Thread: recommendation letter question

VIP

Default recommendation letter question

Ok, I just received one of my two recommendation letters in the mail yesterday. Problem: The back of the envelope was not signed. It's gone through the mail, been postmarked, etc. and since it is in a single envelope, has been unopened. The boss/professor it was from is over two hours away from my home.

So, is his not signing the back of the seal of the envelope (since it has gone through the mail) going to be a serious issue? Do I mail it back to him to sign it?

This is JET try #2 and since I don't know why I didn't get an interview the last time (except it being in at the last second), I don't want to leave anything to chance!

VIP

I'm from the UK, so dont take this as Gospel for your consulate. But I accidentally opened one of my reference letters, as it wasnt sealed or signed. I read the reference, decided it was a good one, and just put it in a new, self-addressed envelope. So i sent it, un-stamped, un-postmarked, unsigned, and no one said anything.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Wow, both of my references are just A4 pieces of paper with their respective letterheads, and their kind words of course... why does it have to be in an envelope? Is this something to do with the online option you Brits have?

no, I didn't do the online form, and they were needed to be in a sealed envelope with the referees signature over the seal.

and don't worry about 1 side of A4 mine were that long and I got on fine.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Alrighty, sorted. I had a quick glance at papers I have with me. Now this is only the Australian application, but they say it can be sealed or unsealed. So I can breathe again! The only stipulation here on the Aussie application is "references from peers are not encouraged", which is fair enough...

I'm in the clear! As far as references go anyway...

I hope it all goes well Siberakh!

ok, so when I did it one of my referees fergot to sign- I put a couple of lines in pen and an signiture that was unreadabe across it (except for the first letter I think) and it was fine.

you're not the messiah.. you're a very naughty boy!
    It's offical... I HATE EARTHQUAKES!

VIP

Well, I have a copy of his signature and my mom is good at these things so I think this will save me the hassle of remailing it. Parents really do come in handy sometimes :P

Thanks for the help everyone! *runs off to finish filling out the application*

I also sent in one of my references which wasn`t signed on the envelope.