk separately. either way i'm paying out the ear to get all this shit home. my 500 yen savings bank is definitely getting cracked open for the next trip to the post office.
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by yohgrl23 View Post
    for the next trip to the post office.
    Give them a call on the english number for a free pickup. Why get all sweaty lugging all your stuff to the post office? Get them to come to you

Fucking America, they don't use A - the 3 meter measurement but rather B, which is only 2 meters. So, my bags were about 30 cm over the limit - longest side plus circumference from the other two sides.

For the anti-mildew, anti-bug packets that keep stuff dry in damp conditions - what are those called in Japanese? I'm guessing a pharmacy will sell them, right? How many should be put in a large cardboard box anyway?

Right dumb question but save me a trip to the post office.

Do I use any old box or should I buy a box from Japan Post or is that even possible?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Right dumb question but save me a trip to the post office.

Do I use any old box or should I buy a box from Japan Post or is that even possible?
    I was told yesterday that I could use a box from somewhere else. Japan Post boxes only seem to go up to 120 cm total anyway.

Paul

For the anti-mildew, anti-bug packets that keep stuff dry in damp conditions - what are those called in Japanese? I'm guessing a pharmacy will sell them, right? How many should be put in a large cardboard box anyway?
    Not a clue, I didn't use any. I may regret it later, but hopefully not as surely it's up to the transporter to keep conditions within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Any box can be used. the post office only has tiny ones, if you want bigger ones, get them from http://www.bestcarton.com/ I got a bloody strong 3m total dimension box (biggest allowed for UK) for about 800 or 900 yen. Max weight allowed by post office is 30kg, but that box could have held 50kg no problem.

How about insurance?
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.