Thread: International High Schools

Default International High Schools

This isn't going to be an issue for a while as I'm just finishing up my first year, but I'm interested in the possibility of teaching at an international high school after I'm done with JET. Has anyone else done this or know of any information?
    "We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by PC812 View Post
    This isn't going to be an issue for a while as I'm just finishing up my first year, but I'm interested in the possibility of teaching at an international high school after I'm done with JET. Has anyone else done this or know of any information?
    Do you have any teaching qualifications other than just being an ALT?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

In the States, I was a substitute teacher for a year but no official credentials. Probably should have been more specific in my initial post, but I was wondering what sort of credentials are needed here.
    "We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: International High Schools

I've looked into it and most prefer actually credentials (liscence) as well as experience.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Shops smart, shops S-Mart Kitsune's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PC812 View Post
    This is actually exactly what I want to do when I'm done
    Of course, after JET I have to come back to Canada and do Teacher's College for a year. I would think you need at least a B. Ed before being able to teach there. What are your teachables? (I have Bio and Math) Or are you doing something like foreign language teaching (i.e. teaching the foreigners to speak Japanese)
    - The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed -

"
    When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons."

Quote Originally Posted by BritishChris
    I am not cranky and pissy, I'm a ray of fucking sunshine.

I've got my BA in English (literature, not language), I did a bit of the education program in college (had to drop it because of severe overcrowding) and I'd probably want to focus on something in that vein.
    -Kurt Vonnegut

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

just for some basic info, take a look at this list of international schools in the tokyo and yokohama area, if you go to each specific webpage some have information on what you would need to work there.

http://www.realestate-tokyo.com/info/school/
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

The only person I know who has done this after JET had a teaching license in his home country in math. (He teaches math now too.)

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

another thing you can look into is private schools, they hire alts directly most of the time, and usually have good contracts. the only thing that is difficult is that 9/10 times they hire in april like the normal japanese schedule. so if you are done in august you will have a bunch of time inbetween. but interac i think and some other places let you sign 6 month contracts with them so that could work out perfect
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Private schools was something else I was considering. Thanks for the info, everyone!
    -Kurt Vonnegut