Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Easy to read novels

  1. #21
    Senior Member Urthona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ishikawa
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    Whatever

    宇宙 was straight up on JLPT 2級

    Thanking 銀河英雄伝説 for that one.
    Space is a common word, I'm thinking of stuff you get in the vampire, fighting, whatever manga as somewhat less useful.

  2. #22
    Senior Member kamukamuume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    probably somewhere in japan
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urthona View Post
    Space is a common word, I'm thinking of stuff you get in the vampire, fighting, whatever manga as somewhat less useful.
    to add to the fact that even if that stuff did appear in the JLPT 2, that wouldn't change the fact that it's not useful in everyday life.

    there was also an essay about the characteristics of some jungle-dwelling mammal, but that's not the first conversation I'd have in a bar.

  3. #23
    ITIL's Favorite Beaner! Gusuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Japanese version of the Central Valley
    Posts
    8,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post
    to add to the fact that even if that stuff did appear in the JLPT 2, that wouldn't change the fact that it's not useful in everyday life.

    there was also an essay about the characteristics of some jungle-dwelling mammal, but that's not the first conversation I'd have in a bar.
    Hahahahaha, that question was pretty easy! I don't think there's such a thing as useless vocab; I'm playing Gundam: Gihren's Greed for PSP, and I'm learning a ton of military related vocab. Sure, I'm not going to use it in real life, but it's fun to learn, and I'm still increasing my Japanese vocabulary.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hokkaido
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusuke View Post
    Hahahahaha, that question was pretty easy! I don't think there's such a thing as useless vocab; I'm playing Gundam: Gihren's Greed for PSP, and I'm learning a ton of military related vocab. Sure, I'm not going to use it in real life, but it's fun to learn, and I'm still increasing my Japanese vocabulary.
    Yeah, I think so too. Whenever I dismiss a word as "useless", it's exactly that word that comes up in conversation a few days later and I can never remember it.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Igor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hokkaido
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Seriously, I was like, komorebi, who the fuck uses that? And then like two of the enka songs the old dudes at the BoE sang the next week had it in. There's a matter of precedence as far as what you ought to spend most of your energy memorizing, but even so nothing's actually useless.

    Also, on the manga = NO discussion... While that's true to some extent, you also don't sound natural if you only stick to novel/essay format, either. If someone studying English asked me for reading recommendations to help their spoken English, I'd probably give them Batman over Hemmingway. Of course real people are best, but you can't always have real people around, or even radio/TV/whatever. All things in moderation, etc. etc. If someone's smart enough to realize that what they're reading is going to be somewhat different from how people actually speak I don't see the problem, and if they're not, they're going to have an uphill battle whatever they do.

  6. #26
    VIP UPGRAYEDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    4,158

    Default Re: Easy to read novels

    I'd rather talk like the Japanese equilivent of Faulkner than Batman.

    Also Hemmingway is a very casual straight to the point writer and I think his books would be a good tool for people trying to learn English.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

  7. #27
    Senior Member Igor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hokkaido
    Posts
    544

    Default

    All the Japanese people will say you sound like a stiff, though. If you're cool with that, whatever I guess!

  8. #28
    VIP UPGRAYEDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    4,158

    Default Re: Easy to read novels

    Maybe I should just say that I'd rather talk like a university educated person than a working class dude.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

  9. #29
    Senior Member Igor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hokkaido
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Most working class dudes are university educated, though. My younger teachers/BoE people quote Gundam ironically. You're bound to make more friends doing likewise than sounding like Soseki, unless you're aiming for the ojisan crowd. I dunno, like I said, to each his own, I just prefer to mix it up. You can learn something useful from pretty much any source.

  10. #30
    Senior Member kamukamuume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    probably somewhere in japan
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    let me clarified this ones.

    there's no word that's entirely useless, but we only have so much time on this spinning earth, and it could be argued that you'd be better off learning words and grammar by frequency/likelihood to come up in everyday life.

    I mean, if I'm going to be studying Japanese either way, I'd rather learn to be like "hey man, I kind of fucked up my knee. could you help me find a hospital?" than "I seem to have collapsed upon this paved sidewalk. a rather excruciating pain is radiating from what I believe to be my knee. can I receive the favor of having you inform me as to where the nearest hospital may be?"

    eventually, though, it'd be nice to learn to say that so you could bust it out at really strange times.

  11. #31
    ERRRRRGG Avocado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,717

    Default Re: Easy to read novels

    I think that as long as you're actively doing SOMETHING with the language you're doing pretty well for yourself. Vocabulary learned is vocabularly learned, and if you ever feel that you're missing some all important word then it's easy enough to look that up on your own independently and add it to your list of things to study.

  12. #32
    Senior Member kamukamuume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    probably somewhere in japan
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    I think that as long as you're actively doing SOMETHING with the language you're doing pretty well for yourself. Vocabulary learned is vocabularly learned, and if you ever feel that you're missing some all important word then it's easy enough to look that up on your own independently and add it to your list of things to study.
    I feel like the way the Japanese education system teaches English is proof that that's not true.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Igor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hokkaido
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post

    I mean, if I'm going to be studying Japanese either way, I'd rather learn to be like "hey man, I kind of fucked up my knee. could you help me find a hospital?" than "I seem to have collapsed upon this paved sidewalk. a rather excruciating pain is radiating from what I believe to be my knee. can I receive the favor of having you inform me as to where the nearest hospital may be?"

    eventually, though, it'd be nice to learn to say that so you could bust it out at really strange times.
    Yeah, that's pretty much my approach. If you just stick to fancy-schmancy kanji words, you tend not to be able to come up with them in the heat of a conversation and then you're totally fucked. If you build a foundation of simple words you can just be like, 'yeah, the twisty thing you use on wine corks' when you blank on 'corkscrew', which people do all the time in their native languages anyway.

    Which is why I pretty much read everything I can get my hands on, especially light fluffy stuff, because volume gets you used to the easy words that people use all the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •