Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: China experts - talk to me

Quote Originally Posted by SethArmstrong View Post
    the japanese concept of respect and politeness is based on the 19th century british class system?
    No it's based on their own class and rank system. Notice how cranky old ojisan never say please or thank you?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi View Post
    Stop being so god damn positive!
    it's either that or have a fucking heart attack!
    a brand new baby in a country i've never been to where i don't speak the language...

i have to stay positive!
    [i'm positive i'm shitting myself]
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Default Re: China experts - talk to me

Why are you going to China, Wicket?

When I went, I was kinda nervous and freaking out on the airplane wondering WHYYYY I was on it. But it turned out to be amazing! The food is the best and super cheap. You can go to a restaurant, get lots of tasty (mystery?) foods and not pay much at all (especially if you go with a group). Also fun shopping. I love to haggle now!

Other than a little occaisional China cough, my classmates and I never got sick there. We, however, dropped like flies once in Japan. WEIRD.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    No it's based on their own class and rank system. Notice how cranky old ojisan never say please or thank you?
    All my friends' uncles I have met have been very polite.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Why are you going to China, Wicket?
    Thanks for the positive words about China!
    Looks like my better half may have scored himself a job there and I don't fancy staying in England without him.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Are you gonna try get a job at an international school, or would you prefer teaching English again?

There's plenty of work at unis around the place. Shanghai is a very livable city. I'm sure you'll have a blast there... even with a kid.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Plus, depending on the length of your stay, your kid can learn some Chinese whilst you are there, how awesome is that?

You guys are great! Thanks - feeling lots more positive. I'd much rather my kid grew up bilingual in Japanese, since I've spent so much of my life on it, but Chinese will probably be more useful back in Australia.

Depending on how much Andy will be earning, I'm hoping to not have to go back to work at all - at least for a few years. Although I might do some private tutoring and I've got an update of a textbook to tweak and edit before November. Quite looking forward to staying home with my kid actually - I've been in fulltime work over 20 years now.

Great edit, dombay!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Something I know a little about!
    My best friend lived in Nanjing, a neighboring city of Shanghai, for several years. It's not a bad area and has a large international community. I agree with everyone that Beijing is not a place to live only visit. Moreover, perhaps be careful about mentioning your involvement with Japan, especially in the Nanjing area. We all know it's a sensitive issue, but there are many people who are still very angry and upset. Japan and China have a complicated relationship and you have to tread really cautiously. Some people don't care, but some people care a lot. That said, China is a very child oriented country. You might find a lot of nice grandmas looking to help you out. It's often characterized as a very every man for yourself culture, but there are lots of good people there like anywhere. When I visited my best friend, I met many lovely people who welcomed me into their homes and we patient with my very poor Mandarin skills.
    Last edited by elleohelle; June 15th, 2009 at 04:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

Thanks for the advice, but I won't be playing down my involvement with Japan at all - doesn't mean I'm going to defend Japan's past actions or anything, but I'm not going to pretend 6 years of my life never happened!

Of course. And I just asked my friend about it and she mentioned most people affected by the massacre are no longer living in Nanjing because of migration stuff. Lots of people don't care. I just know it's a sensitive enough issue with my friend she refuses to visit me in Japan and considers Japan worse than Nazi Germany. Not out for a debate or anything, but it's a sensitive issue.

Edit: If I was married and my husband was making me move to a developing country (a lovely one, but...) I would be so fucking pissed.
    Last edited by elleohelle; June 15th, 2009 at 05:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

i appreciate the warning - seriously; and i'll be sensitive about it. like i said, i won't deny my japan experience, but i'm not going to make a big song and dance about it either!

i think in big cities young people think Japan is pretty cool.

Older people and especially outside of big cities might not be.

There have been recent incidents with sort of semi-riots going out of anger of Japanese international students as well. China - gotta love it warts and all.

Oh that is a good point, be careful with sensitive issues in general... like politics and religion. My friend was talking to a Chinese friend once about something political and the guy said that he couldn't say anymore (can't remember exactly what). Nothing to worry about, just be careful. Young people tend to be outgoing.... and curious too! But sometimes they get nervous talking about certain issues.

it really depends on the people.. politics are always sensitive in any country and something you don't bring up unless you are ready for the follow on that may come. I got asked on my first day in China by my ex's father what my thoughts were on Taiwan and if it belonged to PRC. I told him exactly what i thought and he was fine with it. Don't need put fear into Wicket to be careful etc, i am sure she knows how to handle those issues. Not like there aren't any with Japan anyway, haha.

China is an amazing place and you are going to love it, good luck!!

What ARE your thoughts on it Karamu?

Boo hiss.
    After 3 phone calls and emails pinging back and forth for a couple of weeks, they've now decided that he has too much experience in texturing and not enough in coding for the job they wanted him to do.
    Back to the drawing board...

We're going to be living in a cardboard box at this rate. I really really don't want to have to go back to full-time teaching with a newborn at home, regardless of how good a job my husband would do taking care of the baby.