Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using your ketai as your mobile phone...

Default Using your ketai as your mobile phone...

So I just realised that my phone has a hidden compartment with a sim-card in it. I always thought they didn't use them here!

Got me thinking what would happen if I put my Australian sim in and used it. Obviously some things, like email, would be out of the question but both Australia and Japan work on a 3G network. I'd prefer to use my 2 year old bottom of the line Softbank phone over my 5 year old bottom of the line Nokia any day. It'd also be nice to keep the photos.

Has anyone done it before?
    If you've finished the contract, you get to keep the phone, right?
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Default Re: Using your ketai as your mobile phone...

If you've been paying for the phone monthly then surely yes?

And yea if possible I want to do that too because i don't want to buy a phone.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi View Post
    So I just realised that my phone has a hidden compartment with a sim-card in it. I always thought they didn't use them here!

Got me thinking what would happen if I put my Australian sim in and used it. Obviously some things, like email, would be out of the question but both Australia and Japan work on a 3G network. I'd prefer to use my 2 year old bottom of the line Softbank phone over my 5 year old bottom of the line Nokia any day. It'd also be nice to keep the photos.

Has anyone done it before?
    If you've finished the contract, you get to keep the phone, right?
    Just like the phones all over the world, phones are locked by carrier. You can try to have the phone unlocked, but unlike other countries, Japanese carriers aren't required to do so by law...so they won't do it.

I <3 Melon Soda

Be careful... my boyfriend had an AU contract while studying abroad in college, and left the country without returning the phone. AU wouldn't let him cancel his contract without bringing the phone in to return it IN PERSON. That was impossible, since he was already back in America. He ended up paying his phone bill for months until he could send the phone and a note back with someone who was flying over there (and they still gave that guy a hassle).

I don't know how Softbank handles it, but do check!

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Most have a place at the airport, too, where you can hand in your phone or do the final cancellation or whatever.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Just like the phones all over the world, phones are locked by carrier. You can try to have the phone unlocked, but unlike other countries, Japanese carriers aren't required to do so by law...so they won't do it.

That's lame. Oh well, it's worth a shot anyway. Thanks.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by violetessence View Post
    I don't know how Softbank handles it, but do check!
    Softbank lets you keep your phone. My friends just walked into the shop to cancel the service except two had the cards taken out so the phone is no longer functional. So who knows, maybe some shops will try to take the whole phone.

i've been trying to figure this out too. This website (Japanese Cellular Phones FAQ) seems to be saying that softbank phones don't take other operator's SIM cards. it's from 2007 though, so maybe things have changed?

That's fucking evil! I don't want to have to go and get an optus phone or something. I hate optus!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    That's fucking evil! I don't want to have to go and get an optus phone or something. I hate optus!
    you can try unlocking it, there are websites that discuss unlocking japanese phones, but half the stuff will be disabled as the manufacturers built in protection against that kinda shit, I read once that some phones wont let you use the camera unless its got the correct companies sim card in it, unlocked or not.

CRAZYNESS!
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

I took my Softbank Disney phone back to Aus at Christmas to test out that theory, and put my Aus Vodafone SIM in but no dice.
    It may be possible to unlock them, I'm not sure. I didn't look into it though as I needed it when I came back to Japan.

With softbank, if you cancel the plan before your two-year contract is over, I've heard you are stuck with the camera but can you just sell the phone to a successor and have them get working again with Softbank at the fraction of the cost to them of getting a new one?

If you bought the phone there is no legal way they can demand it back. You bought it. It is yours.

It may be entirely useless, but it's YOUR useless phone.

Yeah, I was wondering about selling your phone to your successor. Has anyone done this? I wouldn't want to try it without knowing it would work okay.

Quick update. I turned off my phone at the airport. They warned me ahead of time that it can take 2-3 hours, so I got there quite early. It was really quiet the day I flew out though, so it only took about 1 and a half hours.

I asked again about using my phone overseas. The woman on the phone line said no, they can only be used with Softbank, but the man at the airport said it'll work if you get someone to unlock it. Not sure who's correct, but I may try unlocking it and seeing what happens.

so, any apple nerds know if it will be easy to switch out the sim card in my iphone when i go home?

will i have to jailbreak the phone to get it to work? or can i just stroll into AT&T and say, i wanna use this here?

Jailbreak and ultrasn0w or whatever they call it.

Getting the contract with AT&T though is a different matter, they might not like you rocking up with an iPhone going "yo".
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishChris View Post
    Getting the contract with AT&T though is a different matter, they might not like you rocking up with an iPhone going "yo".
    Since you bought it overseas, I think you'd be okay. You have a perfectly valid reason for having the phone and (as far as I know) it's totally legal to unlock your own phone. I just called to ask them about something similar (not with an iphone) and they didn't seem to care. The guy just said, okay, we'll just sell you a sim card then.

Ug. My brain hurts. Has anyone here ever heard anything about finding unlock codes or unlocking services for japanese phones? If I can unlock my phone, It'll probably work in the US, but I've only managed to find one pretty sketchy looking internet service which says they can unlock it. I'm thinking of giving up and just buying the new phone.

Interesting thought, i completely agree with your perspective