Thread: I can do something something lesson?

Default I can do something something lesson?

Anyone have a game for an 'Can you blah blah blah? Yes, I can' lesson?

Most important part is the zero prep time. The class is tomorrow and I don't have time to make anything.
    thanks!

Default Re: I can do something something lesson?

Give each student a blank piece of paper/card. Have everyone write down something you can do (swim, cook, sing, play a piano, etc.) on their card. Then everyone stands up and asks another person "Can you (thing on the card)?", and the person they ask, asks them what's on their card. When both people have asked, they trade cards and go off to ask someone else with the new card. You can let it run as long as you want, or tell them that they can sit down once they've gotten their original card back. You can write a card and join too.

No idea if this is level-appropriate or what you're looking for but maybe?
    Last edited by Sorccy; June 8th, 2009 at 15:46.

Ah, forgot to mention the level. It's for grade 6 elementary school so that's a bit advanced. Sounds like fun though, so I may use it in the future. Thanks!

I have found the following:
    an american idol game which looks like fun:
    http://genkienglish.net/iwannamakeyouastar.htm

and also this site:
    http://www.sendaiedu.com/bynewhorizonstext1.html

but haven't decided yet. The trouble with everybody saying their own thing is that it takes too long to teach them everything individually, they forget it, and then whoever they tell doesn't understand.
    Last edited by Banana Hammock; June 8th, 2009 at 15:58.

Default Re: I can do something something lesson?

Battleship or Bingo.

My class was a success. Here's what I did, in case you cared.

It was the first time the kids had done 'I can' and to me it just seemed like a huge can of worms. If you start teaching different activities then the kids have too many words to remember (after all, how many new words can you hear and be able to repeat in 20 minutes?). If you do
    -I can play tennis
    -I can play the piano
    -I can swim
    -I can make an omelet
    -I can ride a unicycle

or even worse, you let the kids choose what they can do and can't do. You will have to teach new words to a bunch of kids and if they remember them correctly, no other kids will be able to understand/remember those phrases.

So, this is what I did:
    I introduced 'I can'. correct pronunciation and repetition
    I chose to only do sports which use 'play'. Used 10 flashcards. For every card we did:
    tennis
    play tennis
    I can play tennis

Then we did a quick 10 minute sports basket (fruit basket). Kid in the middle says "I can play ______ and _______ and _______"
    I point to the cards on the board and the kid says that sport. This way all the words get used evenly. If you don't do this, nobody will pick the difficult cards. I then say "go!" and the kids run around.

By now, the kids are confident with "I can". I then explain the question form: "Can you play tennis?"
    We repeat it a few times but I tell them not to worry about it since I'll be the one saying it this class. They just need to understand.
    Then I introduce/review "Yes" and "No". Then build it up to "yes, I can" and "No, I can't".
    Repeat a few times then go into another 10 minute game.
    There are more rules which make it more fun but basically everyone stands up and I ask "can you play soccer?" and they put their hand up and the person i pick answers "Yes, I can" or "No, I can't" and they can sit down. The people left standing have to do a batsu game