Thread: Good warm up games for JHS?

Default Good warm up games for JHS?

At one of my schools, pretty much the only thing I'm allowed to do for class is warm up games. For everything else, I'm a tape recorder.

My JTE's are big fans of the criss-cross game. I really hate that game because the last student standing usually ends up crying. I hate any of these games that humiliate the kids in front of the class.

I've done Bingo a few times, but I get bored with it.

Does anyone have any good ideas for warm up games/activities? Preferably something for a big class (about 30 students)
    Homophobia is so gay.

I <3 Melon Soda

Quote Originally Posted by stufflikethat View Post
    My JTE's are big fans of the criss-cross game. I really hate that game because the last student standing usually ends up crying. I hate any of these games that humiliate the kids in front of the class.
    I don't teach junior high level, but...

This is the way we play Criss-Cross at my high school - everybody stands up, and when a kid raises their hand and answers a question correctly, all kids in the row sit OR if they're already sitting they stand. This keeps more kids involved for longer, and they stay alert. If there's only one kid standing, he always gets the easiest question we can think of. Many times we don't get down to one kid standing, because we just run out of time with them sitting/standing, and just end the game on a time limit. Actually, my kids really like playing this game.

Anything where the kids move around is good (shiritori on the blackboard, London Bridges, tape some words to the wall they have to run and find...). This is my favorite warm-up game list: http://www.shaneycrawford.com/Main/Games

Default Re: Good warm up games for JHS?

I've played many varieties of criss-cross. I've ... never seen kids start crying. I really don't get it. What's so traumatic about standing up? I mean, I was a JHSer once too, but...

I've noticed the JTEs always throwing the last kids like "HOW ARE YOU?" or something. I didn't really connect it with the being embarrassed of standing thing...I thought it was because they were assuming they were the dumb kids. I thought it was actually kind of insulting, so I usually insist on doing at least ordinary questions (which are still pretty easy). Although now that I'm connecting it with the embarrassment thing...hmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Come on - how would you like to be shown up as the class thickie in front of everyone and standing on your own? Asking them an easy question is all well and good, but it's only highlighting how crap they are at English. I play that game, but I try to end it before we get down to one.

I have one JTE who makes everyone go one by one rather than by rows. It takes freaking forever and the kids lose interest after a few minutes.

Although this doesn't have much educational value, I find shirtori can get the kids energized. I also do pictionary for a few minutes which gets at least a few of the kids excited. (as opposed to the row game where everyone looks like they want to die).

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

To revise numbers.
    Have the kids walk/run around, then yell out a number. They then have to form groups that have that number of people. Whoever is leftover sits down.
    It's not as humiliating as criss-cross because they don't have to answer any questions.
    It's also useful if you need them in groups of a certain number for whatever you're doing that day - just make sure it's the last number you call.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

The Hokey Pokey. Seriously.

Relay games are also good. Divide them into two groups and have one group line up in front of you and one group in front of the JTE. When you say "Go," you and the JTE each ask the student at the front some sort of easy question, and when they answer it, they run to the back of the line. When everybody has gone, they all sit down. First group to sit down wins. It only takes about five minutes, but it gets the students really energized and thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They are like elongated octopi, but with only 6 testicles.

thanks for all the ideas, everyone. I'll try some of these
    Homophobia is so gay.

Burasuto from the pasuto. Wanderlust King's Avatar

I've heard Pictionary sometimes doesn't go over very well, but what about a version of it where I draw all the pictures?

Random kid gets picked in the class to whisper to me a noun/verb that they recently learned, and I have 1 minute to draw it on the board as best I can. All the kids (except the one) try to guess what it is until time runs out. As a prize, I could give out a raffle ticket or a card point or something?

I thought it'd be kind of funny for them to watch teacher try to draw stupid shit.

Burasuto from the pasuto. Wanderlust King's Avatar

Ah, and here's a Battleship board I drew up, if anyone wants to use it. I'm sure this stuff is available on JET sites somewhere, but I kind of like making these things for myself. PM for a clearer, larger version if you want.

Last edited by Wanderlust King; June 28th, 2009 at 04:14.

Telephone game works well for me. I make it related to whatever they're studying. Gokiburi game is also good.

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

...Wow. I've already responded to this thread. Thus, I'm replacing my repeated instructions for a relay game with this sentence. Failure.
    Last edited by goloons; July 8th, 2009 at 09:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They are like elongated octopi, but with only 6 testicles.