Thread: Preds: Find your successor! [AKA: Shady Deals]

Default Preds: Find your successor! (AKA: Shady Deals)

Probably too late for this year, maybe good for next...
    it's clear from the posts at BD that some of the placement lists are circulating for JETs already there. this has prompted a mad rush of incomings to say "I am I.C.N from Portland, majored in xxxx," etc, in hopes that someone will see them. A few have been lucky, but most have not.
    so....why not just facilitate the process next year? at best, JETs will know their placement results before, and even be in contact with their predz much earlier. at worst, CLAIR will get pissed, and keep the lists more locked down, which wouldn't hurt anyone (really) since so few people are actually successful in locating their predz anyway.
    something like an incoming index, sorted by last name initial, where incomers enter whatever data they feel comfortable with. current JETs (that's us at that time) could PM after that. CLAIR would probably know, and not be able to do anything about it, and everyone would be a lot happier and less stressed.
    -m

VIP

I think i know what you're getting at. Most if not all of that info is already available in the profile section. If i was a JET with a list of incomings, i could search the profiles for matches.

It might encourage ppl to update their profiles with accurate info too.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

short story: profiles not useful.
    long story: see below.
    right - the reason i'm posting this in the site-related section is because i think it would be more successful if it was part of the site, aside from profiles. part of the reason is simply that doing a member search gets everyone's profile, so incoming jETs aren't separated from current jETs. the member search also is tailored toward...finding people to hook up with. i mean really, you can search for location, interests, and age, and that's about it. can't search for the things people are posting so that current JETs can find them, like....major in university, placement request, teaching experience...you know, the things on our application form that phpBB didn't think about.
    so one alternative would be to add the most popular search keys to the profile and profile search pages, as well as a field denoting your status as incoming--incomings could enter keywords, etc, in these fields, then searchable by the people in japan to locate them. this is kind of ghetto-rigging the phpBB profiles to act accrording to very specific parameters.
    leaving the profile search as it is won't work at all unless people put the full text of their application in the "extra info" textarea. searching it would then become painfully slow, buttressed by the fact that most people would never think to do such a thing.
    still i think it would be 100% better to just make this a section of the site, or an external link, or whatnot--something made to do this.
    people are more likely to use something if it's there for a specific reason. if they have to jump through weird ghetto-rigged hoops to do something, or it's simply not as effective, then expect less usage, bottom-line. and this particular idea is really only something that works with a lot of people participating--quantity is crucial.
    it sounds like a bitch, i know, but imagine even half of us having some idea where we're going next year a week ago
    -m

VIP

OK, we're looking into this. I think its a good idea in principle. Clearly its too late for this year, but we could have something in place for next year.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul

Dammit, why didn't anyone remind me about this?!
    because I've been up to my elbows in placenta
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

One thing to note is that JETs are not officially allowed to get in contact with their successors until their BoE tell them they can. It might get folks into trouble if there in an official search for successor/preds section on the site. Just a thought.

VIP

Well, it would officially be unofficial, of course.
    Mabushiii!!!

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Is this something that's going to happen for this year's intake?

VIP

Would be nice. Any ideas on how it would work?

Simplest way would be to simply create a master list of all incomings, with name(or part of), degree, teaching exp, prefecture, etc. Then when people get hints from their BoE, they can compare to the list.

Of course, its got some downsides, like people dont want to make that stuff public. Could put it in a searchable database, but its still pretty public. I guess we could restrict searches to people registered in that prefecture in our profile. That sounds like a lot of hassle though.

Any better ideas or systems? Post em here, we have a few weeks/months before the early birds start to find out.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

So JET doesn't give you your preds information? I think it would be a great idea to have a database but you're right, lots of people don't want that information to go public. Kind of an impossible situation...

VIP

When preds get the information depends on the contracting organisation. Some find out well beforehand, while others (like me) find out 1 or 2 weeks before.

However, the ones who find out early often dont have contact info, or arent supposed to contact them yet. However, being the kind souls they are, they do a bit of research, find out who it is, and contact them early. Thats what we are trying to facilitate.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

What happened to this idea? Is it too late to implement it this year?

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Not that any of you would know yet but if you are headed to Shiga (Nishiazai in particular) let me know...
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

For anyone who is interested, I decided to set this up on WikiJET:

http://jet.wikia.com/wiki/Incoming_JETs

http://jet.wikia.com/wiki/Outgoing_JETs

Paul, is it ok if I post this in the Applying forum? I don't want to be accused of spamming...