Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posting stuff home: Post office convenience

Paul

Default Re: Posting stuff home: Post office convenience

Insurance isn't offered for surface mail shipments to the UK, that's all I know. The postman actually made a mistake on this and offered me it at first, but then drove back to my home an hour later and said sorry but he made a mistake.

Just check at the post office for where you want to send it to and by which method.

Cheers... will have to do a bit of research. I was going to use shipmates but now as I pack up our stuff I think that there might not be as much as I first thought... not enough to make their cost worth it anyway.

But as we are sending the PS3, DVD player and other random expensive things I want to be sure it's gonna get there in one piece - or be able to be replaced!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.

Do you live in BFI kek or am I going to have to drive into my local city?

If I can ring an English number and say "come pick up my 30kg box and send it to Australia for 1.5man" I am going to be very very happy!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Do you live in BFI kek or am I going to have to drive into my local city?

If I can ring an English number and say "come pick up my 30kg box and send it to Australia for 1.5man" I am going to be very very happy!
    It's not BFI, but a smallish city 40mins south of Osaka. Give the number a ring and see what they say. I expect they will come and pick it up for you, as surely they deliver to you, right?

Righto just back from my friendly post office.

I bought two big yuupaku boxes for 700ish yen. The boxes aren't all that big but the post office lady said that if i am creative I can turn two boxes into one BIG box and the post office is fine with that. That should be all the pace I need and I might get an Mbag for my books as well.

But I think you can only send an M bag from big city post offices so i might have to head on down to Fukuyama for that.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    But I think you can only send an M bag from big city post offices so i might have to head on down to Fukuyama for that.
    yeah for the Mbag you need a big city post office. we learned that there were only 2 post offices in my ken that do it (oddly enough both are in the same city on opposite sides of the station)
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Right dumb question but save me a trip to the post office.

Do I use any old box or should I buy a box from Japan Post or is that even possible?

you cant use boxes that have contained food products when sending to Australia, customs/quarantine wont allow them in.

Does each area have a different english number for the post office or it is just a standard number.

I had to carry my first boxes of winter clothes to the post office and it wasn't easy I would like to avoid that again if possible!!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by kuroneko87 View Post
    Does each area have a different english number for the post office or it is just a standard number.

I had to carry my first boxes of winter clothes to the post office and it wasn't easy I would like to avoid that again if possible!!
    Standard number. When all was said and done, the lady I was speaking to called my local post office and arranged it with them.