Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AEON

Default AEON

Has anyone been through an interview with them that can tell me a bit of what to expect? I know the basic blurb but anything more than that would be appreciated. I know you're an honest lot, so let rip. Many thanks.
    (I know there's another Aeon thread but I hear some things have changed in the last year. Is this true?)
    Last edited by Beat; May 29th, 2010 at 22:52.

Default Re: AEON

I interviewed with Aeon in London back in February. There was about 60 or so there all together and two recruiters.

The day basically went like this: The two recruiters gave a presentation for a couple of hours about what Aeon was and stuff. Then they split us into groups and called us in two groups at a time for the sample lessons (my group was last so I had to wait around for 5 hours which was shit but you might be luckier).

Sample lesson - I really didn't enjoy this part. About 7-10 in a group and you take it in turn to do your lesson with the others playing the part of the students. Problem is that the 'students' are either focused on their own lesson that's coming up, or reflecting on how theirs went. Also the recruiters seemed to be a lot less friendly in this section - adding to the already weird atmosphere.

After everyone has taught then you do a 10 minute grammar test and quiz. I can't really remember much about the tests but things like spelling awkward words, correcting sentences and stuff about how you would be a good employee.

If you do well enough they invite you back for a one-on-one interview. That's all I remember really. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll ramble some more.

Thanks for that. Did they offer you a job? What did you think of the company?

FiercestCalm

Ditto on heeyal's stuff. I went to an interview in March. I was asked back after the first day for a personal interview. It was quite long, about 30-40 minutes. We started out with another sample lesson. The recruiter gave me a page from one of AEON's curriculum books and asked that I give a 5 minute lesson based on that sheet. I did so, then he pointed out things that were wrong with the lesson I gave and asked me to do it again.

For the lesson, I've forgotten some of the points he was looking for, but things I remember are that it's important to smile a lot and be friendly and give a lot of feedback to the 'student.'

Next he asked some standard Eikawa-type interview questions - what are your strengths and weaknesses, why did you choose AEON, how will you adapt to life in Japan, etc. He also asked some questions about the information they covered the first day, so be sure to pay attention!

Lastly he just did some general housekeeping questions about placement and ability, then showed me what a typical week at AEON would be like. A few weeks later I got a letter saying I'd been rejected, so... haha, dunno how useful this information will be anyway. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Did they offer you a job? What did you think of the company?
    Ha! No job offer for me, I was culled after the first round.

Re the company: they seemed OK. It's always difficult to try and suss out any company from their interview sessions when generally their only going to be presenting themselves shrowded in golden light. But I would guess (and this is only a guess from what I've seen at the interview and read online - both to be taken with a big ol' bag of salt) that they could be an alright lot to work for. A lot of people have mentioned a cult vibe that they got from AEON, I can sort of see where they're coming from, they mention 'The AEON way' quite a few times but like all things I think whether you enjoy working there or not will be highly dependent on your co-workers.

Good luck for your interview, and as FC mentioned - smile dammit! Smile like your life depends on it!

I taught for AEON for two years in Niigata-shi. The training and recruiting staff definitely try to keep everyone genki and mention the 'Aeon Way' a fair bit, but I think "cultish" is too strong a term. They have a fairly strong corporate culture, but no more than that.

The job itself was fine. I enjoyed managing my own classroom and getting to know my students. I didn't get paid as much or get as much time off as my friends in JET, but I was comfortable and happy.

The biggest downside is that because AEON is a for-profit company, they will pressure you to sell more classes/books/CDs to your students. I always hated the reminder that I was supposed to be a salesman AND a teacher, and I never tried very hard to sell anything.

As for the interview- it was more than 6 years ago now, so my recollection is foggy. As I recall, it was an all-afternoon affair that started with a presentation on AEON's structure and goals, as well as an overview on life in Japan. There was a short break, and then all the applicants did 10-minute demo lessons with the other applicants and recruiters serving as students. There was also a one-page English grammar test Another short break, and the applicants who'd done well so far did one-on-one lessons with a recruiter who pretended to be a shy Japanese student.

That was that. Some weeks later I got a phone call to say I'd been accepted, then a bunch of paperwork by mail. As I recall, there was a non-refundable processing fee of something like $100-200 dollars, and I had to buy my own plane ticket. Once I landed in Narita, AEON had a team there to pick up the new arrivals and shuttle us off for a week of training before we headed out to our branch schools.

All of my experience is from 2003-2005, so things may or may not have changed.

Thanks for the info guys. Where were you based Doc? What's the housing generally like?

I taught in Niigata-shi, Niigata-ken. My apartment was old, but nice- spacious and reasonably affordable, although the hot water heater was never up to snuff in the winter. AEON subsidized the rent- as I recall, AEON teachers paid 41,000 yen and everything after that AEON picked up. Rent was paid directly from my paychecks, and I didn't have to worry about key money or deposit or anything. The apartment came fully furnished with fridge, toaster over, tiny tv and VCR, kotatsu, bed, desk, rice cooker, pots and pans, etc. My predecessor didn't charge me for anything, although on my own initiative I upgraded the TV and then sold it at a huge discount to my own successor.

I visited several friends throughout Japan who also taught for AEON. They all had nice enough apartments, although I think mine was the biggest. The one I saw in Tokyo was pretty small, but typical for that city. Rent was standardized at a bit over 4 man, with anything over that covered by AEON.
    Last edited by DocBosch; June 17th, 2009 at 05:05.

While surfing net i came here and find this web different one...i found useful information at here...There are certainly many different posts at here...And this one also seems to me different one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabler View Post
    While surfing net i came here and find this web different one...i found useful information at here...There are certainly many different posts at here...And this one also seems to me different one!
    Wow good luck being an english teacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Whose JTE found his way here, fess up.

to Jabler, every thread on every messageboard on the internet is a snowflake, unique and fragile like the only son of a late-medieval european monarch.

that's what you meant, right Jabler?

Eh, he's not really any worse than the OP. I'm suspicious that a job teaching English will probably continue to "allude" him.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Aeon is ok. Bit dodgey but they all are. Most people think they are alright. The heavy sales thing sucks.

Interviewing in Japan and outside Japan is completely different. In Japan it is much less formal and a lot more devious, the interviewer WAS one of the students and he was hafu so I did not notice at first. Pay attention. Usual crap with the trial lessons etc.

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was just invited to attend the AEON session in July and am wondering what people have to say about the company. I read that AEON makes you work pretty much all the time, so much that you get maybe a handful of five minute breaks in a twelve hour day. I guess I just want to know if this true or exaggerated or maybe that just some people had terrible experiences but others had great ones.

Also, as for the sales aspect, how much is this enforced? Thanks.

You may feel pressured to do overtime at times but it's not going to be much and if you really object you can get out of it. I don't think any foreign teacher is doing 12 hour days. I would be surprised if many were working more than 40/week.

They are up front about asking you to come in early, take turns with garbage, generally help out and have a positive attitude. As for hours and pay, you sign a contract and they will honor it.

I was there 2.5 years, during which time we went through 4 managers, which greatly affected how pleasant or unpleasant the job was.

During the worst of it we had poorly arranged scheduled and not enough time to prepare. My 2 coworkers stayed late during this period, maybe 30 - 60 min a few nights a week. I never did.

Other stuff I found quite reasonable. If I was studying on a break and they asked me to interview a prospective student, I really didn't mind. If this bothered you, it is perfectly okay to leave on your breaks, in which case obviously no one could ask you anything.

Anyway, a lot will vary depending on your particular staff and school but even worst case scenario isn't going to be that bad.

The sales thing sucks and they were getting worse about it while I was there. I suggest taking your least favorite students and make sure the manager is around while selling to them.

My mistake. I read the hours "10 am to 10pm" on this sheet they sent me as an indication of schedule but that's just the window of time in which you work I guess.
    Last edited by western youth; May 10th, 2011 at 13:06.

OK so I've decided to go attend one of their info sessions in two months. I was wondering if someone could tell me about the lesson plan they presented. I don't need to know about the topics you chose because I understand that's something I need to do but...I was hoping to get some information about the format of the lesson they gave. For the 30 minute lesson they want you to submit, are they expecting you to make like a binder full of worksheets? Or could there just be a list that reads like, "Talk about ___ by making presentations for 10 minutes. Then have them do an in-class worksheet for 5 minutes"? I don't expect to be handed a full list to copy from but some idea of what people have done would be helpful.
    Last edited by western youth; May 24th, 2011 at 12:00.

If I recall you hand in a lesson plan for 30 minutes but only teach 5 minutes of it. So the plan is the plan, not full worksheets, and you only need sheets or materials for the part you will actually teach.

I think the plan is to show how the activity you teach would fit in the context of a lesson.

Adults, Main topic - past perfect
    Have you ever ... ?
    Yes I have, No I haven't

In the lesson plan something as simple as
    Drills (5 minutes)
    see - saw - seen, eat - ate - eaten, and a few more would be fine

You'd need to note other stuff this way, possible intro, go over the "Have you ever" question, giving them or brainstorming some movies or food, and probably going over answers*

For the activity they would ask each other "Have you ever seen Star Wars" or whatever and depending on ability and time, make it a longer conversation. (the part you would teach in the interview)

For AEON it should be as gay and "fun" as possible, so you could have little cards of DVDs and some food face down so the students could draw one and make a question based on that.

Try to get a hard-on while interacting with male students for guaranteed success!

*sounds ridiculous but almost certainly some students would get confused about "Yes I saw" vs "Yes I have" or "Yes, I saw it last week." Real students are used to be treated like sheep so it's best to put on the leather pants and tell them exactly what you want.

As an AEON applicant you are certainly not expected to share my experience and opinions, but anyway, that's why it is okay to put obvious things in your lesson plan, they are probably not obvious to students.

AEON just wants to see your potential to smile and be patient and keep things fun and lively no matter what. Obviously your demo students already speak fine and would be able to burn through that 2-line conversation in a minute. Your real challenge is timing that 5 minutes well and making sure you have some back-ups in mind.

Maybe go over cards and questions for recognition and clarity and to kill the first couple minutes. If students are doing it quickly and smoothly, have something to indicate it is okay to do more, as simple as writing "When..." or "Where..." on the board, though not necessarily realistic in a class with Japanese students, would be infinitely better to having your pretend students repeat the simple question and answer awkwardly for 3 minutes straight while you stand there looking uncomfortable (with a hard-on).
    Last edited by privileged; May 25th, 2011 at 00:52.

Thank you so much for the lengthy response, I really appreciate it.