Thread: Post-JET Opportunities

Default Post-JET Opportunities

Hey all

My name is Aileen and I am a 3rd (and final) year JET in Ehime Prefecture. I just wanted to come on here and let you all know about some awesome opportunities that are available post-JET. Many of you will have, during your time in Japan, heard about PEPY (Education in Cambodia - The PEPY Ride - Adventurous Living. Responsible Giving.) which is a non-for-profit, educational NGO based in Cambodia. The original founders of PEPY were once JETs and as such, the link between the two organisations is still strong. Every year many JETs go to Cambodia to take part in one of PEPY's tours (the funds raised from which go towards ongoing development projects in rural areas of Cambodia) and learn about Cambodia, development and PEPY programs.

This summer PEPY is offering it's cheapest tour to date, at a mere $280. For this small price you can spend one week experiencing the lifestyle of a rural Cambodian. Participants will live with limited electricity, use bucket showers of cold water pumped from below the ground with their own two hands, eat locally produced meals and integrate with the community around them. This is an exciting hands on adventure - those who require air conditioning and room service need not apply!

This is a rare opportunity to learn not only about the work which PEPY does, but also about their partner organisations, working in the area, to improve standards of living and education, for Cambodian people.

And luckily for us, this trip will take place shortly after we all bid farewell to our Japanese friends, and set sail for our homelands. So if anyone is thinking of travelling for a wee while during August, and this sounds to your liking, check out Rural Experiential Tour - PEPY Tours for more information!

For anyone interested in NGO work and looking for an opportunity to volunteer on a slightly more long term basis, there are internships available between August and February. PEPY is currently looking for THREE interns for the fall 2009.

1. Marketing/PR Intern (6 months)
    Help to market tours, write articles about the education and
    development work PEPY is doing, correspond with media, and manage the monthly newsletter. Requirements: good writing skills, creative
    thinker, able to work independently, past marketing or PR experience a
    plus. Based in Siem Reap.

2. PEPY Trip Leader (6 months)
    Lead trips with PEPY! JET Tours, cycling tours, educational tours, Bike
    'n Boat tours, sustainable development tours, custom family trips, PEPY
    needs you to help their work, and Cambodia, to others around the
    globe! Requirements: outgoing personality, organized, able to work
    well in a team, strong leadership, good verbal and written
    communication, past trip leading experience a plus. Based in Siem
    Reap.

3. Small Business Development Intern (6-12 months)
    PEPY is hoping to develop some small income generation projects in
    Chanleas Dai, involving bringing locally produced products to tourist
    areas of Siem Reap and training local staff to manage the process.
    This position is NEW and requires a very motivated and initiative-
    driven intern, preferably with a background in sales, marketing, fair
    trade, or capacity building. Based in Chanleas Dai and Siem Reap.

All internships require a 6 month commitment, after which paying
    opportunities are available. Shared accommodation and visas are
    typically provided. Be sure to check out www.pepyride.org to learn
    more about what PEPY is doing in Cambodia, and to get an idea whether a position at PEPY might be a fit for you! For
    more information on specific opportunities please send your CV, cover
    letter and PEPY application (available on our website under Support)
    to maryann@pepyride.org

Default Re: Post-JET Opportunities

Oh, that marketing thing is definitely something I would like to do, but I'm an incoming JET rather than outgoing JET, unfortunately...How often do these kinds of positions open up there? (Like marketing or business related).

Positions with PEPY tend to open up at various points throughout the year, though with the JET contract, the August positions are most convenient for people leaving JET. In Japan there are a number of ways to get involved in supporting PEPY, particularly with promotions. Email ajetsig@pepyride.org for more information!

Thanks for your interest!

This is something I really might be interested in, too. I've been looking for opportunities in Cambodia. Would running this place count as PR/Marketing experience?

Definitely!

PEPY promotion is done in large part, on the internet! Spreading information, keeping sites updated, networking, and so on. So having experience in running a forum, and a good knowledge of the internet would be very useful.

A lot of people apply for internships with little experience at all, but with a passion for change. So having experience in areas that you think you could apply to the position would certainly put you in good stead.

Check out information about internships and in particular, the "PEPY Powers" here: Volunteer Opportunities - The PEPY Ride - Adventurous Living. Responsible Giving. and see if you have what it takes to join the PEPY team!

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Random question which I've always wondered about - what does PEPY stand for?
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

PEPY stands for Protect Earth. Protect Yourself.

Although their main focus is education, they are also concerned with the environmental impact of all decisions they make as an organisation, and all their tours are what you could call "Eco-Tours". Cutting out air conditioned hotel rooms, expensive coach tours, and the like, and opting for cheaper, more healthy, and environmentally friendly options.

Environmental issues were also amongst the first lessons that PEPY founders brought to Cambodia on the first ever PEPY Ride bike tour.
    Last edited by Trivial; June 16th, 2009 at 15:49.

Not doing a PEPY tour or something like it is something that I regret not doing in my three years on JET. I've got a couple of good friends who were involved and they had really awesome things to say about it.

I'd go over now but I have to get back to Australia for uni. Still I think you guys do awesome work.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I've always wanted to help out a S.E. Asian community - but since I was in college, I didn't have the time or money to. I'll be in AEON this August for a year, but after that's done, I'd love to volunteer, especially if I know I'll be getting some quality management or relations experience. As a side note, I have a bit of experience in producing documentary and promotional films. Do you think you guys would ever need something along those lines?
    Last edited by Happyscrappy; June 28th, 2009 at 08:53.